JOhn_D.5ilver
Glorious_Leader

The individual does not have free will, everything is pre-determined.

JOhn_D.5ilver

Pro

Round one will be the arguments of my opponent.
Round two will be my arguments against that of my opponent.
Remaining rounds will be further debate on this topic.
Glorious_Leader

Con

Thank you for posting a thought provoking discussion.

Free will seems natural to a species composed of thinking and evaluating agents, as is the case for humanity. Barring theological perspectives, determinism carries a sense of contradiction with a basic understanding of reality. As such, it appears to be the case that free will is inherit. If it is the case that it does not exist, then the illusion of it must be so convincing that it would not be possible for it to be distinguished from true free will for the purpose of an argument.
JOhn_D.5ilver

Pro

Human beings do have choice, but not freedom within it. As the choice represents the possibility it is only revealed for those who qualify for it. The options shown only to those with the right information at that moment thus giving certain preferences that are higher than others. In a swirl of information within oneself the external influence presented which define the moment of choice will create response. At this moment the input of that influence is embedded with the information and within the brain creating a path. Which is dependable on the information the holder of it currently holds. By it creating what we call the path of enforced direction. What takes away the free will is that the information that holds within the subconsciousness is bound with personal meaning and by it mapping out the route that fits best. Next lies in the gathering of information that is done automatically and by that not forming character of self choice, but inner process. The environment forms that single unit of emptiness to give direction in the future of the individual. All of this is connected with everything and even before the existence of men it can if all is known be pre-determined what direction every single human being is going to take. Except at those moment where the choice presented is not leading. By it creating choice of no preference. However, not free will of choice, but a random one will be formed.
Glorious_Leader

Con

I accept your claim that our decisions are influenced by prior knowledge and environment. However, choice still is present in the equation.

You point out that we take the "best" path to move forward based on our knowledge of what will happen as a result of a particular course of action. I disagree with this. While we generally will take such a course of action, the fact is that we have the choice to engage in an action that may not necessarily be beneficial to us, thus still allowing free will.
JOhn_D.5ilver

Pro

My apologies if that is what you literally took out of my arguments in round one. I don't mean the individual will take the best choice, but follow the most fitting one.

In your case it would be most fitting to follow that path. For the situation and the information within that individual forced the selflessness over self. See it as game design character where the individual has certain levels. The characteristics are displayed and such things as tolerance, patience, anger and everything else is based on these levels. Say your anger level is low and in a situation this area is tested. The possibilities are presented, but at that moment you will already know what will happen. The lowness of that level will force the path and the reaction will be a personal manifestation, but nevertheless will it be anger based.

Simplistically described the idea of what I mean. Of course other information will come into play that in a certain type of situation will involve other fields to react as well. For example, if a female is pushing his buttons the enforced idea of not hitting her because that is the information he possesses will come into play. For you see he is raised with the idea that hitting females is wrong. Now obviously in another situation he might break that rule, but that is because she (representing the external force) is no longer within his level to maintain it and thus breaking that rule automatically. With these examples I hope to clarify that particular argument in the first round.

Give it your best, I am trying to find someone that can disprove this.

Looking forward to your response.

Glorious_Leader

Con

Glorious_Leader forfeited this round.
JOhn_D.5ilver

Pro

You probably got surprised by the 24 hour time period to response. I always put that limit on so that people don't take the full 72 hours.
Glorious_Leader

Con

Glorious_Leader forfeited this round.