Stupidape
Muslimdebater

The islam religion is misogynist.

Stupidape

Pro

Outline

I. Intro
II. Wife beating
III. Outfits covering face
IV. Husbands with multiple wives
V. Unable to drive a car
VI. Double standard against women
VII. Conclusion
VIII. Sources

I. Intro

For somebody who is non-Islamic its obvious that the Islamic religion is anti-woman. From oppressive face coverings to the non-verbal communication that woman are inferior. Let's take a deeper look and see if this is really the case.

II. Wife beating

Here's are two short videos showing details of Islam and wife beating [1][2]. That's seems to verify that wife beating is part of the Islam religion.

III. Outfits covering face

"Quran (24:31) - "And say to the believing women that they cast down their looks and guard their private parts and do not display their ornaments except what appears thereof, and let them wear their head-coverings over their bosoms," [3]

Head-coverings, could mean just covering the top of the head. Then, why do we see so many woman with fully/near full head coverings? The interpretation of course.

IV. Husbands with multiple wives

"Before we present the Quranic view on this matter, it must be said that Muslims today have badly corrupted God’s law in the Quran as they allow men to marry up to four wives at will," [4]

This is confusing. What I am interpreting is its against the Islamic God in most circumstances, yet not enforced. The question what is a religion must be asked?

"c. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader." [5]

Despite, being against the Koran, I contend that this a value that is part of the Islamic religion. Therefore, I contend that what is actually practiced matters. I conclude that the Islamic religion allows thus endorses husbands having multiple wives.

Think about a different scenario in a non-religious matter like speeding on a highway. If everyone speeds, and nobody is ever stopped or questioned, then this becomes part of the culture.

V. Unable to drive a car

"The Kingdom has long adhered to a particularly strict brand of Sunni Islam known as Wahhabism, which insists on segregation of the sexes and the veiling of women." [6]

Well this is confusing, but from what I understand is the Islamic religion has sub-divisions just like the Christian religion. Just as Christianity has Catholic and Protestant, Islam has multiple branches too. Therefore, some branches of Islam do and others don't.

VI. Double standard against women

"“Women shall with justice have rights similar to those exercised against them, although men have a status above women.” Quran 2:228" [7]

Double standard "A set of principles permitting greater opportunity or liberty to one than to another, especially the granting of greater sexual freedom to men than to women."[8]

"Some people say that if men are allowed to marry more than one woman, then women too should be allowed to have several husbands at any one time. Before the advent of Islam, there were some societies which permitted this, but Islam prohibited such a practice. " [9]

Men having multiple wives, but not visa versa is obviously a double standard.

VII. Conclusion

Overall, I come to the conclusion that the Islamic religion is misogynist, but not evenly. Not all branches of Islamic religion are equally misogynist.

VIII. Sources

1. https://www.youtube.com...
2. https://www.youtube.com...
3. http://thereligionofpeace.com...
4. http://www.quran-islam.org...(P1411).html
5. http://www.quran-islam.org...(P1411).html
6. http://www.theatlantic.com...
7. http://freethoughtnation.com...
8. http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
9. http://www.islamiccentre.org...
Muslimdebater

Con

The pro in the current situation hasn't taken a clear side. The statement ;

"Overall, I come to the conclusion that the Islamic religion is misogynist, but not evenly. Not all branches of Islamic religion are equally misogynist"

Proves that the pro doesn't have one side. For debate you need to make one point clear. If I am to debate on this. Should i be like, " Islam isn't misogynist' and then be like, "maybe".

