The meaning of life is happiness

I believe that the meaning of life is the happiness we experience and that a true fulfillment of your life is to be as happy as you can be.

I truly hope someone will accept this debate because this topic means a lot to me.

I accept. I believe the meaning of life is love.

Thank you for accepting.

I would like to begin by pointing out a statement made in the comments that hematite12 made; i meant that is IS the own persons happiness so thank you for pointing that out.

This may be down to a matter of opinion but we all know the tingly sensation we get when things go right. When we get a gift from someone, make an accomplishment, hear a funny joke, eat a tasty food or just think about things that make us happy, out brain releases a chemical known as serotonin which gives us a warm, gentle pleasure. Why do we get this feeling? Because i believe it signifies we are doing things right. Everyone has their own things that make them happy, and since we can all control what our bodies do (most people) it is almost a waste not to do these things. I believe that if we live our whole lives worrying about others and devoting our existence to the convenience of an other then we may as well be throwing our lives away. Human life is the most beautiful thing that exists because it allows a short chance true existence. All we truly know in this world is that we like to be. We like to exist because we strive each an every day for that one time when we are finally happy.

Many people take this for granted and unfortunately many more people treat human life like a commodity or expendable thing. Each and every thing on this planet is beautiful from a mentally challenged quadriplegic to an evil dictator. That last comment may have sounded harsh and that is one of the only problems. Taking the life of another is completely horrible but unfortunately that is the only way some people can be happy. Sadly some people are born without the ability to feel emotions or only feel happiness at the expense of others and it's sad for me to say but this is just part of life. No one has all of the answers and the world is far from perfect, which is why you should cherish each moment as it comes knowing that you won't live forever so make the most of your life.

One last thing: My opponent believes that love is the meaning of life. I believe love (true love) is just an extremely advanced and even more beautiful form of happiness.

Thanks Pro.

Mainly, the reason I believe love is the meaning of life is because love is inherently good and I'll give a context to the love i'm talking about. Happiness on the other hand, may not always be a good thing. Here's what you've said:

" . . .I meant that is IS the own persons happiness so thank you for pointing that out."

So just to be clear, you are saying that the meaning of life is whatever makes the individual happy.

"Taking the life of another is completely horrible but unfortunately that is the only way some people can be happy."

As you can see, what makes an evil person happy might be murdering someone else. Let's stretch this argument. If one superdictator became ruler of the world and blew everyone in the world up except for himself because it made him happy, under your definition, this is the meaning of life because it made him happy.

In another example, you might think of somebody using drugs to make them happy. Using drugs would release a large amount of seretonin and dopamine in his brain making him feel happy, but at the cost of destroying the happiness of others around him like friends and family.

What i'm arguing, is that love is the meaning of life. Let me give you a context of the love I'm talking about:

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseverves."

This kind of love is selfless and builds other people up. If everyone loved each other in this way, I believe life would be much more meaningful.

Unfortunately the world is far from perfect and some people born with mental defects or raised a certain way may only find happiness at the expense of another. However, these defects and tendency's aren't natural and are considered an imperfection (despite the fact that no one is perfect anyway). I'm not saying that those kind of people are always bad or deserve to die, but taking someones life for pleasure or happiness can not be natural.

Con has also stated "Using drugs would release a large amount of seretonin and dopamine in his brain making him feel happy, but at the cost of destroying the happiness of others around him like friends and family."
There is a reason that these chemicals are created and released naturally in our brains. Of course there are external substitutes like marijuana and similar drugs but they aren't necessary in the release of these chemicals due to the fact that they occur naturally in our body. Also, con has generalized the term "drugs" without being specific and stated that drugs (in general) will destroy the happiness of others around, like friends and family. First of all i think that the friends and family should be happy because the individual taking the drugs is happy too. Second; there are only certain drugs that can, perhaps, lead to the destruction of another persons happiness. Drugs like methamphetamine, speed, cocaine, heroin and drugs similar can easily cause these things to happen, whereas safer drugs like marijuana have nearly no negative side effects and are simply used recreationally.

Also the con believed the meaning of life is love when in fact love doesn't always suit people. True love is a rare thing that doesn't always come to everyone as some people are happier to live individually. We are now past the point in evolution where reproduction is no longer necessary for every human, leaving them with the freedom to choose weather or not they decide to have children. Love never lasts forever as spending that much time with a person can cause life to become boring as you basically know almost everything about your partner.

Happiness is the end result of each satisfying moment when we finally achieve what we have set out for (big or small in size). Also, love is just a result of two people making each other happy, thus returning to the conclusion (that i choose to believe) that happiness is the meaning of life.

Happiness from taking someone else's life may not be natural, but I don't see how it would still apply as the meaning of life.

I'm sure that not all drugs are harmful, but I used it as a general example to illustrate that some drugs are harmful even though they release chemicals in our brain to make us happy. Using hardcore drugs can destroy the person physically and rip families and friends apart. You would still consider this the meaning of life if it made the drug user happy.

I'm not talking about a sexual love or desire but just a profound sense of seeing the good in everything and everyone, willing to put your own selfish desires second and the other person first.

This is why I believe that love is the meaning of life. This kind of love will always increase our well-being and simultaneously make us very happy in the process.
Posted by jasonk 2 years ago
Happiness is just another form of sadness. Love is just another form of hate.
Posted by SeekinTruth 2 years ago
Yes, I agree it is happiness, but the only true happiness, which comes from contemplating truth.
Posted by Actionsspeak 2 years ago
Can one of you define meaning?
Posted by delgadojustin2146 2 years ago
This is all just opinions though. How can either of you actually say what the meaning is?
Posted by GambitGamer 2 years ago
Good point, person below.
Posted by Hematite12 2 years ago
Who's happiness? By the way you worded your opening statement, I think you mean the agent's own happiness.

A person can be happy when they do bad things.
Vote Placed by Hematite12 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't respond to Con's primary argument against the agent's own happiness being the only thing that matters.