Mangani
olle15

The legalization of Marijuana is likely to have a more favorable impact than current policy

Mangani

Pro

My premise is simple: The legalization of marijuana would have a more favorable impact on our country than the current policy.

I present the following arguments:

1. Legalization allows for better regulation, improvement of quality, reduction in street prices, and would alienate street dealers.

2. Regulation rather than criminalization provides a better medium for control of access to minors, including stiffer punishments for providers and dealers who contribute to the delinquency of minors.

3. Legalization would allow law enforcement to concentrate on hard drugs and violent crime (this includes DEA, ATF, FBI, Coast Guard, Customs, INS, and local law enforcement).

4. Legalization would provide safer environments for recreational users as well as pharmaceutical users.

5. Legalization would allow for an improved hemp industry which is currently hampered by a ban on all "cannabis" strains for fear that higher THC strains will be grown amongst the lower THC "hemp" strains.

6. Legalization and regulation would provide a bountiful source for new taxes- industrial, recreational, and medical.

7. Legalization would allow for more efficient studies which would lead to strains that can be disease specific.

8. Legalization would eat away at the monopoly pharmaceuticals have on harder prescription drugs that are actually less effective and more harmful than marijuana when used to treat certain diseases, ie. Fentanyl (a form of morphine) vs. MJ for fibromaelgia, scoliosis, and other painful diseases; Xanax vs. MJ for anxiety; Purcocet (another opioid like Fentanyl and often used in conjuntcion with), Vicodin, and others vs. MJ for pain.

9. Legalization would allow for lower pharmaceutical prices making it easier for patients to medicate and justify the expense which is sometimes smoked up by non-patient family members (like any other pharmaceutical).

10. Legalization would free up about 60,000 jail cells reserved annually for non-violent recreational users of marijuana.

I await my opponent's response...
olle15

Con

I completely forgot about this debate and left state for the weekend due to lack of time I can't make a good first round and will just have to address both rounds one and two in round two. (sorry)
Mangani

Pro

Because my opponent forfeited round 1, it is difficult for me to make an argument for round two. You can take round 2 to answer to my round 1 comments.
olle15

Con

First off I would like to thank my opponent for not only starting this debate but for not taking advantage of a bad situation. First I will analyze your argument.

1.How would lower street prices help? That means people will still go for the more dangerous version on the streets because it's cheaper dealers would not decrease they would increase. It's just like a bootleg DVD the quality may not be as good but it's cheaper.

2.We supposedly regulate alcohol and give stiff punishment to those who give alcohol to minors but it doesn't seem to be stopping minors from getting it how would this be any different?

3.Marijuana is just as much a harmful drug as all the others. A drug that affects your dopamine levels so that you're always content on how things are no matter how bad things are or how sick you are seems pretty dangerous to me. (I'll get into the deeper effects later.)

4.There is no such thing as a safe environment when it comes to weed. If you get hooked it's over and if you have legal access to if you might as well give up your house and family now because if you're always happy and content you won't care about going to work, you won't care about what's going on in the family and you won't care about life because you'll be to busy being happy.

5.I'm skipping your fifth argument the ban is perfect but I don't feel like elaborating.

6.Who's going to do the regulation and taxes when there all high.

7. One although weed is illegal for use it has not hampered studies of this and other now banned drugs for future pharmaceutical use, and two the only thing this drug can be used for in medicine is for pain relief and should still be used only in the worst of the worst situations.

8.There are lots of different options out there that aren't pharmaceutical all of the little herbs, spices, and snake oils which have been proven to work and aren't illegal. And even though the drugs you have listed do have their problems so does weed. I mean at least those don't make you think the sky is purple down is up and that signs are staring at you.

9.That is an over exaggeration most prescription medicine is not shared with the family partially because of the cost and partially because with medicine what makes one better makes another sick that's just how it works for the most part the only things that are shared are weak painkillers and allergy medicine.

10.Yes it would free up 60,000 jail cells but fill many more hospital beds and graves because even though it's almost impossible to overdose the weed can still hurt you and others indirectly for example:

•Any person with a touch of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder would wig out whether they smoked the weed or inhaled the second hand smoke because of their chemical imbalance and the dopamine inducing effect of the drug. And since some of them are violent this could end badly for them and those around them and don't for get about all the other mental disorders that go undiagnosed and untreated.
•It get's rid of stress and though that may sound good think about it what keeps you going? Being relaxed without a care in the world, No STRESS DOES!! If we lost all stress nothing would get done and that includes the things needed to keep the house and feed yourself you cold starve your self to death and never know. That is dangerous probably the most dangerous side effect there is.
•Lack of judgment can lead to accidents in the workplace, at home, and on the streets and highways and some will be deadly.