I ask my opponent to make his/her views clear before starting the debate. Do you or do you not think of Islam as misogynist?
Stupidape

Pro

"Proves that the pro doesn't have one side. For debate you need to make one point clear. If I am to debate on this. Should i be like, " Islam isn't misogynist' and then be like, "maybe"." MuslimDebater

I was trying to be objective and let the evidence speak for itself. Yes, I am 99.99% sure that Islam is misogynist. The Islam religion is misogynist.
Muslimdebater

Con

The statement that Islam is misogynist is highly incorrect as Islam is the only religion that ever gave women any socail status before islam women were not even considered human they were buried alive right after birth. and these women rights of modern world were initially introduced and adopted by Islam. Islam was introduced at a time when it was a disgrace when a man had a daughter. And the women was severely punished. But Islam came and changed that.

I'm going to go ahead and give my opponent proofs from the Islamic book; Qur'an and from the hadith of Prophet Mohammed (peace be upon him) because these two are the only reliable source when looking for an answer.

EVIDENCE;

1) According to the Quran, men and women have the same spirit, there is no superiority in the spiritual sense between men and women. [Noble Quran 4:1, 7:189, 42:11]

2) "Whatever men earn, they have a share of that and whatever women earn, they have a share in that." [Noble Quran 4:32]

3) Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him) said, "Paradise is at the feet of mothers." Once a man came to him and asked, "O, Messenger, who among mankind is worthy of my kindness and love?" The Prophet answered, "Your mother." "Who next?" "Your mother." "Who next?" "Your mother." Only after the third time he said, "And your father."

This clearly shows how much respect honour Islam gives to women.

And there are numerous other example but I will answer my opponents blames from round one in order to win this debate.

1) wife beating;

My opponent might have taken this part from the surah of Qur'an Al-nisa which means the women. This in itself means that women have great status in Islam. For they have a whole chapter by their name.

"Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more strength than the other, and because they support them from their means. Therefore, the righteous women are devoutly obedient and guard in the husband's absence what Allah would have them to guard. As to those women on whose part you fear disloyalty and ill-conduct, admonish them (first), (next), refuse to share their beds, (and last) beat them (lightly); but if they return to obedience, seek not against them means (of annoyance); for Allah is most High and Great (above you all). If you fear a breach between them twain, appoint (two) arbiters, one from his family and the other from hers. If they wish for peace, Allah will cause their reconciliation; for Allah has full knowledge and is acquainted with all things." (Quran: An-Nisaa 34-35)

It is important to read the section fully. One should not take part of the verse and use it to justify one's own misconduct. This verse neither permits violence nor condones it. It guides us to ways to handle delicate family situation with care and wisdom. The word "beating" is used in the verse, but it does not mean "physical abuse". The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) explained it "dharban ghayra mubarrih" which means "a light tap that leaves no mark". He further said that face must be avoided. Some other scholars are of the view that it is no more than a light touch by siwak, or toothbrush.

Generally, the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) used to discourage his followers from taking even this measure. He never hit any female, and he used to say that the best of men are those who do not hit their wives. In one Hadith he expressed his extreme repulsion from this behavior and said, "How does anyone of you beat his wife as he beats the stallion camel and then embrace (sleep with) her?" (Al-Bukhari, English Translation, vol. 8,)

2) Outfits covering face:-

For men, the eye is what increases their sexual desires. That's why it's common for men in the west to look lustfully at western women (who dress inappropriately by exposing 60% of their bodies and up)

Allah Almighty ordered women to cover up so that they don't look sexually intimidating, and He ordered men not to touch women whom those men are not their "mahram" (guardians). In other words, a man can touch his daughter on the shoulder for instance, or his mother. But he can't go around and touch stranger women, because depending on the woman, this could raise her sexual desires to lead her to commit fornication or adultery.

This sexual atmosphere creates nothing but psychological and emotional difficulties and insecurities among the teenage boys, who will then grow up to be sexually insecure.

It is necessary for a woman to cover herself so she doesn't look sexually inviting as every other woman nowadays does.

