BadKitty
Jamie.ee

The government should pick winners and losers

BadKitty

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance.
Jamie.ee

Con

BadKitty

Pro

I would like to argue that governments should pick winners and losers.

The very fact that there is a government is what picks winners and losers. Government by definition picks winners and losers. Governments pick who gets what business grants and who doesn't. Who gets taxed and who does not. The government declares wars (again picking winners and losers).

Call government what you want. A king, Empire, Democracy, there is not one government that does not pick winners and losers.

I challenge my opponent to name one government that doesn't pick winners and losers.
Jamie.ee

Con

Everyone has to pay tax so I'm not sure what you mean. If the government declares war, that means that nobody wins, because by your statement, it means that both parties get to choose who wins or lose, so both parties could be winners. The real role of a government is supposed to ensure the rights and equality of everyone, not trigger tax codes to benefit certain companies like how the British government picked the East India company to win. This is not exactly being equal to each company's rights. So to answer your challenge, most governments have been picking winners and losers but that doesn't mean that its right. Governments picking losers and winners actually cause corruption. Therefore, governments SHOULD NOT be interfering and leave business to the marketplace to handle and not to the politicians. Leaving it to the politicians would distort the market and produce unfairness which in then leads to many other economic, social and political problems.
BadKitty

Pro

"Everyone has to pay tax so I'm not sure what you mean."
When the government decides to tax who and at what rate its picking winners and losers. Who will win at keeping the most of their money and who will lose at keeping most of their money.

"The real role of a government is supposed to ensure the rights and equality of everyone"
This is again, picking winners and losers.

"If the government declares war, that means that nobody wins, because by your statement, it means that both parties get to choose who wins or lose, so both parties could be winners."
When war is fought one side always comes out victorious by submitting the other into defeat. This is another example of government picking winners (It's own citizens) and sending it its army after another group of citizens to defeat them in battle and declaring them losers.

I challenge my opponent to name one specific government that doesn't pick winners and losers.
Jamie.ee

Con

Jamie.ee forfeited this round.
BadKitty

Pro

BadKitty forfeited this round.
Jamie.ee

Con

Jamie.ee forfeited this round.
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Winners and losers of what?