TheBajanConnection
criticalmass

The legalization of assisted suicide.

TheBajanConnection

TheBajanConnection

Pro

I am a pro for the argument, let us define the point.
(1) Assisted suicide is defined as:
The suicide of a patient suffering from an incurable disease, effected by the taking of lethal drugs provided by a doctor for this purpose.
Round one will be accepting the debate
Round two will be building the arguments. No rebuttals.
Round three will rebuttal . No new evidence will be brought to the table at this phase. Confront each other
criticalmass

Con

TheBajanConnection

Pro

I thank my opponent and wish him the best of luck. Allow me to begin with my main points and arguments:
1. It is ones right to choose how and when to die if they so wish.
2. Tremendous amounts of pain and suffering can be saved.
3. Health care costs can be reduced, which would save estates and lower insurance premiums.
4. Vital organs can be saved, helping doctors save more lives.
5. This can result in an easier experience for the families of the patient, letting them say goodbye.
6. This will NOT give doctors the right to kill people. It gives the patient the choice to end their suffering and pain.

(1) We as a people have always wanted to give people the right to do as they please with their body. This is a act which will give a person a humane choice. Let them know that they can do as they wish. If it's their body, it should be legal to do as they wish to it.
(2) This is a moral act and many people would agree too. If a person is in immense emotional and physical pain, shouldn't they have the option to end their own suffering with out any legal repercussion? I'd like to bring in pets right now. When a pet is in a lot of terminal pain, nearly all people will take it to the vet to have it die in a quick painless and humane way. So we have to ask, why aren't we okay for humans to give themselves this?
(3) Health care can be greatly reduced by this inexpensive humane treatment. to continue treatment for a terminal illness can cost thousands of dollars to fighting a illness that is incurable. This will make it easier to pay for and easier financially for the family.
(4)Destructive cancers that will destroy organs can be stopped and the organs can be saved to use on other patients in this procedure is used, potentially saving lives.
(5)This can result in a easier emotional experience for the family of the patient. This will let them say a formal goodbye, and will let them feel as if their family member is no longer suffering and is going to be happier when they die.
(6)This will defiantly NOT give doctors the right to kill people. This will be the patients decision (if they are in sound mind) or in the decision of the family. Just like the right to pull the plug. If an individual is not given proper treatment, an attorney will be called upon.
Finally, I encourage my adversary to watch this documentary in full.
Please look up on YouTube.com Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die (2011) - Full Documentary.

Conclusion: I believe this is an easy topic to support for reasons I have stated and for the documentary I have linked. I now await my adversary to take the stand.
criticalmass

Con

You make a very compelling argument my friend but to counter your argument I pose a logical question and that is why do people willing to turn to assisted suicide need assistance in the first place why are they not just commiting suicide on their own? Suicide is usually a result of depression and we spend quite a significant amount of money on anti depressant medication studies and support groups for those considering suicide so how is it ok to publicly support one groups desire for suicide and even assist it but be against another groups desire of the same end and send them to mental institutions if they fail at accomplishing their task. suicide has been labeled a permanent solution to a temporary problem and I understand the dilemma when it comes to someone with a terminal illness but that is why we have hospices, both in home hospices and hospice facilities that can ease the pain that comes near the end of a terminal illness and in a hospice no one commits suicide and no one assists in its application. I did watch a portion of the video you recommended but was immediately taken back when it was stated that the man in the focal point of the documentary suffered from alzhiemers which meant that his cognitive functions were not at the peak of performance and thus if he were to commit suicide an autopsy report would indicate that he suffered from mental illness and committed suicide so wouldn't it also be against a doctors sworn code of ethics to assist a mentally ill patient to do harm to himself or others. in conclusion I take the stance against legalized assisted suicide for all of the above reasons and while we cant stop someone from committing suicide on their own accord it would be irresponsible, even criminally negligent to assist in such an action.
TheBajanConnection

