jared_dd
Defro

The legal driving age should be lowered to 14

Defro

jared_dd

Pro

The legal driving age should be lowered to 14 because of the many responsibilities of becoming an adult. As i reach the driving age i realize how much responsibility you earn and the trust that you earn. All over the world many teenagers can be more respnsible than an adult. I'm not saying all of them just a handful. I think we should reward those who continue to show responsibility and accentuate the correct form of what we want in a teenager. Many see teenagers as a threat to the community, just a stupid kid who has no idea what the world means or is like. Those who have ecletic smarts and abilities should be treated as so. Most adults who have messed up as a wealthy, poor , middle class person divulge their mistakes. Adults can be as irresponsible, unhealthy human being than any teenager out there, therefore i believe in rewarding those who are trustworthy and responsible.
Defro

Con

I accept this debate. Thank you for instigating it. Because the legal driving age varies with each individual country, and Pro did not specify, I will assume that Pro is directing is arguments towards the United States. Therefore, I will argue that the legal driving age should not be lowered to 14 in the United States and remain at the age of 16. However, I am certain that if Pro's arguments was directed globally, my arguments would still remain valid.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I will begin with a brief rebuttal of Pro's claims:

"The legal driving age should be lowered to 14 beccause of the many responsibilities of becoming an adult."

-I don't quite understand this statement. How does having many responsibilities as an adult have anything to do with lowering the legal driving age? Your thesis is unclear. I request you to clarify.

"All over the world many teenagers can be more respnsible than an adult."

-Adults are generally more responsible than teenagers, due mainly to the fact that they must live and take care of themselves. Teenagers generally live with parents who take care of them. Therefore, most adults are more responsible than most teenagers. However, I concede that there are some teenagers that can be more responsible than some adults.

-I would like to remind Pro that teenagers are allowed to drive. The legal driving age in the United States is 16, which is a teen age.

"I'm not saying all of them just a handful."

-Pro has conceded to the fact that not all teenagers are responsible enough to drive.

"I think we should reward those who continue to show responsibility and accentuate the correct form of what we want in a teenager."

-Pro is using his opinions to support his claim. Very well, if he can use his opinions to support his argument, I can use my opinions to oppose them. I dissagree with his opinion. I for one believe that responsibility should not be rewarded, but expected. Also, by accentuating what we want in a teenager, we are in a sense conditioning them to be what we want them to be and not what they want themselves to be. Therefore, it can be said that by accentuating what we want in a teenager, we are deriving them of their freedom of choice.

"Many see teenagers as a threat to the community, just a stupid kid who has no idea what the world means or is like."

-This is another opinion made by Pro with no evidence to support. I don't think this is the case in society. I think many see teenagers as the future generation who will uphold their legacies and continue the progression of the world.

"Those who have ecletic smarts and abilities should be treated as so."

-First of all it's spelled "eclectic".

-Second of all, one can argue that this is discriminating and unfair towards normal people without eclectic abilities.

"Most adults who have messed up as a wealthy, poor , middle class person divulge their mistakes. Adults can be as irresponsible, unhealthy human being than any teenager out there, therefore i believe in rewarding those who are trustworthy and responsible."

-Pro is contradicting himself. Wouldn't people who divulge ther mistakes be responsible? Part of responsibility is admitting your mistakes, therefore, people who divulge their mistakes are actually responsible.

-Pro is suggesting that because some teenagers are more responsible than adults, adults should not be able to drive legally, but teenagers should. This is absurd due to reasons I don't think I need to bring up.
________________________________________________________________________________

ADDENDUM

-14 year olds do not neccessarily need to drive, therefore there is no neccessary need to lower the legal driving age to 14. They are in middle school and most likely have guardian(s) that look after them and drive for them. When they reach the age of 16, it would be more reasonable for them to drive.

*Pro made strong assumptions that I am skeptical about due to the fact that it is difficult to be proven or supported by evidence. Because responsibility is not something one can generally measure, Pro does not have sufficient evidence to make his implied claim that 14 year olds are more responsible, if not just as responsible as adults.

*Pro is confusing 14 year olds with teenagers as a whole. While 14 year olds are teenagers, not all teenagers are 14 year olds, and some teenagers are eligible to drive because they are 16 or older.

jared_dd

Pro

jared_dd forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

I will repost my conclusion.

14 year olds do not neccessarily need to drive, therefore there is no neccessary need to lower the legal driving age to 14. They are in middle school and most likely have guardian(s) that look after them and drive for them. When they reach the age of 16, it would be more reasonable for them to drive.

jared_dd

Pro

jared_dd forfeited this round.
Defro

Con

Pro has forfeited every round.
Vote Con
Posted by jonny_merr 10 months ago
jonny_merr
can you site a source for me please?
Vote Placed by Dennybug 2 years ago
Dennybug
jared_ddDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.
Vote Placed by The_Scapegoat_bleats 2 years ago
The_Scapegoat_bleats
jared_ddDefroTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.