chadn2n
kvaughan

The media should have more restraints on what kind of pictures they take.

Started: 12/19/2007 Category: News

chadn2n

Pro

In the past couple of years there has been a problem with the media taking pictures of celebrities. Some of these pictures have been spotting up their skirt, down their shirt, or completely naked in the privacy of their home. Me personally, I believe that we need a lot more restraints on what is published in newspapers and on the net. I do not believe people should be able to make money off of a picture of a naked celebrity. If it was of any normal person than the person could be arrested. I think that celebrities should have the same treatment.
kvaughan

Con

Overly intrusive photographing practices often face legal action. Jennifer Anniston is currently in the process of threatening some photographers who shot her topless from over a mile away with legal action if the photos are published (http://www.thesmokinggun.com...). Examples like this exist all over the place, so your fears about some of the photography practices are unwarranted.

If you're concerned about who might access these photos, I'd point out that people must actively seek out the content, so only those who want it will access it.

Celebrities actually do not get the same treatment other people do. In US law there is a term called a "Public Figure". A public figure (such as a politician, celebrity, or business leader) cannot base a lawsuit on incorrect harmful statements unless there is proof that the writer or publisher acted with malice (knowledge or reckless disregard for the truth). The burden of proof is higher in the case of a public figure. This rule exists because slander and libel would go out of control without it.

The way I see it, celebs know what they are getting into by being famous. If they don't like it, don't do it. It's part of the price of fame. Also, the burden is on consumers. If you think that kind of content is wrong, don't consume it and use an alternate media outlet. Instead, people don't do this, meaning they agree with the content.
chadn2n

Pro

Although there are laws to prevent actions of the photographers. I believe that just because the person is a celebrity doesn't strip them of any of those rights we have. Although the price of fame is a big price, that doesn't change the fact that they are still human. They are still entitled to the unalienable rights given to us by birth. I don't think that celebrities should have any "special treatment" just because they are popular. Just like we don't strip any rights as we enter school gates, we don't lose the right to religion. Just because they are celebrities they shouldn't lose the right to their own personal privacy.
kvaughan

Con

Actually, when you enter school gates you do lose rights. Schools get the right to act as somewhat of a proxy parent if you're a minor, removing freedom of speech (including dress) and many other rights as well.

You have done a fine job of restating what you believe, but I brought up some good points which you ignore. I pointed out that celebs can sue photographers for overly intrusive photos and I point out that "public figure" status exists to stop a torrent of lawsuits. You failed to respond to either of these arguments, so I suppose I should assume that you have no objection until I'm told otherwise. Either point alone shuts down your argument.

Look, upskirt, or "nip slip" shots only exist when celebs cause this event to happen in public (it may be an accident, but point is no one forces it to happen) then, people take pictures. I see nothing wrong with this. If you don't want your naked body seen, don't create situations where it might reveal itself. Other photos where celebs are exercising privacy and it's violated are subject to lawsuits just like they are for everyone else.
chadn2n

Pro

main reason why i didn't respond to that was because of that knowledge of that it basically nulls out this debate. But the statement about stripping you of some rights at the school gates was actually a really bad example, but I was just trying to get my point across. Nipple slips are not forced. Although believe it or not, most upskirt shots taken are forced by taking a different angle. If you don't believe me, look it up on google and you tell me how they get those pictures. I believe honestly that, whether or not its in public, its a form of invasion of privacy. Having taken a picture by moving an angle (ex. up or down left or right).
kvaughan

Con

while this was an interesting debate, you basically concede that I win. Celebs have plenty of protection, but if they're concerned about upskirt shots, here's a novel idea -- wear panties. On nip slips, you can wear less revealing clothes.

You dropped all of my arguments, so I assume you agree with them and accordingly, I win the debate.
Posted by chadn2n 9 years ago
chadn2n
after rereading the debate, i noticed what you said in the end. i actually do not agree with what you said in the end. i do not agree with what you said, although if you wear panties it is still an invasion of privacy. people are perverts, im not meening this as a "round 4" so those of you who actually read the comments dont take this into any consideration on who won the debate, i just wanted to make my opinion on what he said out loud. very nice debate btw
Vote Placed by Tatarize 9 years ago
Tatarize
chadn2nkvaughanTied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
chadn2nkvaughanTied
Vote Placed by james94 9 years ago
james94
chadn2nkvaughanTied
Vote Placed by chadn2n 9 years ago
chadn2n
chadn2nkvaughanTied
Vote Placed by jwebb893 9 years ago
jwebb893
chadn2nkvaughanTied
Vote Placed by Sgtdap 9 years ago
Sgtdap
chadn2nkvaughanTied
Vote Placed by Scyrone 9 years ago
Scyrone
chadn2nkvaughanTied
Vote Placed by kvaughan 9 years ago
kvaughan
chadn2nkvaughanTied