Rajnikant
ZacGraphics

The heavier the school bag is, the lesser we study

ZacGraphics

Rajnikant

Pro

In my opinion, school bags should not be heavy as if the bags are heavy , the child gets tired soon and does not have any energy remained to concentrate in the class.If the bag is very heavy , it may also cause a defect in the body posture of the student.
ZacGraphics

Con

I will be presenting my stance in that the weight of book bags does not have any effect on a student's education, or encourages them to study less. In the first round, I will state my case, and I will attempt to refute the opening case of Pro. I wish Pro luck, and I look forward to a great debate!

Opening Case

I claim that book bags belonging to students does not have any effect on education. I believe that the education can be seen as a door, multiple doors, actually. It is the teacher's job to open the door and allow the student to strive in the classroom environment, but it is up to the student whether or not they wish to accept this education, and do something with it (walking through said door). This is a very generic analogy, but it shows the job of the student and the teacher perfectly.

That being said, a student's education relies heavily on the actions of the student. If they have a heavy backpack, this should not stop them whatsoever from trying their best. If the student thinks that their teacher assigns too much homework, then the student should speak to the teacher about that issue. The teacher, in most cases, will not go to the student to talk to them about how much homework they are giving them.

Rebuttals

- "the child gets tired soon and does not have any energy remained to concentrate in the class. If the bag is very heavy"

I assume we're talking about younger students, as Pro has stated "child" and High School and College students rarely worry about how heavy their book bag is. If this is directed towards elementary school kids, they don't get that many things to carry around anyway. Also, exerting energy does not have that much effect on a student's ability to concentrate. Concentration among students usually depends on how much sleep that child got.

- "it may also cause a defect in the body posture of the student."

As stated before, it's doubted that their book bags are even that heavy. If children have bad posture, that is still their fault. Posture problems in students is out of laziness and feeling more comfortable with a slumped back as opposed to perfect, straight posture. As the year goes on, students would most likely get used to a heavy book bag, and would adapt to it. They might not even have a heavy book bag all the time.

A heavy book bag does not become detrimental to a young student as you might think, Pro. It has proven to be nothing more than a nuisance than a major issue.

Best of luck to Pro in round two.
Rajnikant

Pro

As said by my worthy opponent that the problem is generally faced by young children and not with college goers, I would like to say that the college goers hardly carry bags . Most of the colleges have lockers facility to keep the books in the college. The college goers don't have many different subjects to study rather they are taught a particular subject in detail. The problem is actually with the school goers. In a study it has been found that 58% of the students below 10 years of age suffer from many musculoskeletal problems because of the heavy bags. Even medical experts have issued alerts about the toll of heavy bags on the health of the students. Ideally the weight of the bag should not be more than10% of tthe weight of the students but in many cases it more than 20% . This is what I have to say in this round. Good luck Con for this round.
ZacGraphics

Con

I thank my opponent for their response to my opening case. I will present my rebuttals for Round 2.

Rebuttals

I acknowledge the facts and percentages that my opponent has brought up. However, Pro did rarely anything at all to refute my statements in Round 1. Now, moving on to the statement Pro presented in Round 2.

- "The problem is actually with the school goers. In a study it has been found that 58% of the students below 10 years of age suffer from many musculoskeletal problems because of the heavy bags."

This is true, but there's one fault in this statement. Does this muscle and skeletal problem last? [1] Dr Luisa Dillner has made her own respectable point with this issue. “Studies have shown that while carrying a heavy bag affects how a person walks (for example changing the head-neck angle, making the shoulders asymmetrical and increasing how much the hips and knees move), there is no lasting evidence that it causes any lasting condition, such as scoliosis.”

(scoliosis: http://www.webmd.com...)

Yes, there may be immediate, lesser issues with young children, but no long term. Dillner goes on with this subject, completely ruling out heavy backpacks.

“In most cases, scoliosis (curvature of the spine) has no known cause. Scoliosis does not occur because of anything the patient did or failed to do and … can only be prevented when it is due to rickets or poliomyelitis.”

So, if students are feeling pain or cramps from book bags, it is nothing really serious. Doctors have warned teachers against assigning multiple textbooks and homework, but it doesn't totally bring studying out of the question. Pro, you are making this seem like more of an issue than it actually is.

Good luck to Pro in Round 3.

Sources: [1] http://www.theguardian.com...
Rajnikant

Pro

Rajnikant forfeited this round.
ZacGraphics

Con

I extend my points, and I await Pro's response.
Rajnikant

Pro

Rajnikant forfeited this round.
ZacGraphics

Con

Points extended...
Rajnikant

Pro

Rajnikant forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
RajnikantZacGraphicsTied