Marijuana is a horrible drug all it does is warp the reality off the user and hides the real world from them if we legalize this drug kiss what remains of the U.S.A goodbye we don't know the meaning of restraint so making marijuana legal is like inviting anyone who wants to destroy us to come on because we're defenseless and if they don't get us our lack of will to work will crash our economy.
Mangani

Pro

First of all, let me state that my opponent's arguments are not scientifically sound, and are more in tune with the "Reefer Madness" myths. I will dispell some of these myths (with scientific, experiencial, and testimonial evidence). Furhtermore, you are not debating, rather asking me to educate you on the issue (which isn't a bad thing), but you shouldn't be opposed to something without doing the proper research. Let me attack each point specifically, as I am not a good debater and this seems to be my best method:

"How would lower street prices help?"

-Lower street prices would make the dealers less competative. They would be forced to seek legal means of growth and distribution. Most are already WILLING to distribute legally, but are not allowed to. Legal grow houses would allow for regulation of safer growing environments (not that they're unsafe, rather from law enforcement) which would provide LEGAL income to those employed, as well as taking them out of the "underground" where they currently stand for the most part. Given the controlled quality of legal marijuana, many street dealers have already lost competitiveness, and users are for the most part aquiring marijuana (in California for instance) through dispensiaries.

"That means people will still go for the more dangerous version on the streets because it's cheaper dealers would not decrease they would increase."

-Prices would fall over all. Not only that, but the majority of users are about quality and would rather pay more for less good quality, than less for low quality which has more undesired side-effects like tiredness which is not the result of THC, rather other cannabinoids found in marijuana.

"It's just like a bootleg DVD the quality may not be as good but it's cheaper."

-Many people who watch bootlegs are after the "experience" of the movie, not the byproducts associated with marketing the movie like sound, visual effects, etc. If they ARE after that they go to the movies, by an entertainment system, by the DVD, etc. These are people who are concerned about quality (as the majority of users).

"We supposedly regulate alcohol and give stiff punishment to those who give alcohol to minors but it doesn't seem to be stopping minors from getting it how would this be any different?"

-You can't "stop" minors from getting ANYTHING, you can only try to control, reduce, and educate. Regardless of whether or not stiffer laws have "stopped" minors from getting alcohol or tobacco or not, there has been a reduction in minor use(http://www.cdc.gov... http://www.cdc.gov...).

"Marijuana is just as much a harmful drug as all the others."

-Not true. (http://www.drugwarfacts.org...) Though marijuana has probably a 10,000 plus year history, there is not one documented death attributed to marijuana use.

"A drug that affects your dopamine levels so that you're always content on how things are no matter how bad things are or how sick you are seems pretty dangerous to me."

-You're right, but marijuana does not have that effect, and YOU have the burden of proving this claim (since you made the claim).

"There is no such thing as a safe environment when it comes to weed."

-Home is the safest environment possible.

"If you get hooked it's over and if you have legal access to if you might as well give up your house and family now because if you're always happy and content you won't care about going to work, you won't care about what's going on in the family and you won't care about life because you'll be to busy being happy."

-No offense, but this is a very ridiculous claim. Let me give you a list of very wealthy marijuana users who have not "given up their house, family, etc." because they're "always happy": Woody Harrelson, Willie Nelson (who recently persuaded Bush to endorse research), Montel Williams (an ardent medical use advocate and user), George Clooney, Snoop Dogg, Jennifer Anniston, Larry Hagman, Stephen King, Bruce Willis, Oliver Stone, Aaron Carter, Madonna, Richard Branson (the BILLIONAIRE), Johnny Depp, Prince Charles (yes, THE Prince Charles), George Washington Carver, Brad Pitt, John Sinclair, Jack Nicholson, Arnold Scwarzenneger, etc. etc. etc.- O, Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, and many others!

"Who's going to do the regulation and taxes when there all high."

-The United States Department of Agriculture.

"the only thing this drug can be used for in medicine is for pain relief and should still be used only in the worst of the worst situations."

-Not true. Scientific data indicate the potential therapeutic value of cannabinoid drugs, primarily THC, for pain relief, control of nausea and vomiting, and appetite stimulation. The psychological effects of cannabinoids, such as anxiety reduction, sedation, and euphoria can influence their potential therapeutic value. Those effects are potentially undesirable for certain patients and situations and beneficial for others.

"I mean at least those don't make you think the sky is purple down is up and that signs are staring at you."

-Marijuana doesn't do this. You can, however, loose all inhibitions when using alcohol and "blackout" to the point where the next day you don't even remember what you did. Other drugs have a similar effect. Marijuana does not.

"That is an over exaggeration most prescription medicine is not shared with the family"

-I didn't mean "shared". (http://www.mediacampaign.org...) This file shows how prescription drug use by children 12-20 is as prevalent, if not more, than marijuana use in the same age range. Where are they getting those drugs? On top of that (as referenced earlier), prescription drugs are as much as 30,000 times more dangerous than marijuana.

"Yes it would free up 60,000 jail cells but fill many more hospital beds and graves because even though it's almost impossible to overdose the weed can still hurt you and others"

-I have shown statistics proving marijuana is nowhere near as dangerous as you paint it...

