james1014
TheOpinionist

The last year of elementry you should have to switch classes!

TheOpinionist

james1014

Pro

When the next year is middle school they should switch classes to get ready for transition,being more organized and more homework. In the beginning of the year some students are not use to transition so they will be late for classes. Then if that kept happening it can effect grades. In elementry that is where we make mistakes. Then in middle school you need good grades to get in a good high school and start your life.
TheOpinionist

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for issuing this challenge. I will post a few contentions for Round 1.

Elementary school children should not have to switch classes. It is simply a waste of time. Often, children are in 4-8 different classes per day, and don't need to walk to each room when time can be saved by not switching rooms. It is not something you really need to prepare for. When I came out of elementary, I had never switched classes, but it was very easy to adapt to. One student got lost on the first day and was consequentially two minutes late. It did not affect his grades at all, though. Elementary school teachers should not have to worry losing lecture time because kids get lost.

Actually, it's something that can be practiced on the child's own time.
james1014

Pro

If you just prepared the last year of elementary you would be ready for all of middle school three years is a big difference to one year. You said that changing classes for one year wastes time being late for classes for three years wastes time. In elementary they don't really care if you are late but in middle school you need to act more mature. Then when you start you will get some detentions because you are not use to that their more strict. Also when the kids can switch classes in the last year of elementary they will feel more mature more grown up.
TheOpinionist

Con

Rebuttal time:

"If you just prepared the last year of elementary you would be ready for all of middle school three years is a big difference to one year"

I have a few objections to this statement
  • Kids can practice this on their own time. Speedwalking, organizing bags, etc.
  • It's not really hard to switch classes. It all relies on your knowledge of the campus layout, which you can't know before you get to middle school. Are we going to make kids practice walking?

"You said that changing classes for one year wastes time being late for classes for three years wastes time."

I have objections here too. Proficiency at switching classes relies on the students' knowledge of their schools campus, not their ability to walk.

" In elementary they don't really care if you are late but in middle school you need to act more mature."

When you're late in elementary school, you lose class time, which lowers test scores. You also enter middle school less smart if you've had less class time. What is more important in middle school: intelligence or walking ability?

"Then when you start you will get some detentions because you are not use to that their more strict."

It's not hard to walk from class to class. It's the students fault for not memorizing the campus layout and being late. It's not the elementary school's job to teach the student to walk from room to room at the expense of their lecture time.

"Also when the kids can switch classes in the last year of elementary they will feel more mature more grown up."

A student's grades matter more than the little self-esteem boost that they get from walking in between rooms.

CONCLUSION: Not only is it unnecessary for students to switch classes in elementary school, but it will likely have a negative effect on their grades and make them do worse in middle and high school.

I'd like to thank my opponent for this debate, and I await his next argument.

james1014

Pro

If kids cold not switch classes they would just sit in their seat the hole day and be bored out of their mind. Then if they could switch classes they would look foward to break so they would work harder. Also kids are bullied all the time so if they can switch classes they're only will see the bully about 2 hours that is a big difference to 6 hours. On the website do you know 10 facts about bullying 1 of them is over a 160,000 kids skip school because of bullying that would sure effect grades. Another is 35% of bullying is life threatening. So a few of children are dying by the minute.
TheOpinionist

Con

Thanks to my opponent for a simply wonderful debate. I enjoyed it. I intend to finish it here.

A note before I start: Pro dropped all of my contentions. Literally all of them.

"If kids cold not switch classes they would just sit in their seat the hole day and be bored out of their mind"

What matters more: the kids being entertained, or their grades? The answer is obvious. We shouldn't compromise lesson time to pander to students. They are at school to learn, not to be entertained.

"Then if they could switch classes they would look foward to break so they would work harder."

This is unsourced and really just makes no sense. When I get closer to a break, I start to slack off. As do the rest of my classmates. The underclassmen do it too.

"Also kids are bullied all the time so if they can switch classes they're only will see the bully about 2 hours that is a big difference to 6 hours. "

There is a logical fallacy here. That is that students would continue to bully each other when there are teachers in the room and there is work to do. Kids are more likely to bully during break times, so reducing those would consequentially reduce bullying.

"On the website do you know 10 facts about bullying 1 of them is over a 160,000 kids skip school because of bullying that would sure effect grades."

The question here is: when does that bullying occur? And even if it did happen in class, the teacher could simply rearrange the seating chart so that the kids wouldn't interact for the entire day.

"Another is 35% of bullying is life threatening. So a few of children are dying by the minute."

This is unrelated, but how do we define bullying? A lot of kids call bullying on the slightest of things, and are oversensitive. This may be more viable if you had provided a concrete definition, but the problem of bullying would be easily solved anyway.

CONCLUSION: My opponent contends that not switching classes will lead to suicides because of bullying. I have debunked this claim while protecting my points from his rebuttals. This necessitates a Con Vote.

Thanks for this debate. It was really fun.

PS: dosomething.org (Pro's source for the bullying stats) is absurdly biased to the left and often ignores plain facts. Avoid getting information from them and find some real statistics.
Posted by james1014 2 years ago
james1014
Sorry it's actually called 11 facts about bullying Do something.org
Vote Placed by Greg4586 2 years ago
Greg4586
james1014TheOpinionistTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a bit of a strange debate. First off I would like to give a few tips to pro. 1. Don't put exclamation points after your resolution. 2. Try to properly punctuate your sentences So for the spelling and grammar point that goes to con, because Pro had a lot of grammatical errors like run-on sentences that made it difficult to understand his arguments. I gave the more convincing arguments points to con. I did this because a lot of Pro's arguments just didn't make any sense. Like the bullying one. Pro claimed that kids can get picked on 6 hours a day in the same classes and that switching would help. As Con stated if bullying is an issue I promise you it would be worse during breaks. Also with the break argument Con brings up a really good point that students start to slack when there is a break soon.