Zarroette
AK24

The majority of people should produce their own methane

Zarroette

Zarroette

Pro

Heeeeyyyyyyyyyy xD You can consider me a very passionate believer in the right for people to do what they want with their bodies!!! Drugs don’t kill people, people being irresponsible with drugs kill people!!!! My body, my choice! I’ve never argued this before, so don’t be too hard on me, okay? LOL >.< I have a right to my opinion, as do you!!! Besides, all my friends agree with me on this, so :p
AK24

Con

I agree to debating with you Zarroette, may the best win.

Just to clarify, in the question, are you asking whether or not people should produce methamphetamine (not methane), an illegal(*1) drug in the US? I think you are talking about methamphetamine since you mentioned drugs in your first round.

Now that the clarifying question is out of the way I will start my counter-argument. To start, drug abuse does kill people, however medical use of certain drugs does have many positive affects on the body. But, no drug is perfect. According to the FDA's website, more than 40 drug recalls happened just last year(*2). 40 is not a large number, but the amount of people the recalls affect is substantial.
You are correct when you said irresponsible people with drugs kill people, but remember 126 million Americans were exposed to second-hand smoke in 2006. As stated by the CDC, "Second-hand smoke causes heart disease and lung cancer in nonsmoking adults and a number of health conditions, including sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) and respiratory infections, in children."(*3)

Here I end my first round, short, but I would like to see my clarifying questions answered first.

(*1) Unless of course you are referring to Medical use of the drug
(*2) from http://www.fda.gov...
(*3) from http://www.cdc.gov...
Zarroette

Pro

I thank AK24 for accepting this debate.

It is a well known fact that humans produce methane, but allow me to show you why it is the case. Firstly, let me offer some reasonable definitions, all taken from trusted and well-known dictionaries.

Definitions:

methane [1]

An odorless, colorless, flammable gas, CH4

produce [5]

cause (a particular result or situation) to happen or exist.

people [6]

humans considered as a group or in indefinite numbers

human (the singular of people) [7]

of, relating to, or characteristic of humans

A1: Methane is produced naturally by humans

In their research, Suarez, Furne, Springfield and Levitt (1997) discuss how methane is produced in the gut, specifically in relation to how flatulence occurs [2]. More specifically, predominately in the colon of the gastrointestinal tract, as a by-product of bacterial fermentation, as was found by Tomlin, Lowis and Read (1991) in their Investigation into human colonic physiology obtained from the study of flatus composition [3].

Further evidence of methane being produced by humans can be observed in the work of Pimentel, Gunsalus, Rao and Zhang (2012) in their work published in the American Journal of Gastroenterology Supplements. They researched into areas such as how methane quantities increased when an increase in the consumption of fatty foods occurred [4]. The underlying premise that humans should produce methane was not only proven with their work, but the discourse has now shifted as to how much methane is produced and under what conditions does the quantity vary.

Now, as to the raw statistics to show that whilst methane should be produced by a majority of people, that the numbers do indeed make a majority.

A 1990 study, performed by Cloarac et al., which tested young adults found that over 60% of these people had methane in their breath, which is clearly in the majority [8]. The test involved the consumption of 10 grams of sugar (which is found in most diets), a 14 hour interval, and then testing for gases released through the mouth, including methane and hydrogen. Keep in mind that this is only gas which is released through the mouth, which may not be an accurate indicator of the entirety of people producing methane due to it having to be detected in the mouth.

A similar study performed in 1981 found that 75-80% of Nigerians tested had traces of methane within their bodies [9]. The researched involved study into fatty acids, of which can be commonly found in a large variety of fish, nuts, oils (including virgin and extra virgin, both of which are used in cooking) and seeds, so it is reasonable to assume that most people eat these fatty acids, therefore the statistic would likely represent most demographics [10].

Evidently, the majority (>50%) of people should produce their own methane.

Counter-arguments:

My opponent appears to be arguing against an alternate resolution. However, this appears to be due to confusion rather than malice, so I ask voters not to penalise him/her.

References

[1] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[2] Suarez, F; Furne, J; Springfield, J; Levitt, M (May 1997). "Insights into human colonic physiology obtained from the study of flatus composition.". The American Journal of Physiology 272
[3] Tomlin, J; Lowis, C; Read, NW (June 1991)."Investigation of normal flatus production in healthy volunteers.". Gut 32 (6): 665–9.
[4] Pimentel, Mark; Robert P Gunsalus; Satish SC Rao; Husen Zhang (2012). "Methanogens in Human Health and Disease". The American Journal of Gastroenterology Supplements 1 (1): 28–33.
[5] http://tinyurl.com...
[6] http://www.thefreedictionary.com...
[7] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[8] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
[9] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
[10] http://nutritiondata.self.com...
AK24

Con

AK24 forfeited this round.
Zarroette

Pro

My opponent has, unfortunately, forfeited the most important round of this debate. Due to this forfeit, if he decides to post in the final round, I will be completely unable to address his arguments. This is clearly unfair for me. If my opponent does decide to post arguments in the final round, please seriously consider that I am unable to respond to anything he writes, whilst he has two rounds to respond to my arguments.

Otherwise, please extend my arguments.
AK24

Con

AK24 forfeited this round.
Posted by RoyLatham 2 years ago
RoyLatham
I recognized the trap. I think the Con response should be to note that methane is natural gas, the kind recovered from oil drilling, separated from the oil, and sent to customers through pipelines. It's absurd for the resolution to suggest that it's practical for the average person to drill their own oil well. Just let the gas company take care of it.
Posted by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
This is the best kind of debate to run a theory shell.
Posted by greatkitteh 2 years ago
greatkitteh
Wow. . . I would probably report this if the trick was pulled on me.
Posted by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
@AK24 - If you come across debates like this, run theory
Posted by tejretics 2 years ago
tejretics
LOL nac.
Posted by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
Lol this is so clever...
Posted by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
Haha you guys should definitely try it. It was a lot of fun to watch someone who thought he was getting an easy debate against an airhead get hammered with a smattering of arguments that he wasn't at all expecting :)
Posted by Varrack 2 years ago
Varrack
What a good idea. I should totally do that for my first round lol
Posted by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
Oh, so the first round was made as a trap for noob-sniping easier opponents, so when they accept Zarro can punch them with her arguments.

That's actually quite clever...
Posted by Envisage 2 years ago
Envisage
Methane is a gas, a hydrocarbon. It's pretty good for burning or doing other chemistry to it, but not particulary great if your purpose is to get stoned. You probably want methamphetamine or it's hydrochloride salt for that....
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
ZarroetteAK24Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Ff
Vote Placed by Commondebator 2 years ago
Commondebator
ZarroetteAK24Tied
Vote Placed by BLAHthedebator 2 years ago
BLAHthedebator
ZarroetteAK24Tied
Reasons for voting decision: All points except S&G to Pro. Conduct was because of Con's forfeiture. Arguments to Pro because A) Con was arguing an alternate resolution and B) Pro showed that people already produce their own methane as part of bodily function, thus proving that the majority of people should produce their own methane. Source points to Pro because she cited more studies and experiments as well as reliable sites, while Con cited two sites and a study, which wasn't relevant to the topic.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
ZarroetteAK24Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture