freak23
STMAknight92

The hardest thing to do in sports is to stop an elite penalty kick

Started: 5/28/2014 Category: Sports

freak23

Pro

First, I would like to thank the person who accepts the debate. I would like to convince that stopping a penalty kick is harder than anything in sports. Last year, across all of soccer, the average stopped penalty kick was 21 percent. Also, in a penalty shootout, the score is usually 5-4, 5-3, 4-3, etc. And when players do not convert, it is usually a miss, or a poorly taken shot. Plus, the goal is 24 feet wide, and 8 feet high. That is 192 square feet of space for a ball to fit in. The soccer ball is .003 space of the goal (do the math if you want. Soccer ball is 8.9 inches across. Divide .003 by 2304, which is the number of square inches in the net). Thanky you for whoever takes this debate. Also, you may choose any other thing for the hardest thing.
STMAknight92

Con

I will accept this debate, and take the side of there is harder things to do in sports than stop a penalty kick.

For my first point i would like to bring up that hitting a baseball in the MLB is much harder than stopping a penalty kick. When guys in the major league are being paid millions of dollars to hit a baseball close to three times out of ten, then it must be a hard thing to do. Pitches in the MLB can reach upwards of 95 mph and only gives the batter .4 seconds to react and hit the ball. plus the pitcher can throw curve balls and change-ups to throw off a batters timing. making it even more of a challenge for the batter to hit the ball.
freak23

Pro

First, typo on "thanky you", sorry. Second, I can easily refute your arguments. The pitching mound is 60 feet, 6 inches from home plate, whereas the penalty spot is 12 yards, or 36 feet from the goal. Like my opponent stated, pitches can reach up to 95, but the average is just 90. Soccer kicks average out around 70 miles per hour, and it is 24 feet and 6 inches closer. Second, the goalie has to protect a "strike zone" if you will, a lot larger than a batter. Almost 50 times the size of the average strike zone. So the batter has a lot easier chance of hitting the ball with the bat, over the keeper getting a hand to a penalty. As a keeper, there is only about 400 milliseconds from the ball being kicked from the spot. If the keeper waits until the ball is kicked, and it is a shot at the post, there is no chance getting to the ball. As a keeper myself, I have to guess which way to dive. Stats show that the keepers guess the direction 57 percent of the time, but they don't always make the save. We have to dive high, or low. For every 3.6 strikeouts Alex Rodriguez got, he had a homer. Albert Pujols has a 1.2/1 ratio. That shows that saving a penalty is a lot harder than hitting a baseball.
STMAknight92

Con

STMAknight92 forfeited this round.
freak23

Pro

Since my opponent has not posted an argument, I will let Sports Science win the debate. Vote Pro!
https://www.youtube.com...
STMAknight92

Con

i am sorry, i got a little busy and completely forgot about the debate. sense i am probably going to lose now anyways i would like to resort to USA today's article on the hardest things to do in sports. notice hitting a baseball is #1 and stopping a penalty kick is #9.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com...
Posted by oneloveworld 3 years ago
oneloveworld
As the question is worded, you could argue that throwing three no-hitters in a row as a baseball pitcher is more difficult than stopping an "elite" penalty kick, and few people would likely disagree with you. I feel like you might need to define the question more strictly.