Pwalt
Hakkayo

The government ought to put policies in place to increase the number of females in STEM fields.

Pwalt

Con

You may structure you argument however you wish. I ask that you please order your arguments in such a way as they will be easy to address. I will be against the topic. If you wish to broaden the topic at all, please let me know and I will be happy to change it, so long as it retains its core purpose. Please bring as many outside sources as you wish with accessable urls. However if either of us deem one of the sources to be illegitimate, please say why you believe it to be illegitimate but then also address the argument. I will try to be fair with my sources, however if either of us deem a source to be factually incorrect or misleading then I will look it over and give a judgement(sorry if this seems unfair but I will try to be as impartial as possible). If you feel I have been oppressive or an unfair debate partner, please say so and I will forfeit the debate. Cheers
Hakkayo

Pro

Thank you for challenging me and I happily accept, though I must say this is not my normal position.

I will say that I intend to argue for specific policies of my own design and not broad policies in the sense of quotas or carrot and stick methods. I will provide sources and arguments to support these policies though I will wait until the second round to articulate them.
Pwalt

Con

If you wish to present specific policies for governments role in STEM fields with relation to women, I will happily center this debate around said arguments and their validity. Therefore my position will be a lack of government involvement in the process.
Contention 1) There is no need for government to increase female participation in stem fields.
Sub A) Women are currently being hired more often than males simply for being women.
A Cornell study surveyed over 800 tenure tracked faculty and found that when presented with identical resumes, females were twice as likely to be hired than males. This shows that the current heads of STEM fields are more likely to hire a female than a male purely based off gender.
Sub B) Women don't bring anything new to the table.
Supposing that women and men are intellectual equals, there is no reason to require that half the field be male and half of the field be female. The addition or reduction of female involvement should not affect the production of the field in general.
Contention 2) The gender wage gap in the U.S. doesn't exist
Not really a contention but something I hope we agree on and won't have to debate.
Contention 3) Any want to increase female participation inherently disregards female autonomy.
Not much to debate until I can see your policies. This debate will center around your policies and my ability to refute them. Cheers.
Hakkayo

Pro

I will respond to your contentions and after I will make put forth my policy I have in mind.

Contention 1) A) While you have shown that it is more likely for women to be hired that does not show that there is the appropriate amount of women hired or that they have the same opportunity. The National Girls collective project, i realize there may be some bias, some STEM fields are as low as 7% women, though some are as high as 39% or higher. Also a study based off of resumes is somewhat undercut by the fact that people are not hired based solely off of resumes, interviews, training periods, and connections often play an equal if not greater role in getting a job no matter the field.
B) Women's brains have been proven to process information differently than men, women's social perspective are traditionally different than men. It is presumptuous to say that either of these things could never be helpful to the field. Whether these differences are big enough to warrant government intervention however I agree that it is not a valid argument.

Contention 2) The gender wage gap does not exist unless taken on a case by case basis or by manipulating the data. I will not debate with you on this contention.

Contention 3) If you don't mind I would like to ask you to expand on this point as I am not sure if I agree with you or not on this point. I don't know how encouraging women to join the STEM field is any more or less sinister than say encouraging women to have children, or go to college.

The policy that I think would be most effective in increasing the number of women in STEM is a government initiative to provide financial support to low income communities for going to college. As there are a disproportionate amount of low income black families this would assist a large number of black children to go to college who could not afford it. Black women actually lead in most if not all degrees in graduating. By promoting more black women to go to college, there will be more black women in all college fields including STEM fields thus increasing the number of women in the field.

This policy is not specific to a gender or group beyond being low income, though it will affect different demographics naturally. I cannot give a number or percentage of how many more women will be in STEM but without a doubt by having more college graduates there will be more women in the STEM field.
Pwalt

Con

Pwalt forfeited this round.
Hakkayo

Pro

Hakkayo forfeited this round.
Pwalt

Con

Pwalt forfeited this round.
Hakkayo

Pro

Hakkayo forfeited this round.
Pwalt

Con

Pwalt forfeited this round.
Hakkayo

Pro

Hakkayo forfeited this round.