danny445
Conspicuous_Conservative

The government is never going to turn its back on big oil

danny445

Pro

The American government will never turn its back on the oil industry for many reasons. The first and foremost being GREED. You may have politicians saying they are going to try to shift to a less oil-dependent nation, but the truth is some of them would never do that in a million years, because their cronies and them would lose out on big bucks. Secondly, it would also undermine our efforts in Iraq, because oil is what their economy is based on, so how could we ever set them up if we take away their economy? Big oil lobbyists are controlling the path that we take as far as energy is concerned. Is this a global warming debate? no, My opening argument is purely that the politicians are too rich, too greedy, and too selfish to do whats right for the country: remove dependence on foreign oil.
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

First of all I would like to thank my opponent for creating this debate. It is a unique Idea that I have not seen brought up yet in my dealings with Debate.org. I would also like to thank and encourage all other participants and potential voters because they have the power to alter and make debates fun. So with out further a due I will present my first point.

Before I discuss the issues pertaining to our dependence on oil I will rebut my opponents statement that it will "undermine the war effort in Iraq". I do not know where my opponent gets this fact from because we currently are receiving very little if any oil from Iraq and if his argument is that if us stepping away from oil will mean a big loss to the oil industry he is not taking into account the emerging economies of India and China.

My opponent has made a very bold statement that the government is "in bed" so to speak with the big oil businesses. I agree whole heartedly with that statement, it is true that our oil companies nationwide and across the globe have a large hand in our everyday process. With that said I would have to disagree with your topic statement that "government will never turn their back on oil".

Although we agree that the big oil companies and government have a strong relationship with oil you for some reason think that the government will be monogamous. This is laughable because as soon as we find a more lucrative source of fuel. It is already happening here are a number of examples that prove we are taking steps away from oil.

1. Bio-Diesel fuel - This is a the big push for fuels made from corn.

2. Hydrogen Fuel Cell- GM, Honda, Ford and Toyota are all in a race to put out a Fuel Cell car that emits H20 as its bi-product

3. The US government has been making lots of strives towards solar power to power government buildings this year in regards to future power.

4. With more hybrid automobiles and higher EPA standards for miles per gallon a lot less fuel will be needed.

With so many governmental bodies on the right pushing for nuclear power it is safe to say that we are already taking a step away from the bad relationship with oil. If one knows history, they would see the fact that the railroad companies where the ones that had the backing of the government at and before the time of President Grant, but since the days of the assembly line Henry Ford change the way Americans used transportation.

Like I said early in our debate oil is the fuel that is deep ingrained in the veins of this country but as soon as we find something more cost effective and efficient we will drop it on the wayside. Look forward to hear your points and your rebuttal.

