DylanFromSC
republican1021

The legalization of Marijuana in the United States would benefit all Americans.

DylanFromSC

DylanFromSC

Pro

1. The distribution/use of alcohol is FAR more dangerous than the distribution/use of Marijuana.

2. The alcohol industries and tobacco industries have both flourished in any economy, why wouldn't the Marijuana industry flourish?

3. Marijuana is already being distributed all over the United States, why not use it to help the economy?

4. There are an average of 0 Marijuana related deaths in the United States every year, however, there are 435,000 tobacco related deaths each year plus and additional 85,000 alcohol related deaths each year. This is 520,000 more deaths, on average, a year than deaths resulting from the use of Marijuana.

5. Not everybody would have to use Marijuana or buy Marijuana related products for the industry to flourish. The tobacco and alcohol industries flourish, and neither can boast 100% of American's behind them.

6. The Marijuana industry would employ at least 200,000 Americans. I know this because we have already seen this trend in the tobacco industry. (http://www.corpwatch.org...)

These are just some of my main points. I would like to thank everybody for taking the time to read this, and hopefully my opponent for accepting my challenge.
republican1021

Con

This drug should stay illegal for many reasons concerning the health and safety of Americans today.
Saying no one ever died from smoking marijuana is like saying no one ever died from smoking tobacco. Today research shows that nearly 50 percent of teenagers try marijuana before they graduate from high school. Most young teens and children start using marijuana for many reasons, they are curious, or want to fit in to a specific group of kids. Most young people who already smoke cigarettes and/or use alcohol are at higher risk for marijuana use. Most young people say they use marijuana to deal with psychological problems such as, anger, boredom, depression, anxiety, etc. As much as young people think marijuana is helping their problems, its only making things worse for their bodies and minds. When using marijuana, some users suffer acute anxiety and have paranoid thoughts, this mainly occurs with some one new to the drug or in a strange environment. In some cases, a user who has taken a very high dose of marijuana can have severe psychotic symptoms and need emergency help. Marijuana delay's the user's short term memory, which means they may have trouble handling simple or complex tasks. Due to the effects that marijuana has on the mind, the user my find themselves in a difficult situations such as they could become involved in risky sexual behavior or take part in auto crashes. When you smoke marijuana and then drive or even perform both, many of the skills required for safe driving, may be changed such as, alertness, concentration, coordination and reaction time. These effects can last up to 24 hours after smoking marijuana. Marijuana may also make it difficult to judge distances and react to signals and sounds on the road. A recent study of patients in a shock-trauma unit who had been in traffic accidents revealed that 15 percent of those who had been driving a car or motorcycle had been smoking marijuana, and another 17 percent had alcohol in they're system. Marijuana can direct the human mind to make wrong or a dangerous choice but it also can damage our bodies. The body can be damaged, just as easy as the mind loses its control over the choices it makes.
Findings so far show that the regular use of marijuana or THC may play a role in cancer and problems in the respiratory, immune system, and reproductive systems. It is hard to find out whether marijuana alone causes cancer because many people who smoke marijuana smoke cigarettes and use other drugs. Marijuana smoke contains some of the same cancer-causing compounds as tobacco, sometimes in higher concentrations. Studies have shown that five joints per week may be taking in as many cancer causing chemicals as someone who smokes a full pack of cigarettes a day. Tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke may work together to change the tissues lining the respiratory tract. Marijuana smoking could contribute to early development of head and neck cancer in some people. Cases of cancer, including cancer of the mouth, tongue, larynx, jaw, head, neck, and lungs have been reported in young marijuana smokers. Our immune system protects the body from many diseases, when marijuana is smoked it impairs the ability of T-cells in the lungs, causing someone with a disease more susceptible to other illnesses or diseases. Continued us of marijuana can lead to abnormal function of the lungs or airways. Scientists have found signs of lung tissue injured or destroyed by marijuana smoke. Marijuana and tobacco both cause many of the same breathing problems, both of them are addictive. While not everyone who uses marijuana becomes addicted, when a user begins to seek out and take the drug frequently they're known to be dependent on the drug. A withdrawal syndrome occurs, consisting of anxiety, depression, sleep and appetite disturbances, irritability, tremors, diaphoresis, nausea, muscle convulsions, and restlessness. Some serious users of marijuana show signs of dependence because when they do not use the drug, they develop withdrawal symptoms. Some users experiencing marijuana withdrawal had symptoms, such as restlessness, loss of appetite, trouble with sleeping, weight loss, and shaky hands. According to one study, marijuana use by teenagers who have prior serious antisocial problems can quickly lead to dependence on the drug. That study also found that, for troubled teenagers using tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana, progression from their first use of marijuana to regular use was about as rapid as their progression to regular tobacco use, and more rapid than the progression to regular us of alcohol. Researchers are not certain whether a newborn baby's health problems are caused by marijuana will continue as the child grows. Preliminary research shows that children born to mothers who used marijuana regularly during pregnancy may have trouble concentrating. Doctors advise pregnant women not to use any drugs because they might harm the growing fetus. Some scientific studies have found that babies born to marijuana users were shorter, weighed less, and had smaller head sizes than those born to mothers who did not use the drug. When a nursing mother uses marijuana, some of the THC is passed to the baby in her breast milk. This is a matter for concern, since the THC in the mother's milk is much more concentrated than that in the mother's blood. This along with the other information on how marijuana is harmful gives us another reason for not legalizing it. Marijuana should not be legalize for the safety of Americans and their health. Marijuana destroys the minds of many users. All parts of the body especially the immune system are damaged from marijuana. Marijuana can cause many of the same illnesses cigarettes cause. So in conclusion I believe that for the well being of the American people marijuana should stay illegal to ensure the safety of our future.
---------------------
Habakkuk 3:17-18
DylanFromSC

