jonahofdeath
PowerPikachu21

The husband betrays the wife

jonahofdeath

Pro

A couple decided to commit suicide after a horrible life. They decided to jump off a building. When they got to the top, they both counted to three. The wife jumped, but the husband stayed. The husband watched the wife drop for about 8 seconds and then saw a parachute open. Who betrayed who?

I believe that the husband betrayed his wife more than his wife betrayed him.
Basically, the husband has betrayed the wife.

I will argue my case, after this acceptance round;
Second round is your defense;
Third is your rebuttal/closing statement.
PowerPikachu21

Con

I accept this debate. I'll attempt to show the wife betrayed the husband in the Instigator's scenario.

I'll use this first round for acceptance, but 2nd round is for making arguments, and the 3rd round is rebuttals.
jonahofdeath

Pro

In my opinion, the husband has breached the agreement. "They decided to jump off a building."

The husband has broken the promise to jump on the count of three. Everything else is irrelevant.

That is my argument. If their agreement was to not bring parachutes, then the wife would have betrayed the husband.
PowerPikachu21

Con

Here's my take on the scenario.

Argument:

Let's examine every statement in the story, and see which character's actions conradict.

"A couple decided to commit suicide after a horrible life." But, in reality, the wife brought a parachute. The husband didn't jump at all. They might've had a bad time, but not so bad as to warrant suicide.

"They decided to jump off a building." Only the wife actually jumped. The husband didn't jump. However, the wife brought a parachute.

"When they got to the top, they both counted to three." And at three, the time will come for their fate to be sealed. Nothing conradicts this statement.

"The wife jumped, but the husband stayed." Contrary to the wife's expectations, the husband didn't jump with her.

"The husband watched the wife drop for about 8 seconds and then saw a parachute open." Contrary to the husband's expectations, the wife had a parachute.

Both survived. We don't know whose idea it was to jump. Let's assume the man made the plan to jump. Why'd the wife bring a parachute, then? Assuming the wife had the idea to jump, it makes a little more sense.

Let's imagine the married couple weren't so happy. They were ready to divorce. The wife wondered if her husband would go so far as to jump off a skyscraper with her, possibly even to death. Because it's the wife's idea, she's able to prepare in advance, bringing a parachute. When at the building, they do a countdown. If the man did jump, the wife would watch him plummet to his death, so she could live a happy life. The man doesn't jump, so the wife can confirm that the husband doesn't love her, so she's able to get a divorce.

This is what I believed happened.
jonahofdeath

Pro

In my opinion, if they decided to jump off a building together, one did, and one didn't, that was the only promise they made, making the person who didn't jump a betrayal.

I believe the wife brought the parachute to comfort her husband, as he's falling to his death.

While the wife allowed the husband to believe for the rest of his life that she was going to die with him, the husband gave no respect for the wife, and didn't comfort the thought that they would die together. The wife would have those last few seconds experiencing, agony, hatred, frustration, and confusion. She would feel betrayed.

The husband initially betrayed his wife directly, by not thinking about her. The wife tried to allow the husband to believe that they were both going to die together, as a team.

Therefore, the husband betrayed his wife worse.

The thing is, we don't know if they were ready to divorce, and the wife had made this as some sort of test. Looking at all the available information, one can only conclude that it is the husband who betrayed the wife.
PowerPikachu21

Con

Rebuttal:

Round 2:

"The husband has broken the promise to jump on the count of three." Then again, weren't they supposed to suicide?

"Everything else is irrelevant." So you're not questioning why the wife had a parachute? I think that's a crucial part of the story.

"If their agreement was to not bring parachutes, then the wife would have betrayed the husband." The agreement was to commit suicide. It also said "jump off a building", yes. But if the goal was suicide, then why did the wife bring a parachute?

Round 3:

"if they decided to jump off a building together, one did, and one didn't, that was the only promise they made, making the person who didn't jump a betrayal." Objection! You're still forgetting the very first sentence you made, "A couple decided to commit suicide after a horrible life."

"While the wife allowed the husband to believe for the rest of his life that she was going to die with him, the husband gave no respect for the wife, and didn't comfort the thought that they would die together." Or the fact that the husband would die had he jumped.

"The husband initially betrayed his wife directly, by not thinking about her." What evidence do you have? I guess I'm saying something similar as well, though.

"The wife tried to allow the husband to believe that they were both going to die together, as a team." But the husband was suspicious of the wife's plans.

"The thing is, we don't know if they were ready to divorce, and the wife had made this as some sort of test. Looking at all the available information, one can only conclude that it is the husband who betrayed the wife." But then why did the wife bring a parachute?

"I believe the wife brought the parachute to comfort her husband, as he's falling to his death." So the wife is like 'Hey sweetie! Don't worry, I'll live and you'll die!'? Haha, no.

I believe the wife was planning to have the husband die, and herself alive.

But the question is: Who is the true betrayer? The husband wanted the wife to die, yet the wife brought a parachute. The goal was death, but it was never achieved. In the end, it's all up to interpretation. I believe the wife wanted the husband to die, Pro believes the man wanted the wife to die. The existence of the wife's parachute makes me think this was planned by the wife in advance.

So who do you think is correct?
Posted by Procrastine 1 year ago
Procrastine
They are both so traitorous! It's possible the husband meant to jump and then panicked. Maybe the wife wouldn't have opened the parachute if he'd jumped with her. They should have held hands and jumped together, although I'm glad they didn't. Even with such terrible lives, they had an instinct to keep living. That's nice.
Posted by canis 1 year ago
canis
Can you betray a dead person ?
Posted by Dirty-Morgs 1 year ago
Dirty-Morgs
The husband could have had cold feet and second thoughts. the wife on the other hand did not no the husband had second thoughts and she did not tell him to bring a parachute
Posted by GrimlyF 1 year ago
GrimlyF
The husband may have changed his mind but been too late to stop his wife. The wife, on the other hand, clearly planned to renege in advance so is clearly the more traitorous.