Sincerely,
SPC Rautert, Frederick J.
USAR
danny445

Pro

I will first say that I appreciate the respectful debate environment that has been created for this topic.
Now, for the debate. To clear up what I meant about undermining the war effort in Iraq, I simply meant that we are trying to establish a well rounded government and economy there before we would pull our troops out. Their economy is based almost strictly on oil. It is true that the United States only receives around 12% ( a little lower) of its oil from the Persian gulf, but we are the largest consumers of oil on the globe, so 12 percent of our oil, is an incredibly huge amount of oil that the Persian gulf gets to export (and crude oil just hit over 100 dollars a barrel). If we were to lead a global energy revolution, leaving crude oil in the dust, what would Iraq do with its economy? Therefore, it is in the American government's interests to make sure that there is some form of oil demand, which perhaps is why we haven't dedicated enough effort to new technologies.
Absolutely we hear a lot about new technologies coming around. However, these are in large part not government sponsored. Bio-diesel fuel still uses a lot of oil, pure bio-fuel congeals in cold climates. Solar power in government buildings is a good point, but it is slightly for a different argument, although under the same topic as energy. As far as hydrogen Fuel Cell cars, it is a tremendous idea, yet, the government has yet to step in and help subsidize costs to create a healthy market in such things. This all dates back to the government and lobbyists point that I made, and you agreed with in the opening point. Your fourth point that more hybrid automobiles and higher EPA standards for miles per gallon is a good one. However, the EPA is very very low in context to priority in our budget, and within the EPA's new budget that Bush has just proposed, most of the money goes to guess what? National security (protection of waterways, etc). How much goes towards new technologies? Very little in comparison to everything else. In fact I must point out that if the government was to simply insist that the EPA make the efficiency levels of vehicles to run on a standard 40 MPG, it would entirely remove that previously mentioned 12 percent of oil from the Persian gulf. Why hasn't that been done? Greed, as is the point of my argument, the government being "in bed" with big oil and big car lobbyists. The car companies don't want to be regulated, because it will cost them a lot of money. As far as governmental bodies pushing for nuclear power, by bodies I don't know if you meant actual agencies or branches of government pushing for that, because as of now it is mostly on the politicians drawing board, and an election topic, rather than an actual process taking place.
To close, it is true that oil is deeply "ingrained in the veins of this country", yet the point that isn't made, is that its in the veins of all countries. There is a huge political push for oil to keep the worlds economy booming. I think that the scientists and inventors of this world could have a clean oil free car tomorrow. But the politics of the government has tied up innovation. As far as transferring to something more cost effective, there are other options that would be more cost effective for the consumer, but not for the businessmen. Exxon mobile made 30-40 billion dollars in profit during one quarter of 2007. Is Exxon ready to move away from oil? What about the politicians that might accept some of the political contributions from Exxon? The system is corrupt, and it goes deeper than capabilities. Saudi Arabia, the Persian Gulf, and other regions rely on their sales of oil, and I have to think that us staying in good terms depends on us staying neck deep in oil.
Conspicuous_Conservative

Con

No worries my friend sometimes it happens to the best of us technology letting us down and ruining our paragraph formats. I would also like to state you need not thank me for being respectful, I feel that as long as someone is respectful to me I should at least show you the same courtesy.

I agree that we need to support Iraq in their rebuilding process and that oil is going to be the ticket to ensure that this country has the economy to speak of. Now you are acting like we will be giving up on our dependence of oil. This will not come for a number of years. Yet you are ignoring the fact that China and India with populations that are vastly bigger than ours will be surpassing us in oil dependence in the next few years. So the market will continue to be their in the world, so i would not be to worried about the Iraqi economy in that regard.

You have made a number of points referring to the technologies and the capacities to steer away from oil are not quite their. I feel you are far too short sighted in those regards because believe it or not world wide there is a strong push away from fossil fuels, and it seems that the green industries are earning lots of money. You brought up a good point about Exxon making huge numbers but you fail to look at the fact that BP, Conaco and even Exxon are investing money to go green.

I would like you to read your debate topic it states that "The government is never going to turn its back on big oil". Now we are dealing in absolutes and I feel that the government is already turning it's back on oil just as they did to the railroads a number of decades ago. Oil is the main source of power in the world but with all the global developments I feel that government will eventually have to turn from oil do to economical and safety reasons
Posted by Vikuta 9 years ago
Vikuta
America is interested in Middle Eastern oil more for control than for domestic consumption. American oil companies make money on Middle Eastern oil whether Americans are the ones consuming it or not. I think it will be a long time before the oil companies lose their exorbitant influence on American foreign policy, but I am hopeful that it will happen eventually. I don't believe that the CEO of Exxon-Mobil should be the CEO of the USA.
Posted by danny445 9 years ago
danny445
I would like to apologize for not breaking my round response into separate paragraphs. I had indented with 5 spaces, but once I posted it, it removed my spacing, so sorry if it is difficult to read as a clump of words. My next response will be spaced.
Vote Placed by magpie 8 years ago
magpie
danny445Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by THS 9 years ago
THS
danny445Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by danny445 9 years ago
danny445
danny445Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by bigdog 9 years ago
bigdog
danny445Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by Kals 9 years ago
Kals
danny445Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by figoitalia 9 years ago
figoitalia
danny445Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
danny445Conspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by stumartin 9 years ago
stumartin
danny445Conspicuous_ConservativeTied