ksmsparkles
Taylor.Gregory

The legal age for drinking should be lowered from 21 to 18

ksmsparkles

Con

I do not agree that the legal age for drinking should be lowered to age 18. I understand that 18 is the age that a person is considered an adult and therefore able to make their own choices. However, 18 and 19 year-olds are still technically teenagers. Drinking is a serious thing. It can cause major health problems and even death. Some people might even debate that alcohol was made illegal to everyone. The age of 21 seems a reasonable age limit to me. I think that by age 21 most people are mature enough to understand the consequences of drinking. Kids today seem to take longer to mature. "From ages 11-14, kids lose some of the connections between cells in the part of their brain that enables them to think clearly and make good decisions."(http://www.psychologytoday.com...)
Kids who are experiencing these brain changes can react emotionally, according to Ian Campbell, a neurologist at the U.C. Davis Sleep Research Laboratory. Some results of those changes are mood swings, uncooperative and irresponsible attitudes. Sometimes, they can"t explain why they feel the way they do. This is the time when their brain is changing from a child's brain to an adult's brain. "The frontal lobes of the brain which are responsible for high level reasoning and decision making aren"t fully mature until the early 20s, according to Deborah Yurgelun-Todd, a neuroscientist at Harvard"s Brain Imaging Center." (http://www.psychologytoday.com...) So even an 18 year-old is not fully matured. So 21 is a good age because the person most likely has a brain mature enough to make good decisions and understand the possible outcomes of drinking.
Taylor.Gregory

Pro

Having a drinking age of 21 "devalues" the legal title of adult. All new found freedoms given to legal adults such as joining the military, agreeing to get married, or deciding to legally use tobacco products all require some degree of understanding what happens when one makes a specific choice, the consumption of alcohol should be no different. It's more than time we lowered the drinking age to 18 in the United States, and catch up to where most of the Western world has been at for some time now.
ksmsparkles

Con

ksmsparkles forfeited this round.
Taylor.Gregory

Pro

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
ksmsparkles

Con

ksmsparkles forfeited this round.
Taylor.Gregory

Pro

Taylor.Gregory forfeited this round.
Posted by wwwwh 2 years ago
wwwwh
Even after looking at the link i do not understand the 11-14loseing connections thing it almost suggests 10 year olds make better dicisions than 14 year olds.
Posted by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
It's a lot easier to seduce 18 yr olds when they are drunk :)
Posted by Finalfan 2 years ago
Finalfan
I completely agree with you! If we didn't fail so horribly with prohibition this would not be an issue! But people will get there alcohol regardless of their age or restrictions! My question is: If prohibition failed on so many levels to the point where alcohol won! Why has the same not happened with marijuana? I'm not too concerned about the legalization of marijuana anymore... but that is mostly because I do not take the law seriously! "Pick your battles" I always say!