snicker_911
slammin

The idea of war is stupid.

snicker_911

Pro

I'm not going to be judgemental or factual at all about this. This is all about opinion. =) I hate war. There are so many different ways of settling arguments rather than going into a huge war killing hundreds, thousands, millions of people for the stupidest reasons. You know how teachers go saying, Violance never solves anything...blah, blah, blah. Like it matters! We're in a war with Iraq and Bush is making it ten times worse. It's just gonna be another endless cycle. Then when one side finally gives up, what is the real victory? the sense of power in your hands? is that really worth the thousands of dead troops and the time wasted on a stupid war when we could be focusing on more serious problems? Like pollution, cancer, other diseases, school shootings, global warming, etc. world peace? I know the point of going into war is supposed to create world peace, but I think that we could be solving that problem in a less violent way. =)
*please don't give me all this crap about being a bad debater, because I don't care. I'm not a good debater, but I know what I'm talking about and I know this war is just going to create even bigger problems. It's gonna leave us with less than we gain*
slammin

Con

Thank you for starting this debate and good luck! :)

"I'm not going to be judgemental or factual at all about this. This is all about opinion."

About opinion? Debate is all about provided facts, reasons, and refuting what your opponent says while trying to prove their point. But anyways onto the debate...

"I hate war. There are so many different ways of settling arguments rather than going into a huge war killing hundreds, thousands, millions of people for the stupidest reasons. "

Okay, but your opinion doesn't matter in a debate. [No offense.] Millions of people? What war has killed "millions of people?" The stupidest reasons? Terrorism is a stupid reason? Hitler trying to take over the world and trying to stop him before he kills even more people is stupid? I think not. I am sure that there are better ways of solving certain conflicts than breaking out in war, but sometimes you have no choice. Do you really believe that the terrorists over in the Middle East will be willing to sit down with other world leaders and calmly discuss their matters? I doubt it. They have gone to such extremes and they have their mind set in a certain way that just focuses on killing those with different beliefs, looks, nationalities, etc. Sometimes you have no choice.

"We're in a war with Iraq and Bush is making it ten times worse."

How is he making it ten times worse?! Yeah, maybe some people disagree with starting the war in the first place, but many good things are happening in Iraq as we speak. More children and Iraqis find their neighborhood a safer place to be. I could go on and on about the War in Iraq but I will save that for another debate. :) But really, how is Bush related to "the idea of war is stupid?"

"It's just gonna be another endless cycle. "

Another endless cycle? What cycle? Please explain. The war will end. If we quit now, then all of those lives lost and all the money and effort spent will be a waste. The terrorists will take over the Middle East and grow stronger and stronger. It's all a matter of time.

"Then when one side finally gives up, what is the real victory?"

Most wars don't include a side "giving up." The other side may defeat them so bad that they have no choice but to surrender, but that is not just "giving up." You make it sound as though war is done just to harm others and kill as many people as possible. But it's so much more than that. There is a point to wars.

"the sense of power in your hands?"

Uhmm. No. It's about keeping the world a safe place to be, without having people like Hitler and Bin Laden trying to take over.

"is that really worth the thousands of dead troops and the time wasted on a stupid war when we could be focusing on more serious problems? Like pollution, cancer, other diseases, school shootings, global warming, etc. world peace?"

So the people of Iraq are not "important?" I do agree that pollution and cancer are very important but we are working on them as well...just because we're in a war doesn't mean we don't focus on those things. Haven't you heard of all the advances in cancer medicine lately? Global warming? I don't believe in global warming...but whatever. I'll save that for another debate as well. :) What I am trying to say is that we don't just go to war for silly, unimportant reasons. We go to war because of problems in the world that need solving and cannot be solved by just sitting down and talking. I would appreciate it if you would not call wars "stupid" I mean you haven't given any proof as to why they are. This is NOT wasted time. I absolutely hate it when people call wars stupid and that wars are just a waste of time, money, and lives. I guess you have been paying too much attention to the liberal media to actually look further and see the advances being made daily in the lives or Iraqis.

"*please don't give me all this crap about being a bad debater, because I don't care. I'm not a good debater, but I know what I'm talking about and I know this war is just going to create even bigger problems. It's gonna leave us with less than we gain*"

I am not going to call you a bad debater. We all have different views on debating. Although, I have to disagree with your point on "I know what I am talking about" because it doesn't seem as though you do. War is a waste? We go to war for stupid reasons? Try telling that to the government and see what you get...

Thank you and I await your response.
~Slammin
snicker_911

Pro

I know that there is terrorism, but I also think there are other ways to solve that problem. We have great offense [if I can put it that way], but what if we made better defense?

I said "giving up" instead of "surrendering", it's not a big deal. If you know what I meant, then why did you go through the trouble to tell me so?

When I said I knew what I was talking about, I meant I knew my side and I wanted people to see my point of view.

Ok, I can agree with you on one thing. War is not a *complete* waste of time, but I just think that rather than going into war, we could try to compromise or find some other way through to help Iraq people as well. Sometimes it seems like it has to get worse before it gets better, but I don't think that at all. I think that if we could find a less violent way to solve our problems, we wouldn't have to put our people in mortal danger.

I have to say though, war has gotten less violent...in a way. I mean, I remember studying about Vietnam and how some soldiers had to eat their own horses, the horrifying amputations, and the diseases being spread, etc. I should include that it *has* gotten better, but I think we can improve much more. I don't see what the difference is between a school fight and a blown out war. Except no one gets killed in a school fight and a huge toll comes out of a war. Yet people tell children that violence never solves anything...how come that doesn't apply to war?
slammin

Con

"I know that there is terrorism, but I also think there are other ways to solve that problem. We have great offense [if I can put it that way], but what if we made better defense?"