Proof; words of men

1)
Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali, have said that unveiled victims of public rape invited their attackers: "If I came across a rape crime " kidnap and violation of honour " I would discipline the man and order that the woman be arrested and jailed for life.' Why would you do this, Rafihi? He says because if she had not left the meat uncovered, the cat wouldn't have snatched it... If you take uncovered meat and put it on the street, on the pavement, in a garden, in a park or in the backyard, without a cover and the cats eat it, is it the fault of the cat or the uncovered meat? The uncovered meat is the problem."

2)
Iranian activist bluntly said that "it is a man's right to benefit from what he loves. When a man forces himself onto a woman because she is "showing off her beauty", this [should not] be considered rape."

HUSBAND WITH MULTIPLE WIVES;

Why husband can have multiple wives and women can't have multiple husband? I'm guessing that is your question.

It's important to remember that Islam came into place in an area when polygamy was already incredibly common and polygyny and polyandry was already considered evil and illegal. So saying polygyny is not allowed wouldn't have done anything to help the problem. Instead Islam decided to regulate and manage it much more strictly. By setting a limit (no limit was previously imposed) on how many wives, setting strict circumstances( must be fair and treat wives equally ), and giving women the right to choose(previously if a many wanted a new wife he could simply 'buy one') Islam created a much much fairer situation for women.

There are a lot of social problems if this rule isn't kept in mind.

Example;

1. Inheritance - if there are many fathers and only one mother, who's child belongs to which father? Now you might be able to find out nowadays but it was completely impossible back then.

2. Growth Stunts - Women are only capable of birthing one healthy child per nine(ish) month period. So having 4 men tied to one woman means only one child in nine months. Whereas 4 women tied to one man means (at maximum) 4 children in nine months and back at that time,due to natural calamities. it was important to have many many children so at least one would survive.

3. Economics - In Islam it is a man's duty to support his entire family (whether 1 wife and 1 child, or 3 wives and 8 children). By tying 3 men to 1 woman, that means all three men are only responsible for that one woman and her children. Whereas if one man is tied to 3 women he has to support all 3 and their children. This is a much better situation because it means more women and children are being taken care of.

Etc....etc...

UNABLE TO DRIVE A CAR

is that a problem? Personally, I dont mind not driving a car. I don't know how that Is oppression. But I'll answer it anyway.

1.Women driving cars will lead them to take off the face-cover.
2 It will lead to women losing their modesty and feminine shyness.
3 It will make it easier for women to leave their houses without need.
4 It will lead women to be free to go wherever they want and whenever they want.
5 It will be a tool of rebellion against husbands and families in that if a woman is upset she can get in her car and go someplace to cool down.
It will lead to Fitna (a door to sin)in many ways:
a) at stoplights
b) at gas stations
I wish to write more but word limits.. So so the answer to next blames in other round. Thanx
Stupidape

Pro

I could make an argument for round three, but my opponent provided additional evidence that the Islamic faith is misogynist. In fact I find my opponent's round two argument incredibly misogynist. Although my adversary states she didn't agree with me, her evidence suggests otherwise.

"It is necessary for a woman to cover herself so she doesn't look sexually inviting as every other woman nowadays does.

Proof; words of men

1)
Sheik Taj Din al-Hilali, have said that unveiled victims of public rape invited their attackers: "If I came across a rape crime " kidnap and violation of honour " I would discipline the man and order that the woman be arrested and jailed for life.' Why would you do this, Rafihi? He says because if she had not left the meat uncovered, the cat wouldn't have snatched it... If you take uncovered meat and put it on the street, on the pavement, in a garden, in a park or in the backyard, without a cover and the cats eat it, is it the fault of the cat or the uncovered meat? The uncovered meat is the problem."" Muslimdebater

My opponent provides evidence for my side of the debate. I find this statement to be a quintessential example of misogynism. Jailed for life? Simply for being unveiled! This is outrageous! This insults all woman kind. This is a travesty of justice. Such injustices cannot be left unanswered. Such open double standards and discrimination again women invites prejudice against other minorities.

