Truth_seeker
ATHOS

The ideal Christian husband/wife or "right one" is made not found

Truth_seeker
Voting Style: Judge Point System: 7 Point

Truth_seeker

Pro

I argue that the "right one" is not found as some would expect. The right one is not "perfect", but is made by experiences of battling sin, self-discipline, and the fruits of the Spirit. Failures and sin is necessary for the Christian to be shaped into the person that God deems for a relationship if it is his will.

First round acceptance
Truth_seeker

Pro

It's come to my attention in some Christian communities that there is a concept of "the right one" and that somehow God will bring him/her to you while you wait patiently in prayer. There are several problems with this approach:

1. Your not being proactive in your wait - What are you doing to build the characteristics you want to see in your spouse? How are you preparing yourself for the one? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Where's your walk with God now?

2. It's very easily to fall into the misguided belief that it will occur "supernaturally" when throughout most of the Scriptures, it isn't so.

3. There really is no "right one" in the Scriptures as the media might have you picture or at least it doesn't behave in the way that Scriptures teach. Proverbs explain the type of person you should marry, but doesn't give a formula for finding "the one. "

When you don't practice loving God in prayer and reading his word, you won't grow. When you don't grow spiritually, you not only fail to recognize the right one, but are bound to a devastating relationship. That's why people who are inactive with their faith will probably not find any marriage partner and end up blaming God for being single. That being said, what appears to be "the perfect guy/girl" isn't because according to the Scriptures: All have sinned in the eyes of God (Rom. 5:12). Gen. 2:23-24

" 23 And Adam said:

"This is now bone of my bones
And flesh of my flesh;
She shall be called Woman,
Because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh."

What can we learn from Adam and Eve? Evidenced by their capacity to sin, they were not perfect or almost flawless, but they were compatible to face the hardships in life. Their purpose was to unite as a married couple in the face of their punishment for sin. The relationship between Adam and Eve was not built upon moral perfection, but began as a sinful one which through faith eventually gave rise to the Messiah.

Ephesians 4:15

"we will speak the truth in love, growing in every way more and more like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church."

As you can see, we are growing in Jesus. We are not just saved from our sins, but we gradually come to known him fully.

Hypothetically, what would happen if a man got into a relationship with a woman at the wrong time? it will not work. Both may lack self discipline. Both may be selfish and unable to resolve conflict. Both may lack patience, gentleness, confidence, etc. They simply need time for the love of Jesus to develop to the point where the two can support one another.

Conclusion:

The right one is not a person found through prayer, it's made by a gradual relationship with God because every Christian begins a sinner.
ATHOS

Con

My opponents argument for the resolution

(The ideal Christian husband/wife or "right one" is made not found)

is a weak one. While he explains how the "right one" is made he fails to explain how they come to be with each other. According to the Bible Adam and Eve were made for each other, they were the first people God created. But are Christain couples brought together like this now? No, they find eachother. He even concedes to this in the comments section of this debate.

'I'm saying that at some point they find each other and yes God determines and creates what a Christian will experience in order to make them compatible applying to both partners.'

Back to Pro.
Truth_seeker

Pro

Con tries to claim that I conceded when he misread what I said. I will repeat what I said in round 1 and 2

"It's come to my attention in some Christian communities that there is a concept of "the right one" and that somehow God will bring him/her to you while you wait patiently in prayer."

I argue that the "right one" is not found as some would expect."

How they find each other is neither completely supernatural nor are Christians supposed to actively seek out a mate.

Proverbs 18:22

"The man who finds [matsa] a wife finds a treasure, and he receives favor from the LORD."

If the author really intended for a wife to be actively sought after, he would have used the Hebrew Baqash (1).

1. http://www.blueletterbible.org...
ATHOS

Con

ATHOS forfeited this round.
Truth_seeker

Pro

I rest my case
ATHOS

Con

Back to Pro.

Sorry about the R3 forfeiture. I didn't misread what my opponent wrote in the comments section:

"I'm saying that at some point they find each other and yes God determines and creates what a Christian will experience in order to make them compatible applying to both partners."

We can clearly see here that he concedes to the fact that "...at some point they find eachother..." thus negating the resolution.

Vote con
Posted by GoOrDin 2 years ago
GoOrDin
ideally I agree with pro.
Posted by Truth_seeker 2 years ago
Truth_seeker
I'm saying that at some point they find each other and yes God determines and creates what a Christian will experience in order to make them compatible applying to both partners.
Posted by ATHOS 2 years ago
ATHOS
It takes two people to form a relationship. Don't they at some point in their life find eachother? while it is true that experiences make up a persons character, are you claiming that God determines and creates what a christian will experience in order to (shape) make them compatible with another christian? And, does this "shaping" proccess happen with only one member of the relationship, or both?
Vote Placed by Blade-of-Truth 2 years ago
Blade-of-Truth
Truth_seekerATHOSTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct - Pro. Con forfeited a round which is rarely acceptable conduct in any debate setting. S&G - Tie. Both had proper spelling and grammar throughout. Arguments - Pro. Con relied on a comment posted by Pro *outside* of the debate and then attempted to use that as proof of Pro conceding the debate. As nothing said in the comments section should rightfully have any weight in the actual debate rounds, I must award arguments to Pro due to Con's reliance on something inadmissible. Sources - Pro. Con failed to utilize sources throughout this debate, whereas Pro did. This is a clear win for Pro.
Vote Placed by LostintheEcho1498 2 years ago
LostintheEcho1498
Truth_seekerATHOSTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded so conduct to Pro. Otherwise, I thought it was very close to tied but leaned a little toward Pro, slightly because of the concession and mainly from Con's weak rebuttal.
Vote Placed by ShadowKingStudios 2 years ago
ShadowKingStudios
Truth_seekerATHOSTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's FF...MCA, MRS, & C to Pro.
Vote Placed by JasperFrancisShickadance 2 years ago
JasperFrancisShickadance
Truth_seekerATHOSTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro provided better facts and made the Bible explain the simple resolution. The forfeit ruined Con's chance.