Hermes
dorky

The meaning of Christmas ... is not to get the biggest most expensive gift.

Hermes

Pro

So i live on the poorer side of the social spectrum, my family and i have a close bond and we know we can't get each other much for Christmas. So we make do. My girl friend is the exact opposite of me. She spent a couple hundred dollars on her mom and about 20 on her dad and felt that it wasn't enough and that it should be equal, but if it comes from the heart it shouldn't matter.
Right?

So what i want to debate is; Is it quality (the amount of love and thought put into the present) or quantity (the amount it costs) that really maters?

I truly believe that it is quality that matters, for a couple of reasons.

1. When person A sits and thinks about something to get that is unique, unexpected, and full of thought and love to person B, then person B will not be expecting the gift and when person B sees it they will instantly realize all that was put into it, making it worth more to that person then some random thing that they asked for. By putting so much work into this gift then it is "worth" more to both people.

2. Something with immense amount of quality then is more special then one without out it, because it shows the person giving the gift cares and that caring is a more important gift then any material gift. When our society focuses on the material we become empty shells that have no soul because we can never be happy with what we got at this time. So quality is essentially happiness because of the gift itself and what it takes to give that kind of gift.

3. lets use some real examples from my life and maybe yours. What do you cherish longer a 500 dollar camera or a card expressing someone's love for your? In my case i'm giving a gift that comes from an inside joke thing i have with my girlfriend. The only people that know about it is me and her and by giving it to her she knows i listen and care. The piece of paper it's written on might not matter but what it takes to give this gift if more important then money.

In conclusion quality is better then anything.

Thank you for reading.
dorky

Con

you don't sound like an actual debater, but I agree with you. almost, you see I would love to have a 500$ camera, I would also like to have a letter saying that they love you, but if they love you wouldn't they at least buy you a small gift? think about that
Hermes

Pro

Hermes forfeited this round.
dorky

Con

This round was forfeited because the debater did not post their argument within the allotted time.
I can see that I owned you pretty bad cause you didn't respond.
Hermes

Pro

Hermes forfeited this round.
dorky

Con

dorky forfeited this round.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
RMK, if you think of any rebuttal or any type of constructive criticism, please share, and then we may discuss it.

That comment, hoewever, had abolutely no value. It was utterly pointless, and, sorry, quite frankly a waste of time.

when you can think of something slightly more construcive than just calling my comment "unintelligent" and "ignorant", I would bepleased to discuss it.
Posted by gack1224 9 years ago
gack1224
From the eyes of both sides, the other is in sad, pitiful shape. Whether a believer (Christian, Muslim, Jew etc.) or an atheist, you'll both find each other's views ridiculous.

Dorky, you are completely wrong. First of all, you have no (nor claim to have) experience being less than fortunate. Therefore, you also fail to realize the position some people find themselves in when they feel obligated or obliged to give during the holiday season. It's the thought that counts and the surprise that the giver receives. You may have been surprised by a $500 camera, but another may have been surprised by a homemade ornament (with lots of care) or a book of helpful "hug/clean" coupons.
Posted by RMK 9 years ago
RMK
Harlan,

What an unintelligent and ignorant comment.
Posted by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
So offensive.

Why are people so up against Christ-my-a$$ day?
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
This is silly.

No one officially assighns a meaning to christmas.

This is a useless dispute.

The "meaning" of christmas is in the eye of the beholder.

To RMK, it is to celebrate the birth of some guy RMK believes had magical super powers.

To athiests, such as I, it does not mean that.

But, to extinguish the vain search for an absolute value for a holiday celebrated by all types of peoples ina ll types of ways, I give you the true "meaning" of christmas:

<"a Christian feast on December 25 or among some Eastern Orthodox Christians on January 7 that commemorates the birth of Christ and is usually observed as a legal holiday ">

Well, there we have it...nothing new.
Posted by RMK 9 years ago
RMK
Neither of you are right. CHRISTmas has everything to do with the birth of Jesus. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Posted by Harlan 9 years ago
Harlan
yes, christmas has been misunderstood and appreciated for materialistic desires too much, I agree.
Posted by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
Area, you are confusing Jamestown with the Puritan colony. The puritans were very much annoyed with their inability to suitably oppress others after Cromwell lost power and so they moved to America (people say for religious freedom, but really it was religious persecution of others). Though yeah, it's more popular in it's modern iteration than it was in the previous iterations and certainly the secular Christmas is way bigger as far as hits go than the religious one.
Posted by AREA 9 years ago
AREA
Historical tidbits

Oliver Cromwell banned Christmas. He forced stores to stay open and he forced churches to close on that day. Jamestown and the founding fathers were little different. Amazing that protestants today are defending Christmas.

The reason they used to ban it? Too much partying, and trick or treating (ues, Christmas, not Halloween). Wasn't pure enough.

Christmas only became popular in the 1830s. Early versions of Santa had him drunk, riding a turkey...

Personally, I like Christamas, becuase it is all about eggnog.
Posted by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
I think that not getting presents is a pretty crappy meaning of Christmas.

I mean, what kind of meaning of Christmas is defined by what you didn't get? Crap I got an awesome gift! Way to ruin Christmas!
Vote Placed by andrewbary 9 years ago
andrewbary
HermesdorkyTied
Vote Placed by Chob 9 years ago
Chob
HermesdorkyTied
Vote Placed by sdcharger 9 years ago
sdcharger
HermesdorkyTied