TheJuniorVarsityNovice
picsbad

The minimum legal age of marriage in the USA ought to be raised.

picsbad
Voting Style: Open with Elo Restrictions Point System: Select Winner

TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Pro

Thesis
The resolution under debate is "Resolved: The minimum legal age of marriage in the United States of America ought to be raised to 21 years old."

I will argue that Congress should pass a law requiring that the absolute minimum age of marriage be 21 year old. Of course, any existing laws which mandate or allow marriage under the age of 21 will be eliminated and made legally null.

This debate will conform to improved voting standards, has a 10k character limit, and uses a select the winner voting system. Eligible voters have at least 1000 elo points. The debate is impossible to accept, apply in comments.

Definitions:

United States of America: The federalist entity consisting of three governing branches (legislative, executive and judicial), located in geographic North America and outlined in "The Constitution of United States of America" (1789) .

Ought: Denoting a moral or ethical obligation,

Rules:
-UPON ACCEPTANCE OF THIS DEBATE YOU CONSENT TO PARTICIPATION IN THE NEWLY ESTABLISHED HIGHER VOTING STANDARDS, FOUND HERE:

https://docs.google.com...

-Critiques are allowed
-Don't forfeit.
-All sources in round.
-BoP is on Pro

The rounds will be as follows;
R1: Round thesis and description, acceptance
R2: Pro makes opening args/ con counter-argues
R3: Both sides rebutt
R4: Both sides explain why they win, but can't add any brand new arguments or evidence
picsbad

Con

I will accept your challenge and the criteria by which you defined the debate.
TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Pro

TheJuniorVarsityNovice forfeited this round.
picsbad

Con

Since Pro accepted the burden of proof and forfeited the round, victory in this debate should default to Con.
TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Pro

picsbad

Con

Extend my argument about how victory defaults to me as Con because Pro forfeited.
TheJuniorVarsityNovice

Pro

Pics bad and I will be redoing this debate. Because this is the case, please refrain from voting on this debate and instead vote on the other.
picsbad

Con

As voters it is up to you whether or not to disregard this debate.
Posted by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 1 year ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
might be a bit longer for args than I thought. Give me some time.
Posted by picsbad 1 year ago
picsbad
I am willing to accept this challenge. I am new to this site but I have competed in Open-level collegiate parliamentary debate in the NPDA format.
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
@philosurfer

ya, you're pretty close there
Posted by philosurfer 1 year ago
philosurfer
Realistically, the recent data shows that brains don't fully fuse and mature until about 25 years of age.

So why even stop at 21 years of age?

Makes no sense.
Posted by philosurfer 1 year ago
philosurfer
I'm assuming both individuals/parties of a purposed marriage should be at least 21 in your thesis?

The emotional, psychological, neurological, and physical maturity of individuals ranges so much at various times. This is also very different for women than it is for men.

Legally, how we define what an adult is and when accountability can be assigned might follow naturally from these ideas.

Am I far off the mark here?
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
@blade. I just meant that I gave my thesis of the round(which is usually longer), and con accepts (only accepts). If you're interested I'll assign you con?
Posted by Blade-of-Truth 1 year ago
Blade-of-Truth
What do you mean by, "R1: Round thesis and description, acceptance". I'm interested in this debate, but would prefer to just use the first round for acceptance only. There's no point in me presenting anything related to my case until you present yours since you are the instigator.
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
you two should make this into a debate. I would judge it. Two very interesting concepts for sure.
Posted by Robkwoods 1 year ago
Robkwoods
You forget, they already did. Contract clause.
Posted by DT 1 year ago
DT
I meant Legislative, which makes the law...fail :(
Vote Placed by Hayd 1 year ago
Hayd
TheJuniorVarsityNovicepicsbad
Who won the debate:-Vote Checkmark
Reasons for voting decision: As R1 clearly states, a forfeiture is an automatic loss. Look forward to seeing the redo though.