"Any person with a touch of schizophrenia or bipolar disorder would wig out whether they smoked the weed or inhaled the second hand smoke because of their chemical imbalance and the dopamine inducing effect of the drug. And since some of them are violent this could end badly for them and those around them and don't for get about all the other mental disorders that go undiagnosed and untreated."

-I read that study and you are misquoting it, however, since you brought it up it is your burden to prove your statements. You didn't read the study, you are quoting media hype over a recent study. The media hype ignored certain factors within the study... like the fact that all those studied were schizophrenic! It did not compare the effects in SANE individuals. Bipolar Disorder is one of the diseases for which marijuana is mostly prescribed... so unless you are an MD challenging the word of thousands of other American MD's, then you are just simply wrong.

"If we lost all stress nothing would get done and that includes the things needed to keep the house and feed yourself you cold starve your self to death and never know. That is dangerous probably the most dangerous side effect there is."

-My friend, you are very misinformed on the effects of marijuana. This is tantamount to me arguing that the moon is made of cheese because I was told it was. It's true- many lazy people use marijuana, but that is not to say marijuana users are lazy. If they were all lazy then the percentage of users wouldn't go up with education. High Times and countless other magazines wouldn't be published continuously on time. Rappers, like 50 Cent, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, etc., wouldn't be able to perform upwards of 150 days per year (sometimes 75 days out of 90 days of summer... I know, I'm a recording artist). Ran out of room
olle15

Con

olle15 forfeited this round.
Posted by Ownsdreams 9 years ago
Ownsdreams
I agree with legalization of marijuana. But I think this topic should be argued over with two equal debaters.
Posted by Mangani 9 years ago
Mangani
Random Man, you make no sense. Addiction is physical chemical dependence- something that does not occur with marijuana. Though there are many cannabinoids naturally present in our bodies, and thus cannaboid receptors, they do not produce dependence on cannabinoids. Even a newborn monther's breastmilk has cannabinoids (small traces of THC) which stimulate the newborn's appetite. These are only small traces in the first few gulps of breastmilk, but they are there nonetheless.

There is an argument that marijuana users are "emotionally" dependent, but I don't think the argument that someone "wants" to use something means they are emotionally addicted- that's an unfair argument attributed only to marijuana.

There are no studies showing chemical dependence, and studies that state that emotionally dependent users experience "withdrawals" are inconclusive. Personal experience tells me that most people who become emotionally dependent LIKE the calming effects it has on their naturally overactive, overagressive, or attention deficit personalities, and the "withdrawal" symptoms are the person just returning to normal.
Posted by Random_Man 9 years ago
Random_Man
Using it and getting hooked are two different things. Since they discontinued use they aren't hooked thus it's not over.

Scratch the last comment.
Posted by Random_Man 9 years ago
Random_Man
Using it and getting hooked are two different things. Since they discontinued use they aren't hooked hence it's not over.
Posted by Kane 9 years ago
Kane
I have to protest the statement "If you get hooked it's over" Marijuana is not physically addictive.

According to a 1993 report by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services in 1993, "Among Americans age 12 and over, about 34% had used marijuana sometime in their life, but only 9% had used it in the past year, 4.3% in the past month, and 2.8% in the past week.
A longitudinal study of young adults who had first been surveyed in high school also found a high 'discontinuation rate' for marijuana. While 77% had used the drug, 74% of those had not used in the past year and 84% had not used in the past month."

If you are going to make claims do some research first.
Posted by Mangani 9 years ago
Mangani
"Lack of judgment can lead to accidents in the workplace, at home, and on the streets and highways and some will be deadly."

-Another myth. Marjuana use in the workplace is banned, and would remain as such (you can't drink at work either). Most users are already "at home", "on the streets", and "on the highways". Legalization would provide for better regulation and safer use environments which would take it off the street for the most part.

"Marijuana is a horrible drug all it does is warp the reality off the user and hides the real world from them if we legalize this drug kiss what remains of the U.S.A goodbye we don't know the meaning of restraint so making marijuana legal is like inviting anyone who wants to destroy us to come on because we're defenseless and if they don't get us our lack of will to work will crash our economy."

-This is an appeal to emotion, not to scientific evidence. This is a scare tactic, and deserves no response other than a "shame on you" and a wagging finger.
Posted by notpolicydebategod 9 years ago
notpolicydebategod
So far, Mangani you've got my vote. I don't know what any bloke would say to this. It's only logical.
Vote Placed by NYCDiesel 7 years ago
NYCDiesel
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by Xer 7 years ago
Xer
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by MrHardRock 7 years ago
MrHardRock
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by Mangani 9 years ago
Mangani
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by Ownsdreams 9 years ago
Ownsdreams
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by b3rk 9 years ago
b3rk
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by Oolon_Colluphid 9 years ago
Oolon_Colluphid
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by WeaponE 9 years ago
WeaponE
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by mattresses 9 years ago
mattresses
Manganiolle15Tied
Vote Placed by Kane 9 years ago
Kane
Manganiolle15Tied