BlackSpartan16
9spaceking

The internet brings more harm than good.

9spaceking
Started: 4/2/2014 Category: Technology

BlackSpartan16

Con

The first round is for acceptance!
9spaceking

Pro

I accept the debate with massive non-preparedness, mild confidence and a little bit of geek.
BlackSpartan16

Con

The internet has brought greater prosperity, allowing not only established business more distribution channels over a wider area but it has allowed individuals and small businesses to flourish. The internet has allowed many more people to work from home and to share projects with co-workers across the whole world which has allowed for greater economic efficiency. In addition internet has also provided a cheap and wide-reaching platform for independent creative people to share and distribute their work.
9spaceking

Pro

It is exactly because of the internet's wide-spread that allows anyone to post anything, leading to cyber-bullying, stalking/sexual predators, and inappropriate photos or videos. These can lower people's reputation as well as bring embarrassment to those whom information are revealed to others. As said by http://www.webmd.com..., "Cyberbullying includes sending hateful messages or even death threats to children, spreading lies about them online, making nasty comments on their social networking profiles, or creating a website to bash their looks or reputation." this clearly shows a negative effect of the internet, especially on children--the adults of the future. Nobody wants the future to go wrong!
BlackSpartan16

Con

It is clear that everyone's privacy can be greatly harmed by the internet. Privacy online is a big concern, but an educated citizen can navigate the Internet in a safe and sensible manner with minimal privacy issues, although as with being offline the threat of crime can never be entirely eliminated. My opponent gives an impression that the effect of the Internet is having a negative impact on society, this is clearly not the case, people like the way the internet can bring people together.
****************************************************************************************************
People often complain that their opinions are ultimately pointless as nothing will change. This trend can be demonstrated with the numbers of people going out to vote consistently falling, however with the rise of the Internet this trend could reverse. What the internet has enabled is for everyone, in one way or another, to have the chance to truly have their voice heard. It has given them the ability to fully engage in topics that matter to them on a personal level. As this website and this very debate show, people can debate, share opinions and start petitions in the ways that were never truly available before.
9spaceking

Pro

This site also shows the greatest flaw of the internet: trolls and spammers.
Although other websites might have some, this website is extraordinarily packed with them, whether it's troll debates, or trolling in the forums. Children who see trollers and spammers might actually think it "fun", or "funny" and be affected by it, becoming trollers or spammers themselves.
"being offline the threat of crime can never be entirely eliminated." Con says. That's actually a bit false--being offline means no one can anonymously post danger messages or deliver massive hoaxes to the people, one infamous hoax being http://dhmo.org.... While this site might work online, it fails to do so offline, and people have to physically deliver them using papers, which is much easier portrayed in a website. My point is, the internet makes everything easier--including bad things.

Furthermore, the internet is relied upon as a source of information. Before the internet existed, everyone had to read magazines, newspapers, or borrow books from the library. You might argue the internet is much much faster, but I rebut back with the fact that not all sources are credible--the grand "mother of all" being Wikipedia.org. Even its own website claims it can make no guarantee of validity, and the site is usually number one on google.com searches!
https://www.google.com...
https://www.google.com...
https://www.google.com...
This is only one example of a website or source that is not credible.
Even people who know this fact can still stumble upon unbelievable websites, which is why people post tips to tell if a site is credible or not, one such as this: http://www.usg.edu...
If the internet was really credible, nobody would have to post such things online. I doubt people have to test the credibility of non-fiction books or encyclopedias, or post tips for seeing if a book is credible or not. All books are reviewed heavily and edited many many times, but a website, on the other hand, is usually not. In conclusion Websites aren't credible as books or newspapers, and thus they bring more harm than good. (What good is "all the knowledge in the world" if some knowledge is invalid and some are valid, but you have to evaluate which?)
BlackSpartan16

Con

The Internet gives millions of people access to information they would not otherwise have had, which is a huge benefit. People who read the news, offline or online, are not inherently dupable, they like all people do not simply accept messages, they are, to varying degrees, critical of what they read and not simply passive. When people spend a lot of time reading online content they can differentiate between trustworthy articles or extremely biases online who carefully refer to legitimate sources. The problem of bad information is not unique to the internet; there are lots of trashy articles that are poorly researched as well. We learn in formal education to double-check our sources and not believe in everything we read, and we can apply that skill while surfing the internet.
The internet helps to bring communities and the world closer together. With the ability for anybody to easily and quickly share rich information online, via a whole host of tools, the internet serves to bring people together. People can maintain and even create friendships without the barrier of geography using the internet. Additionally, social networks have a capacity to distribute news in a timely and targeted manner, directed at the people whom it mostly concerns, that is far greater than that of traditional media cannot compete. For example, ****http://fillthathole.org.uk...**** provides a nationwide portal for U.K. citizens to report road potholes.

The internet DOES NOT bring more harm than good since it brings the world together by not only encouraging direct communication with other people from other countries, but also by being able to share and distribute information in a way which traditional forms of communication could not do.

THANK YOU FOR THIS DEBATE
9spaceking

Pro

You are only repeating yourself and adding few arguments to your old arguments.
round one: you say it brings prosperity and allow people to work at home (with no sources to prove it what-so-ever), I rebut with cyber-bullying and stalker/sexual predators
round two: you say educated people can navigate it safely and it brings people together, as shown by debate.org, I rebut with trolls and spammers and possibility of children being affected, and hoaxes on the internet, showing the websites' untrustworthyness
round three: you say the internet gives off information (which I already stated!) and people can differentiate the trustworthy and biased articles. (Then why are the tips there for how to tell if a website is trustworthy or not? If people can differentiate, then there is no need for such articles!) You continue stating "help bring people together"...again? And then you say... "it brings the world together...."
You stated that twice. Just saying!
Ok, so now, my final argument.
Con has merely one source on his side (unless counting debate.org), so I will win sources wise. Conduct, maybe Con win, since he has "THANK YOU" in all caps.
Spelling....not sure, possibly tie...
And finally, Convincing arguments.
Well, I have to say, con did quite a nice job attempting to counter all my negatives effects of the internet.

Because I do not want to lose the argument conduct-wise by bringing up a new point in my conclusion, I shall sum up everything I said in the previous rounds.
The internet is not always credible, as people can post whatever they want, even if it's a lie. (One great example being the "fact" above. :P)
The internet has cyber-bullying and predators, both which are very hard to stop.
The internet has bad suggestive effect on children with its trolls and spammers.
Children can also be effected by video games. (according to a newspaper article,a student was found dead in front of the computer for being to addicted to playing games)
http://content.time.com...

The internet can invade your privacy (with cyber-bullying and the news)
In conclusion, the internet brings more harm than good. It is because of the ever-changing nature of the internet that it harms many people.
Vote pro, and
Con for this debate.
Posted by 9spaceking 3 years ago
9spaceking
that was not a false accusation though....they are very similar...Help bring people together, help bring world together--eh, about same thing.
Posted by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
"and a little bit of geek" - hilarious
Posted by BlackSpartan16 3 years ago
BlackSpartan16
I must say a job well done to my opponent and goodluck to him.
In rebut my opponent stated that my arguments clearly are similar in its expansion stage. I urge you audience to take into consideration the fact that my arguments were related to the topic and my opponent clearly is trying to overthrow me by make false accusations
Vote Placed by ESocialBookworm 3 years ago
ESocialBookworm
BlackSpartan169spacekingTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good job to both debaters. Although, I do agree that CON repeated some points, she did have good information. However, they could have been backed up with better sources.