Pro

After reading the republican1021's argument, I've decided to run through his main points and exploit his arguments biggest flaws, though it may be rather hard considering the 2 extremely long paragraphs and poor grammar.

1. "Due to the effects that marijuana has on the mind, the user my find themselves in a difficult situations such as they could become involved in risky sexual behavior or take part in auto crashes."

The first thing that I think everybody noticed about this piece, was the poor grammar and the use of wrong words. That shouldn't matter too much anyhow, considering that anybody could take part in an auto crash. I would also like to ask the Con a question, what "risky sexual behavior" might you be referring to? If you're referring to the chance of getting an STD, this occurs in all sexual behavior, therefore calling it "risky" in relation to just the use of Marijuana is false.

2. For the second, I'm not quoting any part of the Con's argument. The Con claims that smoking Marijuana makes you less concentrated. I've never heard of anybody that's been high, and lost all concentration. He also claims that the effects of Marijuana can last up to 24 hours. Again, I've never heard of anybody that was high for 24 hours.

3. "A recent study of patients in a shock-trauma unit who had been in traffic accidents revealed that 15 percent of those who had been driving a car or motorcycle had been smoking marijuana, and another 17 percent had alcohol in they're system."

My first problem that I would like to cover, probably the only problem I will need to cover, is that this was a study of patients in a shock trauma unit at one time. A more convincing percent for you to present would be the percent of ALL fatal car crashes that are alcohol related. Since you didn't do that research, I did.. "Researchers say about 2.5% of the fatal crashes were attributable to marijuana compared with nearly 29% attributable to alcohol." - WebMD

4. "It is hard to find out whether marijuana alone causes cancer because many people who smoke marijuana smoke cigarettes and use other drugs."

This is true, and having said that, all of this, "Tobacco smoke and marijuana smoke may work together to change the tissues lining the respiratory tract. Marijuana smoking could contribute to early development of head and neck cancer in some people. Cases of cancer, including cancer of the mouth, tongue, larynx, jaw, head, neck, and lungs have been reported in young marijuana smokers." can be thrown away. Since Tobacco smoke AND Marijuana smoke may work together to change the tissues lining the respiratory tract, this is an illegitimate argument. My case is based solely upon the use of Marijuana.

5. "Continued us of marijuana can lead to abnormal function of the lungs or airways."

Continued US of Marijuana can lead to abnormal function of the lungs or airways. Well thinking back, you did say that most Marijuana users, also US tobacco. So how can we tell that the US of Marijuana is the prominent cause of the abnormal function of the lungs or airways? Last time I checked, which was at 5:14 PM today, tobacco is accused of the abnormal function of the lungs and/or airways. Actually, you said it yourself. "Marijuana and tobacco both cause many of the same breathing problems, both of them are addictive."

