Armageddon23
Rinaldanator

The government should be allowed to listen in on phone calls or put up hidden cameras etc.

Armageddon23

Pro

Firstly I'd just like to say: If you have nothing to hide, then you have nothing to worry about.

I think it is perfectly acceptable for government agencies to be able to obtain information about potential terrorists in any way possible. If that includes wire-tapping or hidden cameras being put up everywhere, or any other form of surveillence, so be it.

There is really nothing at all to be worried about if you have nothing to hide. For example; the government isn't going to care if they overhear someone saying how many times a week they have sex and/or with whom, they aren't going to record it and tell all of said person's acquaintances and friends etc.

The benefit of it definitely out weighs the detriments, if there are any detriments to begin with. If it leads to the capture of even one terrorist or even someone like a murderer or rapist or anyone detrimental to society then it has served its purpose.

It may effectively help society become less riddled with social parasites and improve the quality of people in a society all together.
Rinaldanator

Con

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

I must say where do you draw the line? First they wire-tap and hidden cameras, then they have cameras out in the open public, and then we have cameras in the house because of course the terrorists would be plotting in the house not in the open, and then we can't we can do a thing with out our masters knowing about it. If they can do one they can do the other.

Maybe right now supposedly they don't care what we say but what happen when they do care. You have already given them the power to do such.

Now what would you say if any other group did this? What if the mob came into your house and we are going to watch over your house and make sure nothing "bad" happens to it. And at the same time where going to make sure that you don't speak bad about us or do something that we don't like, because of course we have all the guns.
Does might make right?

And don't you think the telescreens in 1984 were installed for the same reason? To make sure nobody does anything "bad"?
Armageddon23

Pro

The mob and the governent are not at all the same things at all.

Firstly, we don't live in a society where the government is corrupt and will, for example, kill us if we don't agree with them.

Secondly, why do we care if they know what we're doing? Like I said, as long as we're not hiding anything there should be no reason to want privacy.

Of course the terrorists will plot inside houses, then of course there should be at least micriphones or something installed in houses.

Besides they don't have to set them up in every house or on every street... just high-priority ones or ones that are under suspicion. Of course it would be most effective if no one knew about it so that they wouldn't be able to hide their intentions or move to different places.
Rinaldanator

Con

The government and the mob are completely the same thing. What do you call somebody who steals? There called a robber, but the government calls it taxes. What happens to me when I kill somebody? I'm labeled as a murder and throw into prison. What happens when the government kills people? Its called "protecting our interests" and labeled as heroic. Does might make right? If the government does it in full scale and thugs do it in little scale are they the same thing? I'm sorry but big a little thugs have thuggery in common even if one has stars and strips on them. Like Ben Franklin said "A highwayman is a much a robber when he plunders in a gang as when single; and a nation that makes an unjust war is only a great gang"

Yes we do live in that society. Every day we a heading to a police state. I could give you story after story of police (the government) abusing their power and being corrupt. So I think I will.

http://www.lewrockwell.com... James Emerick Dean: Executed By the Police

http://www.lewrockwell.com... America's Police Brutality Pandemic

Now I can't find the one article from July, This one man's car caught on fire, he was on fire eventually got put out the police tasered him two times and then shot him in the head

We should care what they do because as I have said the government is a group of violent thugs. Now see the thing I don't have anything to hide either but the thing is I don't what people to know what I'm doing 24/7 good or bad its my life not yours and not the governments. Its very disturbing to me that you would give up your right to privacy so easily.

Well of course they'll set it up in just one or two house here or there. But what is stopping them from puting them in every house

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force.
Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
-George Washington

The purpose of government is to protect our rights not to infringe on them. As stared in the declaration of independence, and backed up with the constitution and the bill of right as I have stated the 4th amendment states pretty clearly what the government can do with our privacy; they can't do a thing with it
Armageddon23

Pro

Armageddon23 forfeited this round.
Rinaldanator

Con

My argument remains the government was instituted to protect our rights not to infringe on them. The fourth amendment and the constitution is a limitation on government it says very cleary that the government cannot intrude on our lives. The will of the majority or the minority does not change this.
Posted by sethgecko13 9 years ago
sethgecko13
The US government has a long and dark history of violating the surveillance powers it is granted; it deserves no benefit of the doubt because it invariably uses its powers to control the political process (including trying to silence and blackmail even nonviolent activists like Martin Luther King, Jr.).

That's why the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act exists; it was a response to overwhelming abuses by the US government.

http://www.icdc.com...
Posted by Shorack 9 years ago
Shorack
Although i'm against this type of intervention in private life (except for some very specific cases), i would have considered voting pro.

But not responding in round 3 on the con side made pro lose my vote.
Posted by Rinaldanator 9 years ago
Rinaldanator
Always welcome to debate me again
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Shame. Pro could have had my vote had she been able to expose the problems with con's round 2 arguments. Oh well. Con wins.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
. . . personally speaking of course
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
As long as the gov. didn't intend to hand my info over to the media, I suppose that I wouldn't care.
Posted by Armageddon23 9 years ago
Armageddon23
Was studying for midterms... sorry I didn't get to finish my last part for the debate.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
It literally terrifies me to read these types of opiions. Microphones in houses?

You need a search warrant for that. And I dont think randomly putting microphones in every one's houses counts for probable cause.
Posted by qwarkinator 9 years ago
qwarkinator
Welcome to 1984! Are you ready for a new world order!
Posted by toria_2metal 9 years ago
toria_2metal
have the goverment put hidden cameras while your takin a piss and zoned on your penis or vagina? you'd like that!?
your nutts!!!
Vote Placed by Jamcke 9 years ago
Jamcke
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by silentrigger1285 9 years ago
silentrigger1285
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by sluggerjal 9 years ago
sluggerjal
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by SportsGuru 9 years ago
SportsGuru
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by sethgecko13 9 years ago
sethgecko13
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by Shorack 9 years ago
Shorack
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by willhenry20 9 years ago
willhenry20
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 9 years ago
liberalconservative
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
Armageddon23RinaldanatorTied