Cobalt
katchabeswaransriram

The minimum wage in the U.S. should be raised.

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner
Started: 11/30/2015 Category: Economics

Cobalt

Pro

This debate is for the Forever23 unofficial tournament. I, Pro, will be arguing that the minimum wage in the U.S. should be raised. The opponent will argue that the minimum wage in the U.S. should not be raised.

Round Specifications:
R1 - Opening statements/Acceptance/Thesis
R2 - Opening arguments (no rebuttals)
R3 - Rebuttals
R4 - Rebuttals
R5 - Summary/Ending Rebuttals (no new arguments or evidence)

Rules:
1. Round 1 can be used to present a thesis, which is a general description of what you are arguing for and a very general summary of why. This thesis should not be used to make an argument, rather to state your position and what you are valuing in order to have this position.

2. As this is a tournament and sides are chosen at random, the Burden of Proof will be shared equally. This means whichever side presents the best arguments will win the debate.

3. No resolutional kritiks or resolutional semantics. Again, this topic was chosen for us, so you can not kritik the resolution itself or run semantics on the resolutional working.

4. Forfeits result in an automatic loss, excepting circumstances where this obviously should not be the case.

5. A failure to obey Round Structure will result in anything from a judemental penalty to a loss, dependent upon the degree to which the violation occured.

6. Have fun!

Thesis

I will be arguing that the minimum wage in the United States should be increased. It is because I value the strength of the economy and citizen happiness that I am supporting this resolution.

I look forward to my opponent's opening statements and Round 2.
katchabeswaransriram

Con

I will argue that minimum wage in the United States should not be increased. Before that I will clearly state the meaning of minimum wage in U.S.

The minimum wage in the United States is set by a network of federal, state, and local statutes. Workers can never be paid less to this fixed amount prescribed by the Government.

Thesis:

The main reasons that I would oppose the increase in minimum wage is that it leads to many economic instabilities:

Those are:

Price of the commodity raises leads to inflation.
Income inequality
Federal budget deficit and
Quality of jobs.

I too look forward to my friend's views on my opinion and his thoughts in words at round2.
Cobalt

Pro

Thank you for accepting and sorry for my late response. I'll be much quicker in future rounds. I'll just jump right in.

Fundamental Values

In this debate I want to make it clear that there are two fundamental values directly tied to minimum wage that should be emphasized in this debate.

The first is economic well-being, which can be simply understood as a measure of how the economy is behaving, specifically as it relates to its strength. Minimum wage is very much a political issue, but it is ultimately an economic issue. As such, it is quite natural to realize that when discussing minimum wage one ought to think of how it affects the economy. I will be demonstrating that an increase in the minimum wage would increase economic well-being.

The second is individual good. While the economy largely looks at a large group of people, individual good concerns individuals and their happiness and well-being. Minimum wage does significantly impact the economy, but moreso it also impacts individuals that it affects. I will be demonstrating that there is a great increase in average individual good that comes with increasing the minimum wage. This may be referred to as "societal good" in the future, as it concerns the average of individual good.

Contention 1: Real world experience ought to be valued above theoretical implications.

Some economists who spend a great deal of time studying economic theory understand that price floors (like the minimum wage) are theoretically detrimental to the economy. However, it is worth noting that economic theories make many assumptions about the world that do not have empirical truth -- they are assumptions that greatly simplify the model.

Economic theory is in no way bad because it makes said assumption, but it should be taken as a guide, rather than a rule of thumb. Looking at the idea of communism, one sees that it has great merit, theoretically. So long as its assumptions hold true, it works very well. However, we've seen multiple times throughout history that communism simply doesn't work well once actually applied, thus supporting the idea that sometimes economic theory that works under generally accepted economic assumptions does not work in the real world.

As such, it is necessary to value real world experience above theoretical implications, as the former is more likely to be indicative of what we can actually expect when implimenting an economic change.

Contention 2: An increase in minimum wage would increase income of low and median wage workers while only marginally affecting unemployment rates.

It is rare that one can enact an economic policy without adversely affecting somebody. Raising the minimum wage would be no different. However, the negative effects are far outweighed by the positive effects.

According to a nonpartisan analysis by the Congressional Budget Office [1], an increase in minimum wage to $10.10 per hour would result in an increase in real income for all individuals and families making less than the $120,000 per year (or less than six times the poverty threshold.) Only 3% of the population makes more than this amount per year, meaning the positive impact of an increase in minimum wage would affect 97% of the U.S. population.

As for those in the top 3%, you would still see an increase in income generated by the increased wages of low-income workers, but there would be a decrease in real income. Considering that once you reach a certain income, the way money affects you begins to change (from necessary purchases to supporting purchases), this decrease in real income for the top 3% would likely not significantly effect the societal good for this portion of society.

Closing Remarks

I'm must apologize for the brevity of this round. I got time cruched. Next round I will fully flesh out my arguments. Thanks for reading.

1 - https://www.cbo.gov...;
katchabeswaransriram

Con

katchabeswaransriram forfeited this round.
Cobalt

Pro

It seems the opponent has forfeited the match, and without good reason.

As per the rules, their inaction has resulted in an automatic loss.
katchabeswaransriram

Con

Cobalt

Pro

Cobalt forfeited this round.
katchabeswaransriram

Con

Cobalt

Pro

Cobalt forfeited this round.
katchabeswaransriram

Con

Posted by Kingofunky 1 year ago
Kingofunky
well.... i mean i do not like to tell people this because it requires tons of effort to explain that raising the minimum wage directly raises the cost of living so no matter how much money you get paid at minimum wage the cost of living, food, water, state tax. all of these go up directly with the minimum wage so what im trying to say is you must and i mean it to get more money work harder because raising the minimum wage will literally do nothing for your financial situation
Posted by Cobalt 1 year ago
Cobalt
Any requested changes to wording/rules/etc. should be put here before accepting so that I can edit the debate.