First off, war is not "offense/ defense." Explain to me how there are offense/ defense sides. Second off, please specify "other ways to solve the problems." Pretty much all the current conflicts/ wars in this world currently are because of terrorism. As I explained, we have tried just speaking with terrosits- doesn't work. I would love to see your other suggestions though.

"I said "giving up" instead of "surrendering", it's not a big deal. If you know what I meant, then why did you go through the trouble to tell me so?"

There is a difference and I explained it.

"When I said I knew what I was talking about, I meant I knew my side and I wanted people to see my point of view."

But you don't exactly "know your side." You have yet explained the "other ways we could deal with the problems." Also, you commented on how defense and offense is involved in war. It is not.

"War is not a *complete* waste of time, but I just think that rather than going into war, we could try to compromise or find some other way through to help Iraq people as well."

In order to help the Iraqi people we must get rid of the "bad guys" aka terrorists and then provide them with the essentials to rebuild themselves. Which we are. So this is stupid? Remember: this debate is on how the "idea of war is stupid." I will argue that you have not provided any reasons as to why war is so stupid. Anyways as one of the commenters brought up, an idea can't be stupid, only the person who created the idea. I don't believe that the idea of war is stupid. It is the technique our ancestors used to solve problems. How is this stupid? Maybe instead of naming this debate: "The Idea of War is Stupid" you should have called it "War is Not the Ideal Way to Solve Conflict." But even there, you would have problems defending your side.

"Sometimes it seems like it has to get worse before it gets better, but I don't think that at all."

I think it is totally true. The world is not one big dreamland full of candy and unicorns. The world contains evil and bad things. Good things may take years of hard work. In Iraq, this war is sure to bring advanceds and improvements to Iraqi lives. In fact, it has already begun. A journalist stated: When I arrived in Iraq, nobody was out on the streets. When I left about 6 months later, I counted 50 soccer games being played in the streets of Baghdad. This in itself is a huge improvement. The people of Iraq are feeling and are much safer than before troops arrived. War is not one huge gory event that's sole purpose is to kill as many people as possible. This is what you make it sound like.

"I think that if we could find a less violent way to solve our problems, we wouldn't have to put our people in mortal danger."

Please explain those "less violent ways."

"I have to say though, war has gotten less violent...in a way. I mean, I remember studying about Vietnam and how some soldiers had to eat their own horses, the horrifying amputations, and the diseases being spread, etc. I should include that it *has* gotten better, but I think we can improve much more."

Less violent?! Maybe the conditions are better. But you have obviously never been in war. I have not either but I've heard stories from others who have been involved in war. It is horrible. War will always be violent but that doesn't make it a "stupid idea."

"I don't see what the difference is between a school fight and a blown out war."

You don't?!?!?!?! Well I will explain. A school fight is something that can be cured with conseling with the students involved. It is never as serious as war and the motivation for school fights are much less serious and much less threatening than a war.

"Yet people tell children that violence never solves anything...how come that doesn't apply to war?"

This is true. Violence never really "solves" something. But the terrorist problem is not something you can just "solve." There will always be terrorists. There will always be problems in the world. War was created to help aid those problems and conflicts. This doesn't mean war is "stupid." I hate hearing it described that way.

I suggest that you find out some more information about war and the causes of war before you go on about how stupid war is. And what a waste of time it is. Many hope that one day the world can live in peace. But war is not stupid.

~Slammin
Posted by rshortman 8 years ago
rshortman
War isn't so stupid if you do it correctly. I may be conservative and all but when our allies backed out (can you say France, anyone?) Bush should've said 'F**k You' and 'F**k Iraq' and left them to their own devices but he didn't. He went in anyway. That was his mistake, not the fact that he wanted to bring Iraq down but the fact that he went ahead and did it without help or support from our allies. (some allies came through but it wasn't enough).

Same thing happened in Vietnam. F**k Iraq and F**k France. Next time we offer to do the right thing, that's what our president should say. In a perfect world, no one would need to fight alone. The entire UN would gang up on any country planning to attack anyone else.
Posted by snicker_911 8 years ago
snicker_911
well i see you've corrected me on some things, but i still don't like war and I'm stubborn so hehe, I'm still stuck up on somethings.

okay well ur welcome then. =0 hehe.
Posted by slammin 8 years ago
slammin
Thanks for the debate snicker_911!
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
I didn't read a little, I read ALL of it.

And I'm still lol'ing.
Posted by snicker_911 8 years ago
snicker_911
When I said war has gotten less violent in a way...I did not mean literally. I wrote a whole paragraph explaining what I meant, read a little.
Posted by Rezzealaux 8 years ago
Rezzealaux
"I have to say though, war has gotten less violent...in a way."

lol wut?
Posted by PoeJoe 8 years ago
PoeJoe
If I had the time, I'd argue that an "idea" cannot be stupid--only a person with an idea can be stupid--but I'm getting tired of semantics. Meh.
Vote Placed by magpie 8 years ago
magpie
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by Katie01 8 years ago
Katie01
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by snicker_911 8 years ago
snicker_911
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by Puck 8 years ago
Puck
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by stand4something 8 years ago
stand4something
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by Josh 8 years ago
Josh
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by Labrat228 8 years ago
Labrat228
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by SuperMegaLegend 8 years ago
SuperMegaLegend
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by Derek.Gunn 8 years ago
Derek.Gunn
snicker_911slamminTied
Vote Placed by indianajones644 8 years ago
indianajones644
snicker_911slamminTied