Your position was uphill, yet you still struggled anyhow, I see a certain valiance in this. Good luck in further debates.
Muslimdebater

Con

This is going to be my last argument. And im glad to do this debate. First I'll answer this little thing then continue part of my second round.

My opponent said;

" Jailed for life? Simply for being unveiled! This is outrageous! This insults all woman kind. This is a travesty of justice. Such injustices cannot be left unanswered. Such open double standards and discrimination again women invites prejudice against other minorities. "

I would kindly like to tell my opponent that that is not an Islamic law but merely words of an man named'Sheik Taj Din'. His statement is in no way representing Islam. The purpose of putting his words here was to show you the opinion that men have against uncovered women.

Moreover my opponent ignored and didnt comment on the rest of my argument. Which could mean he agrees with me. my opponent hasn't as of yet provided any real evidence to prove his point so, I should defiantly win. He just stated two verses in the first round. He has and has no argument. But i will fulfil my duty and answer his questions from round 1.

THIS IS THE LAST BLAME FROM MY OPPONENT;

DOUBLE STANDARD AGAINST WOMEN:-
The part of men having multiple wives and women not having multiple husbands has already been discuss in the second round.

Hence, I stand with my debate having nullified all of my opponents points whereas he couldn't do the same.

VOTE CON!!
Posted by SJM 7 months ago
SJM
"According to the Quran, men and women have the same spirit, there is no superiority in the spiritual sense between men and women."

The Quran could say these things, but if their actions indicate otherwise then this one quote doesn't excuse their other actions. If a husband said he loved his wife, but beat her, he's still a wife beater. Therefore this quote does not illustrate that Islam is not a misogynist religion.
Posted by Muslimdebater 7 months ago
Muslimdebater
Thanks for the comments :)
Posted by Sheed1980 7 months ago
Sheed1980
First u have 2 understand Qur'anic laws r God's words & have reasoning.4 instance men able 2 have 4 wives at a time (if the wife agrees) is due 2 the fact that many men were slain in war & left behind wives & children.So widows had none 2 care 4 them. So God allows men 2 do this if they spend equal time, kindness & money on EACH WIFE.So being with 1 wife, unfairly more than others, he will be brought 2 account by God Himself.Daraba literally means beat, go abroad, or give but not in the sense 2 give something by hand, but 2 give as an example.Like the word daraba(4:34)& darabtum(4:94) are derived from the same root.Both used in chapter 4, meaning 2 desert or leave.Also in 4:34 where God seems 2 allow men 2 hit their wives after the 2 warnings of ill-conduct & disloyalty,God is commanding Muslims 2 leave home & desert their wives 4 a time hoping that the wives will repent 2 God & return 2 their senses.
Women can't have more than 1 husband 4 reasons of pregnancy.If more than 1 man is liable, then who would be the father?U know the 7th century had no pregnancy tests?
God commands Muslim women 2 cover in public the same as women of biblical times.The way women dress today is similar 2 prostitution,& look how many women are raped.Not 2 say rape doesn't happen but when beauty is covered it makes it harder for men 2 b aroused.So God knowing what arouses men commands women 2 cover these things 2 make them safer & guard their modesty. However Muslim women that cover their hands & faces do this with their own free-will.
Women not allowed 2 drive is not Islamic law but Arab culture.Just as in pre-Islamic times they buried baby girls alive since having boys meant family power.Of course this is strictly forbidden in Islam & also genocidal due 2 females being needed 2 reproduce offspring.Women r commanded by God 2 b well respected in Islam. So as u c Islam is very fair.The violence & sexism come from the cultures & hatred of mankind but not from the peaceful religion itself.
Posted by lord_megatron 7 months ago
lord_megatron
how is unable to drive a car misogynist? That is not related to the debate.
Posted by DavidMancke 7 months ago
DavidMancke
Damn, you got a pricey truck posted.
Posted by VidjelAberKessler 7 months ago
VidjelAberKessler
Someone would be mad to debate against this.