The legal age to purchase/consume/possession of alcohol should not be lowered in the United States

Before I get into the parameters, I just want to point out that I want to learn how debate and refute arguments better. I believe facing persons who are more experienced will lead to better conditioning (not a debatable topic haha) in my own skill because I like debating. That being said, I'm new to this format so I may leave out things in my parameters that more experienced Debaters would probably capitalize on. So I encourage a Debater who is very skilled, at the same time if my performance falters because of a flaw in my parameter's that I won't be looked down upon as a troll or not worthy opponent.

Onto the Parameters:
Pro/For - will argue that the legal age to purchase/consume alcohol in the United States should not be lowered according to the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 and is acceptable as is stated
Con/Against - will argue that the legal drinking age should be lowered

National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 - requires that States prohibit persons under 21 years of age from purchasing or publicly possessing alcoholic beverages as a condition of receiving State highway funds. A Federal regulation that interprets the Act excludes from the definition of "public possession," possession "for an established religious purpose; when accompanied by a parent, spouse or legal guardian age 21 or older; for medical purposes when prescribed or administered by a licensed physician, pharmacist, dentist, nurse, hospital or medical institution; in private clubs or establishments; or to the sale, handling, transport, or service in dispensing of any alcoholic beverage pursuant to lawful employment of a person under the age of twenty-one years by a duly licensed manufacturer, wholesaler, or retailer of alcoholic beverages"
Purchase - to acquire by the payment of money or other consideration.
Consume - to eat or drink up or absorb
Possession - the state of having, owning, or controlling something
Legal Drinking Age - Refer to NMDA (though some states allow for exceptions, this debate will only consider the legal drinking age in any state or territory of the United States to be 21)
Alcohol - alcohol, or any beverage containing more than one-half of one percent of alcohol by volume, which is capable of use for beverage purposes, either alone or when diluted. Beer, Wines, Spirits, Liquor are all considered alcoholic drinks

Other considerations:
Burden of Proof is on Pro/For to argue why 21 should be the standard
Both sides must support any statement relating to statistical or empirical arguments with a citation from a verified source. (ie: most drunk driving accidents occur under the age of 21)
Pro/For must state in initial argument why the age 21 is relevant to the discussion
Con/Against can only argue for ages that are lower than 21, but can dispute why age 21 is relevant to the discussion
Con/Against does not have to prove that any age lower than 21 is "better"

Round 1- is Considerations and acceptance.

Round 2 - Pro and Con will give their arguments

Round 3 - Pro and Con will support initial arguments from Round 1, one additional argument can be introduced and supported if either side desires

Round 4 - Rebuttals from Pro and Con, no new arguments or supports can be made; only rebuttals of rounds 1 and 2. A final defense/summation at the end of your Rebuttals.

I hope this will be an enlightening discussion, I hope to learn and expand my knowledge on debating and hope both sides approach this topic respectfully

I accept. This is a very interesting subject and I look forward to debating it. This will be my first real debate on (other first was a troll).

John_Royals forfeited this round.

Will you continue the debate?

Sorry, I was caught up with with other things. I will forfeit the debate to you as I failed to the initial premises.

Sounds good. I'd like to try this debate again later!
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro concedes the debate.