Pro

I thank my adversary for his reply, and I will gladly respond to him. Before I begin my counter arguments I must inform con that he is missing the point of the debate. Phase 2 was just making your main points with no rebuttals to me, which con has failed to do. I will now begin with cons first argument.
(1)"that is why do people willing to turn to assisted suicide need assistance in the first place why are they not just commiting suicide on their own? "
I have stated in the definition of assisted suicide it is "The suicide of a patient suffering from an incurable disease, effected by the taking of lethal drugs provided by a doctor for this purpose."
The reason that these people are going to assisted suicide can be for only physical health reasons. Plus, as I've stated, this will be easier for the families of the patient; this will stop people from committing suicide in a gruesome way and will have a formal way for the family saying good bye.
(2)" Suicide is usually a result of depression and we spend quite a significant amount of money on anti depressant medication studies and support groups for those considering suicide so how is it ok to publicly support one groups desire for suicide and even assist it but be against another groups desire of the same end and send them to mental institutions if they fail at accomplishing their task?"
I've already instated that this is only for people that have an incurable disease in which they are suffering from. This is not for people that are emotionally depressed and want to commit suicide.
(3)"suicide has been labeled a permanent solution to a temporary problem and I understand the dilemma when it comes to someone with a terminal illness but that is why we have hospices, both in home hospices and hospice facilities that can ease the pain that comes near the end of a terminal illness and in a hospice no one commits suicide and no one assists in its application."
Someone is put in a hospice when it is time for them to die. That means that the illness has took it's coarse and has most likely caused significant amounts of pain and suffering to this individual both emotionally and physically. It is not right to outlaw something that the patient wants to do.
(4)"I did watch a portion of the video you recommended but was immediately taken back when it was stated that the man in the focal point of the documentary suffered from alzhiemers which meant that his cognitive functions were not at the peak of performance and thus if he were to commit suicide an autopsy report would indicate that he suffered from mental illness and committed suicide so wouldn't it also be against a doctors sworn code of ethics to assist a mentally ill patient to do harm to himself or others."
I'm going to be as brief as possible and say that you should watch the entire video instead of making bleak assumptions.
I now leave this to my adversary and the voters. Vote accordingly and may the best man win! I hand the stand back to my adversary.
criticalmass

Con

Very well said, I thank my opponent for the articulate response and i apologize for my premature rebuttal at the beginning of my points in round 2. i will now offer my responses to your argument.
1) I have stated in the definition of assisted suicide it is "The suicide of a patient suffering from an incurable disease, effected by the taking of lethal drugs provided by a doctor for this purpose."
Only 3% of patients seeking physician assisted suicide cited pain as the sole factor for their decision. I do not presume that all suicides are gruesome as it is very easy to commit suicide without bloodshed. the fourth most common way in which individuals commit suicide is by using cyanide capsules which can be easily bought over the internet, if the person is of sound mind then a simple web search should yield sufficient results to obtain the desired results. As for the formal goodbye to their family if they plan to commit suicide with reasonable research and experience no more pain in the process then the goodbyes should be no less formal.
2)I've already instated that this is only for people that have an incurable disease in which they are suffering from. This is not for people that are emotionally depressed and want to commit suicide.
Incurable terminable diseases will unfortunately almost always result in death from that disease however If only 3% of patients are citing pain as the sole reason then the other 97% of people are citing reasons which stem from emotional stress and depression, in fact 51% of those seeking assisted suicide didn't cite pain at all. Any individual seeking assisted suicide should talk about it with their physicians and be treated for any problems that are causing these feelings either through medication, therapy or both but not assisted in dying.
3)Someone is put in a hospice when it is time for them to die. That means that the illness has took it's coarse and has most likely caused significant amounts of pain and suffering to this individual both emotionally and physically. It is not right to outlaw something that the patient wants to do.
People with special circumstances can request hospice care if they are terminally ill in order to manage their disease. I will agree that it is not right to outlaw something that the patient wants to do, however it is right to outlaw the assistance from a physician to contribute to the death of a patient regardless of circumstances
4)I'm going to be as brief as possible and say that you should watch the entire video instead of making bleak assumptions.
I may watch the entire video at a later time however after watching the portion which I did I must say it failed to garner my attention and did not compel me to change my stance on the topic. I would however like to thank my opponent for a very high minded debate and leave the rest up to the voters
Vote Placed by countzander 3 years ago
countzander
TheBajanConnectioncriticalmassTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments were better. Con's main argument was "Hm, I don't like the sound off that."