taburkasaurusrex
Bolas

The legal drinking age should be lowered to 16.

Bolas

taburkasaurusrex

Pro

The drinking age should be lowered to the age of sixteen. If we were to lower the drinking age, you wouldn't have as many teens going out and getting drunk in secret. If teens were allowed to drink they wouldn't want to do it so bad. If they want to drink, then they're still going to, just it will be behind their parents or guardians backs where they won't get caught.
Bolas

Con

I agree that the drinking age should be lowered, however, not to the age of 16. I will argue with what I see everyday at school. Many of my fellow schoolmates are not mature enough to drink responsibly. Yes, regardless what the age requirement is there will be teens that drink. Let's take a serious issue hand in hand with this. Drinking and Driving, and Car Accidents that mainly teens are in. I am not saying that all teens would drink and drive, but you better believe that some will.
Another thing that I've seen is that many students, which I am in high school so 15-16 is my age group, don't know restraint. They don't know when to stop. Alcohol can be very deadly if you continue to drink. Teens these days think drinking is "cool" and that smoking is "cool." You have some that will not stop since they don't know restraint. I do agree with you that it should be lowered, I will state that again; however, I think it should be to the age of 18. A
taburkasaurusrex

Pro

That was a very valid point. "I am not saying that all teens would drink and drive, but you better believe that some will." I agree with that. But most teens who are driving are already drinking, whether they're 15 or 18. In most small towns, everyone is drinking. I'm from a small town, am still in high school, and I drink on occasionally. Yes some teens don't know when to stop and drinking too much can lead to death. Many kids drink. "In 2009, 10.4 million young people ages 12"20 reported that they drank alcohol beyond "just a few sips" in the past month." Yes I agree too much alcohol can shut your body down and kill you. "Excessive alcohol use led to approximately 88,000 deaths and 2.5 million years of potential life lost (YPLL) each year in the United States from 2006 " 2010." But many 16 year old teens are drinking almost on a daily basis. Most body's will force the person to stop drinking, as they'll pass out or start puking.
Bolas

Con

Yes, you are correct. I will not even try to deny that. Most teens these days, from what I see on a daily basis, are not yet mature enough enough to be able to drink at such an age. Yes you are correct, a lot of 16 year old teens drink on a daily basis. But most teens are still growing, and their bodies are still going through changes. Alcohol effects while the body is still growing can be dangerous. Most teens at that age are still growing.

"Adolescence is a time of rapid physical development, and a lot of growing teens feel ambivalent about these changes. Facial hair, vocal changes and signs of sexual maturity can be both exciting and embarrassing. But teenagers may not realize that alcohol can interfere with this important process, causing delays in sexual development. Frequent drinking can also cause weight gain, which may put you at risk for developing high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.

Teenagers who keep drinking into adulthood have a higher risk of developing cirrhosis of the liver when they"re older. The liver is one of the most important organs in your body, helping you metabolize nutrients and rid your system of harmful toxins. Because your liver also metabolizes alcohol, excessive drinking can put a tremendous strain on this vital organ, eventually leading to illness and death." (newportacademy.com)

At the age of 16, I believe it is not the time for a teen to be actively drinking legally.
taburkasaurusrex

Pro

That is a very good point. But I believe that if a 16 year old can physically go out and get a job, legally drive, and be treated as an adult then they should be allowed to drink. If I was a 16 year old guy and I just got home from a long day at school and then work and I wanted a cold Bud Light why shouldn't I be enabled to the right?

"Dwight B. Heath knows what he is about to say will sound a little crazy to most people. When asked what the minimum legal drinking age should be in the U.S., Heath says 8, or maybe even 6. No, the Brown University anthropology professor is not advocating getting kids drunk. Instead he favors a cultural model, common in countries like France or Italy, where parents serve small amounts of wine to their children at family meals. By doing this, he says, parents educate their kids about alcohol and rob drinking of its taboo allure, which can make rebellious teenagers sneak off to basements and backwoods to binge drink far from adult supervision." (http://www.cnn.com...)

Many countries, such as Belgium, Denmark, and Germany, allow 16 year old teens to buy alcoholic beverages. If the United States were to lower their drinking age to 16 it would cut binge drinking drastically. In about 30 states in the U.S. under aged drinking is allowed if the teens are with their guardians. So over half of the states are allowing under aged drinking, but it's not legal through out the whole country.
Bolas

Con

Yes, that is true. And having teens or even younger aged children drink small amounts of alcohol is not morally bad, but it can affect the brain and the body.

"Difficulty walking, blurred vision, slurred speech, slowed reaction times, impaired memory: Clearly, alcohol affects the brain. Some of these impairments are detectable after only one or two drinks and quickly resolve when drinking stops. On the other hand, a person who drinks heavily over a long period of time may have brain deficits that persist well after he or she achieves sobriety. Exactly how alcohol affects the brain and the likelihood of reversing the impact of heavy drinking on the brain remain hot topics in alcohol research today.

We do know that heavy drinking may have extensive and far"reaching effects on the brain, ranging from simple "slips" in memory to permanent and debilitating conditions that require lifetime custodial care. And even moderate drinking leads to short"term impairment, as shown by extensive research on the impact of drinking on driving."

(http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov...)

I want to thank you for this debate. You had well rounded arguments and points.
Posted by Bolas 1 year ago
Bolas
That's perfectly acceptable. I was just producing a counterargument and why I believe it shouldn't. Everyone has their own beliefs and that's acceptable.
Posted by taburkasaurusrex 1 year ago
taburkasaurusrex
That's alright. I'm just expressing my opinion and stating why I believe it should.
Posted by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Daniel_Nemes
I am with Bolas on this one.
Posted by taburkasaurusrex 1 year ago
taburkasaurusrex
Same to you.
Posted by Bolas 1 year ago
Bolas
I accept. Best of luck to you.
Posted by taburkasaurusrex 1 year ago
taburkasaurusrex
Nope. If you want to accept then do it. Just support your side and give valid arguments.
Posted by Bolas 1 year ago
Bolas
How do you want the argument to go?mlike do you have any requirements.
Posted by taburkasaurusrex 1 year ago
taburkasaurusrex
What do you mean?
Posted by Bolas 1 year ago
Bolas
Do you want this to go any specific way?
Vote Placed by RavenDebater 1 year ago
RavenDebater
taburkasaurusrexBolasTied
Reasons for voting decision: This was a tough one. Bot sides made clear arguments, but the refutation for the heath affects argument (Saying that the drinking age should be lowered to nine or six) was unconvincing and had little relevance to the debate
Vote Placed by LostintheEcho1498 1 year ago
LostintheEcho1498
taburkasaurusrexBolasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct is equal as is spelling and sources. Argument goes to con. Pro made points that did not really support his argument in a comprehensive sense. That is to say he did not say how his points contributed for or against his thesis.
Vote Placed by Daniel_Nemes 1 year ago
Daniel_Nemes
taburkasaurusrexBolasTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's argument makes more logical sense. Drinking would do nothing but destroy a sixteen year-old's body.
Vote Placed by Chucknorris5799 1 year ago
Chucknorris5799
taburkasaurusrexBolasTied
Reasons for voting decision: ah that's a tough one. Both had good points.