LovingOutlaw
ClassicRobert

The minimum wage should be 10$ an hour and adjust to inflation.

ClassicRobert
Started: 6/1/2013 Category: Economics

LovingOutlaw

Pro

Rules:
1. No statistics without a reference.

My argument is that The minimum wage should be decent enough so that people doing easy jobs can still make a decent living and that the ones making millions of dollars in bonuses don't need it.
ClassicRobert

Con

I thank my opponent for opening this debate, and look forward to an educational one.

Cost vs. Benefit Analysis

When minimum wage is raised, employers receive no extra benefit. The employees still have the same level of productivity, so the employers are still receiving the exact same benefit for each employee as they were before. However, the marginal cost is increased. Since the business will have to pay more for the same level of productivity from each employee, the employer has no reason to hire more people. In fact, the employer has every reason to lay off workers, because when the marginal cost is higher than the marginal benefit, the business is suffering a loss. If a business is suffering a loss, it becomes necessary for the business to remove that by removing the deadweight, or the extra employees. This leads to the next point.

Higher Minimum Wage = Higher Unemployment

For the cost benefit reasons stated above, when the minimum wage is raised, unemployment is also raised. However, this doesn't just effect those who are currently making the minimum wage. It would effectively work as a new standard, which would mean that other wages would also have to increase, as other jobs require higher levels of skill (1). This means that the "Cost vs. Benefit Analysis" written above would apply to all workers, not just those earning minimum wage. Since the costs would outweigh the benefits, the firms would have to fire more and more workers. Higher unemployment is not desirable, as America already has an unemployment rate of 7.5% (2).

No Benefit
Raising the minimum wage does not significantly effect poverty. In fact, most minimum wage workers are young, part time, and live in families with an average income well over the poverty line. All the minimum wage hike would do would be to raise the pay of the teenagers (while simultaneously lowering the amount of teenage work opportunities); it would not reduce poverty. In fact, just 4% of all minimum wage workers are single parents, and minimum wage earners only make up 5.6% of all American workers. This is such a small, insignificant number that raising the minimum wage would have little to no effect on poverty levels. (3)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would like to remind readers that my opponent is Pro, and is arguing the affirmative claim, so he has burden of proof. My opponent still has not offered any evidence or proof for his claims. I look forward to my opponent's response.

LovingOutlaw

Pro

LovingOutlaw forfeited this round.
ClassicRobert

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited this round.

Extend all arguments.
LovingOutlaw

Pro

LovingOutlaw forfeited this round.
ClassicRobert

Con

This, my friends, has been a full forfeit. Extend all arguments.

Please vote Con
Posted by brett.winstead 3 years ago
brett.winstead
Well stated, Classic. Well stated indeed.
Vote Placed by 1Devilsadvocate 3 years ago
1Devilsadvocate
LovingOutlawClassicRobertTied
Reasons for voting decision: F.F.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
LovingOutlawClassicRobertTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF.