The majority of Rap and the entirety of Death Metal is not music. Pro=True, Con=False.

Started: 12/8/2012 Category: Arts

Rap is a... interesting brand of music, if you can call it that. It supposedly is a branch of hip-hop, but original rap was very innocent. Nowadays, you're more likely to vomit listening to it. The sheer amount of profanity and the degradation of women is an absolute atrocity.

I'm not saying it's all bad, I happen to like a few Rap songs:

Mr. Lonely by Akon
Don't Matter by Akon
Mr. Postman by Lil Wayne
So Sick by Ne-Yo
These songs I enjoy because there is extremely little (if any) profanity in them, and they teach, with the exception of Mr. Postman, life lessons. There is no "bitches", no "hoes", no "nigga/nigger", no "bust a cap", nothing in these songs but lax music and deep issues. Teach kids how to cope with difficult situations. Life, love, things like this. But 95% on my experience and the experience of others, it is the most disgusting garbage being said extremely quickly, this is essentially trying to be the "toughest", the "most gangster", when really, it just makes these individuals seem like the biggest tools.

Death Metal. Where to begin. Well, let me just say my biggest issue. Death Metal is always, literally, always in where a "singer" screams as loud as human(or inhuman)ly possible and somehow this passes as a music. We don't call white noise music, so the same thing with Death Metal, we do? Not to mention, Death Metal is violent in every song I have ever heard, every artist is acting satanic, chaotic, and overall unpleasant. To me, this is a very heated argument, not a music form.

I love rap. I don't mind metal, I love it when angry.

Why is it not music? Let's observe your justification...

1. Profanity

Well f*ck you f*ckin w*nker. Swear words help emphasise points. They are just words and music is all about freedom of expression.

2. Excuse me but much of rap is deep. What is shallow about sex? Seriously it is one of the most fundamental thing sin life. almost all music is about emotion and what is number one? Love... between a man and a woman and what is that to do with? Heterosexual lust. It's just sugarcoated in all other than rap. If anythign this generic pop sh*t that is replacing rap is bullsh*t I'd rather listen to the most horny shallow Snoop Dogg rap than bloody dubstep!

3. Just because you think it's garbage is grounds to hate it? Self-centred idiot who doens't understand that in art, it is in eye of the beholder (or ear in this case).

4. Your attack on metal is that it is screaming but this is the nature o metal music, so what? You don't like it? YOUR PROBLEM NOT METAL's! IDIOT!

Time to explain why I love both.

Rap is amazing. It is my favourite form of vocal music. IT is about expressing and rhyming and is so hard to do that very few can. With very few females in the genre who (like Nicki Minaj) happen to talk about dirty things too. The only difference is this: When men do it, it's wrong. Idiot. Just think what you're saying. EVERYONE IS DIRTY MINDED (unless asexual) what is so wrong with being open about it ART AND MUSIC ARE ALL ABOUt FREEDOM OF F*CKING EXPRESSION!

Metal is also amazing because it expresses rae in its purest form. :)

Dude revise what art is and comebackyou judgemental mainstream lilwayne loving piece of sh*t.

oh dear I swore look at me I MUST BE HATED! OH MY LORDY LORD! haha f*cking pu55y.

Revise the purepose of art and reply to this b*tch.

Now for a freestyle:

You be stupid,
I don't think cupid,
Will hit you boy, you ugly,
Evne if you have money and held up a sign saying "f*ck me"
No chick, would toch that d*ck,
When they see that tiny piece of sh*t,
They be puking it makes them sick.

Whatever man jsut shut up. You are entitled to hate stuff but how dare you diss rap and metal?! IDIOT!

(It would appear these debates are not comprised of people who wish to discuss the issue at hand, but to be the biggest scumbag possible, based on the response I received.)

Every other musical form has some sort of inspiration behind it. The Blues are about hardship, Country is about a wide range of things, mostly morally-aligned issues, life and love, Jazz was devised to get you off your feet, dancing, and into a good mood, much like Swing. I've yet to see what Rap has represented other than self-glorification in the worst possible ways, as much of it has the effect of literally admitting one is a criminal. So, this is a form of "music" which amounts to Aiding and Abetting criminal activity. Hmm.

Much of a Rap song has virtually nothing in the way of lyrics, instead, words are used immediately after one another so long as they rhyme, there is no sense or reason. The fundamental difference between music, sound, and speech, is that music has speech synchronized with the instruments in every way but physically, music has reason, speech can either have reason or not, and sound is simply auditory. When you have a whole different language involved in Rap, which no nationality or race speaks to communicate with, how can there possibly be reason, and there cannot be reason when structure of the lyrics is replaced with tandem words as long as they rhyme. Therefore, it is not a music form, it is a form of speech with sounds thrown in. Rap is a lot like a poem. Neither has to make sense and not all of them become songs.

Death Metal is clearly, undeniably sound that is so overwhelmingly high in decibel as to become impossible to understand. There are no lyrics. What there is, is words being voiced in such a way as to relieve anger and break the sound barrier. The only thing separating Death Metal from other forms of Metal and other forms of actual music is the screaming. You can find the same music, not the same inclination to rupture an eardrum. Many musicians are famous for screaming. But not to make up a song entirely consistent of it.

Now let me teach my friend here how profanity doesn't make a meaningful retort.

"Now it's just you and me, just judging by what I see, boy needs surgery, re-position his butt cheeks back in the rear seat, cause obviously they're in the wrong place when he raps, son didn't mama ever tell you you don't use your face to crap?

He can try to aggravate me, ain't gonna work for an insignificant flea, boy got an "art form" that makes me have heartburn, I've got a deck of 52 and they're all in spades, he don't seem to realize he's gonna get played, he says I don't get his style, you're friggin' right, you call yourself "tight" when you're loose as a jellyfish, make a wish cause I'm about to win this fight like Rapper's Delight, I think I'm dealing with a child who may be senile, not in his right mind.

You're outsmarted, outclassed, I'm about to beat your ***, I do it to wannabe punks all the time, my net worth is diamonds in rhyme while yours is measured in pennies and dimes, it's about time I laid down the line, let's go buddy I don't hear you say nothing, what's your trade school fool, you a part-time mime?"

Did you just say... Wait did you jsut seriously mention the idea that... Holy sh*t you are going down if you really think that "Much of a Rap song has virtually nothing in the way of lyrics" and "here cannot be reason when structure of the lyrics is replaced with tandem words as long as they rhyme." HAHAHAHAHA OH MY LORD DO you know what the heck POETRY is about?!

YOUR RAP at the last two paragraphs SHOW THAT YOU think rap has lyrical value what a f*cking GENIIIIIIIIIIIIUUUUUUUUSSSSS?!

Okay my friend, let me take you through rap's history since you totally conceded any attack on death metal. The fact that they choose to deliver their message in a manner which you happen to be too pu55y to appreciate due to OMG TOO HIGH DECIBEL COUNT is not sufficient to term the "entirety of Death Metal" as a non music-form.

The fact that you didn't even bother to go use google and read the site me a lot about how much effort you put into researching around a topic before forming such an idiotic opinion on it.

"More than a century before rap exploded o­nto the American music scene, West African musicians were telling stories rhythmically, with just the beat of a drum for accompaniment. Meanwhile, folk artists from the Caribbean Islands were also telling stories in rhyme. Indeed, these singing poets from Africa and the Caribbean lay the foundation for modern-day American rap music.

Rapping essentially involves the speaking or chanting of rhyming lyrics, often set to a beat. The rhyming created by rappers is considered by many to be o­ne of the most sophisticated styles of poetry. What’s more, these rhymes often address provocative subjects such as sex, violence and socio-political issues.

Rapping first gained popularity in the U.S. in the 1970s as a kind of street art, especially among African American teenagers. But it wasn’t until 1979, when the Sugarhill Gang released their breakaway hit, ‘Rapper’s Delight, that record producers took notice of this emerging musical genre. o­nce they did, numerous rap acts, including Run-DMC and N.W.A., surfaced, and rap’s audience began to swell. It wasn’t just African American male rappers getting in o­n the act, either: By the 1980s, white rap bands such as the Beastie Boys and female rap bands such as Salt-n-Pepa were reaching the top of the charts.

By the 1990s, rap matured from an old-school-style – which was based o­n relatively simple lyrics – to a new-school-style, which was louder and included more complex lyrics. Artists such as The Notorious B.I.G., Snoop Dogg and Tupac ruled the charts during this time, as did Eminem – o­ne of the most popular white rappers of all time.

Rap has stood the test of time and its popularity rages o­n with today’s artists such as 50 Cent, Ludacris and Jay-Z churning out hit after thought-provoking hit. The beat truly does go o­n."

I'm not much of a fan of Jay-Z so the last line ain't my thing but sir the history of rap was that of the urge to be poetic about topics that are tabbo and forbidden in toher forms of musical expression. I love sex, porn, money, women and want to hear other's views on it. Additionally, I love rappers like Hopsin, Eminem and Yupac who address internal stuggles insuch a poetic manner as I myself am a semi-pro poet in real life.

Time to just tear your sh*t apart with this comback rap.

Yo listen up Tes95,
I'm about to take your life,
Take your future, ugly, Jewish wife,
And increase the negativity of both to the power of five.

The kinsa music you ito is country and alternative,
You a religious, sel-proclaimed Good Samaritan, Independent conservative,
You wanna hear rap? Here's a rape for you,
It makes your look like it was written by a monkey in a zoo,
With only a quarter of my IQ,
It's why I hate wannabes like you,
Who "Hate rap",
Yet can't rap for sh*t,
You're so crap,
Even Justin Bieber ain't impressed by it,
It's like i'm a centenarian, you just a kid,
Oh sh*t lok what just done d-d-d-did.

My lines flow nice,
Like sugar and spice,
ANd all things that motherf*cking nice,
OMG I just made the powerpuff girls,
Time to flip the switch on your internal world,
I'm a ninja this debate is my f*cking dojo,
I run the powerpuff girls and you're Mojo-jojo,;
I'm Satan, so evil on a whole new level,
I tear you down like you a bad boy and I'm the devil,
Your life is a song and I am both the bass and the treble,
I make your life nice or so unbearable.