6. "According to one study, marijuana use by teenagers who have prior serious antisocial problems can quickly lead to dependence on the drug."

Teenagers with SERIOUS antisocial problems usually have no way of accessing the drug, because of their SERIOUS antisocial problem, obviously.

7. "Researchers are not certain whether a newborn baby's health problems are caused by marijuana will continue as the child grows."

Having said that, all of this can be treated as false, "Preliminary research shows that children born to mothers who used marijuana regularly during pregnancy may have trouble concentrating. Doctors advise pregnant women not to use any drugs because they might harm the growing fetus. Some scientific studies have found that babies born to marijuana users were shorter, weighed less, and had smaller head sizes than those born to mothers who did not use the drug. When a nursing mother uses marijuana, some of the THC is passed to the baby in her breast milk. This is a matter for concern, since the THC in the mother's milk is much more concentrated than that in the mother's blood." And the words like may and some show that the evidence is not 100% proven.

8. My last, "This along with the other information on how marijuana is harmful gives us another reason for not legalizing it. Marijuana should not be legalize for the safety of Americans and their health. Marijuana destroys the minds of many users. All parts of the body especially the immune system are damaged from marijuana. Marijuana can cause many of the same illnesses cigarettes cause. So in conclusion I believe that for the well being of the American people marijuana should stay illegal to ensure the safety of our future."

This last piece can not be trusted because of the holes in the Con's argument. The first sentence includes a segment, "This along with other information". THIS information that the Con was referring to was proved as "not proven".
republican1021

Con

republican1021 forfeited this round.
DylanFromSC

Pro

There's not much more to say. As my opponent failed to negate any of my arguments by forfeiting the round. I think he has deleted his account..
republican1021

Con

republican1021 forfeited this round.
Posted by DylanFromSC 7 years ago
DylanFromSC
He shouldn't have deleted his account either. Ha. I was looking forward to this..
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Con should have spaced out his argument a bit better.
Posted by DylanFromSC 7 years ago
DylanFromSC
Exactly..
Posted by EHS_Debate 7 years ago
EHS_Debate
All voted Pro because Con forfeited twice and had an annoying 'wall of text'.
Posted by DylanFromSC 7 years ago
DylanFromSC
Uhh. I just clicked on his account and he said it's no longer active. So I guess I just won..? Maybe he deleted it because he was about to face a loss in every debate he was involved in, all at one time. Oh well.
Posted by infam0us 7 years ago
infam0us
maybe not exactly but that's where the art of debate actually comes into play, persuading and arguing. anyway, nice job pro on taking down con's argument. just a small note of pedantry... antisocial means against society. incredibly unsocial, as you used the former word, would be the word asocial.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
Well... I said this was an easy win because Marijuana would not benefit all Americans. But Con kinda ruined it. I am in a debate with him right now.
Posted by SexyLatina 7 years ago
SexyLatina
Actually, not so lame, but still a brick of text to read and I don't like it.

However, if you snapped a shot of me right now, my foot would be inches from my mouth.

This is also, incidentally, the second double post in the last four posts that I've made.
Posted by SexyLatina 7 years ago
SexyLatina
http://www.freeessays.cc...

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

Con loses.
Posted by DylanFromSC 7 years ago
DylanFromSC
I think I have a much more convincing argument, and the Con has poor grammar. His argument wasn't the easiest to read, but I managed. Just keep this in mind when it comes time to vote. Thanks guys. ;)
Vote Placed by SexyLatina 7 years ago
SexyLatina
DylanFromSCrepublican1021Tied
Vote Placed by XimenBao 7 years ago
XimenBao
DylanFromSCrepublican1021Tied
Vote Placed by infam0us 7 years ago
infam0us
DylanFromSCrepublican1021Tied
Vote Placed by EHS_Debate 7 years ago
EHS_Debate
DylanFromSCrepublican1021Tied
Vote Placed by DylanFromSC 7 years ago
DylanFromSC
DylanFromSCrepublican1021Tied