Yo look my lines,
Flow so damn easy,
So sick it must make you queasy,
So tight you must feel so lame,
This is why I'm a part of this devlish rap game...
B*tch I jut tore you apart form the moment I mentioned your name.

You oppose gay marriage,
So dumb shudda been a miscarriage.
That's all for now you b*tch,
But I will return like you a wizard and I'm yo' witch,
No I'm not yo' b*tch I'm your domineering figure,
You got that you wannabe N*gga?
Of course you too dumb,
I just put a strap-on on and f*ck you up the bum...

I'm a guy anywa,
So the fact that that turned you on makes you gay,
That's all for now have a nice f*cking day.

Even rappers themselves admit rap has gone down the drain. The idea that it is a musical form, may have indeed been true, at one point in time. Also, I assume my opponent did not read the title where I have clearly stated "The majority of Rap", so I will not be changing the debate topic to "I think all rap is not music" as he evidently believes. My round is finished, I leave it to my opponent to counter my statement and explain how the majority of rap and the entirety of Death Metal is not music. I have made my case as to how I see it, he must now answer how I am false, preferably with actual facts, and not simple insults or attributing it to me just not enjoying the music. The floor is his.

Rap has rhythm, melody and lyrically it is superior to all other forms of music BECAUSE it prefers to speak as opposed to sing showing how LYRICALLY valued it is, not melodically as much. Just because the swearing and topics of the majority of rap happen to offend you and your Jewish view on life is not at all warrant for termign it non musical. Try going to a ghetto and seeing people chant it, dance to it, that sh*t keeps them going in such a poor state, reminds them of the few joys they have wihtout money; sex, drugs and the dream of getting rich. You have no at all disputed this point which I have made about it only being termed 'not music' by you because it happens to offend your personal view on life.

Death Metal is rage. If you are not an angry person you can't really appreciate it but how dare you disregard it at music? All death metal drummers, guitarists and singers have to train YEARS to even begin being that fast and brutal, it hurts physically to be that lous, fast ont he strings or hard on the drums it's why metal players are always muscular. Thanks and goodnight using subjective taste to tear apart other's subjective taste is like fighting fire with fire.

Posted by baylorj 3 years ago
So, because there is screaming in a song, it's not music? I completely disagree with that statement. People said the same thing about guitars when distortion for the instrument was being used widely in forms of music that younger generations began listening to in the later 50's/early 60's.

Why is it not the same concept as distortion?
Posted by Citrakayah 3 years ago

Tes lost to /RationalMadman/?
Posted by morgan2252 3 years ago
One last question to both of the debaters...

How did you get the videos into your argument? I'm doing a debate on the Electoral College and there's an awesome video on Youtube that I want to embed. However, the only thing I can do is give a link to the website. Can you help?

I'm always looking for a good debate. Whenever I'm viewing other debates, it seems you're on the side I disagree with. If there's ever an issue you need to debate, I'll probably be on the opposing side. You know who to challenge...
Posted by morgan2252 3 years ago
No offense guys, but I would change up your arguments a lot. For example, Pro says, "Therefore, it is not a music form, it is a form of speech with sounds thrown in. Rap is a lot like a poem. Neither has to make sense and not all of them become songs." However, he is forgetting that all literature can be divided into 2 categories: poetry and prose. Poetry has rythm to the words, while prose does not. Since both music and rap have rythm, they would both be forms of poetry.

As for Con, he puts WAY too much emotion into his argument. It really distracts you from the point. And on top of it all, no one has any sources or evidence to back up their argument.

Please don't take this the wrong way; just think of it as constructive criticism.
Posted by Heineken 3 years ago
Hi buddy:

HOT SELL Pictures of your mother:====(
nobody, likes you, go kill, yourself, because, the Mexican, who sells, bootleg DVDs, on a blanket, behind Walmart, has a better, buisness, model, than you.

Crappy Jeans with mysterious scent: $9
Asian Flu contaminated Baseball Cap: $12
ValueMart Sneakers with a black marker Nike swoop: $33
Wrist watch from a dead homeless guy: $13
Handbags with hidden, lightly used Heroin needle: $18
Bikini with rust colored stains: $22

Come back tomorrow for another Daily Dose of ripoffs! Bookmark this page >>
give you the unexpected harvest of unidentified blood diseases

Recommended dick
Name: Slim Jim
Posted by RationalMadman 3 years ago
=.= omg
Posted by emj32 3 years ago
Lol Madman, that was one of the worst freestyle's I've ever seen :). Otherwise, you're easily winning this debate
Posted by Tes95 3 years ago
Regardless, we have trash today, not a musical form.
Posted by AustinLam 3 years ago
Rap started being bad when tupac and biggy died.
Vote Placed by drafterman 3 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: While pro made many points regarding why rap and metal is *bad* music, he didn't really show how it isn't music at all.