theREALmaverick
SaraMarie

The most important cultural contributions of all time occurred during the 1980s.

Started: 1/12/2009 Category: Arts

theREALmaverick

Pro

I firmly support the resolution proposed. As an avid fan/ aspiring historian of 1980s culture, I stand resolute in the fact that the 1980s was the decade of most cultural importance. There were many great contributions to our Earthly culture during the 1980s in multiple fields of artistic expression, including (but not limited to), music, home entertainment, television, fine art, movies, and especially fashion. While the explanation is incalculable of exactly why so many culturally significant contributions happened to occur during this particular decade, the results are unequiviocal. The most explicit indication of cultural relevancy is revealed in the following decades. Since 1990, "the '80s" (to which I will be using to refer to things occuring between 1979 and 1990 A.D.) have had a permanent effect on all cultures continuing after the period. The fact that the '80s are so often referenced in modern culture is the sole testament to the pinnacle of cultural achievement therein. While many may disagree on the appraisal of the individual works of this period, it will still remain The Cultural Zenith.
SaraMarie

Con

As my opponent has stated that the '80s had the most important cultural contribution of all time. This is incorrect.

Cultural- denoting or deriving from or distinctive of the ways of living built up by a group of people

Have you heard the words: Yummies, Dinkies, Sinkies, Minkie, Poupie, or Ladettes? Probably not. Those were popular words in the '80s. The language hasn't passed on what makes you thing that this is the most important era of cultural contributions? Today you hear words like: stellar, awesome, spicy, hot, sexy, and so on. I think we are in our own cultural era. We are the ones today making things happen. We have contributed the most these past few years. The '90s included. We are already making the most cultural contributions to the world. Not many cultures stuck. Music from the '60s and '70s. Style from '80s and '90s. We are just making a mix of all of those cultures. There is not one who deserves the "most cultural contributions" title yet.

http://www.fashion-era.com...
theREALmaverick

Pro

I would first like to point out a misconception by the contender: while the (few) words that she referenced were used in the '80s and may not still be in circulation, she forgot that most modern slang is still predominantly of '80s popularity. The words "totally," "so (as in 'very')," "preppy," "oh my gosh (or the modern 'OMG')," and "like (as an expression)," are beautiful examples of slang words still in frequent use that rose to popularity in the 80's. Now, while she is correct in asserting that modern culture is a mix of many previous past decades, she still fails to decry how the 80s hold the title of "most important era of cultural contributions" because of the frequent references to that particular decade's culture. It is an old adage that "mimicry is the first form of flattery," therefore, the fact that the '80s live on visibly and predominantly in modern culture is a testament to the era's awesomeness.

www.80s.com
www.tripletsandus.com/80s/index.htm
www.inthe80s.com/clothes
www.fromthe80s.com
SaraMarie

Con

You say we use "oh my gosh" in this day and age, but really we use OMG. Once again we are in our own cultural era. Now a days the fad is nice straight hair when in the 80s big hair was "the thing". Also, lately there has been booming in the flats as stylish shoes. Yes, the 80s did have some fads that are still living today, but most have just faded out. We are a mix of the 60s 70s 80s and 90s. We are our own cultural era. Lets face it there is no cultural era that deserves the title.

http://www.fashion-era.com...
http://www.tripletsandus.com...
http://www.inthe80s.com...
theREALmaverick

Pro

theREALmaverick forfeited this round.
SaraMarie

Con

SaraMarie forfeited this round.
theREALmaverick

Pro

theREALmaverick forfeited this round.
SaraMarie

Con

SaraMarie forfeited this round.
theREALmaverick

Pro

theREALmaverick forfeited this round.
SaraMarie

Con

SaraMarie forfeited this round.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
good use of defintion.
Posted by zach12 8 years ago
zach12
I thought we would see more talk about ancient cultural contributions not just recent decades. That could have bolstered saramarie's case in my opinion greatly
Posted by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
lol
Posted by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
I waited forever for this to go into voting and now I decide it's a draw, although I personally agree with Sara.
Posted by SaraMarie 8 years ago
SaraMarie
I am going to keep forfeiting the rounds, Mr. L. I do not want to debate any more on this topic.
Posted by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
Is this really going to go on for five rounds, or are you going to mutually forfeit the rest of the way so we can vote? I'm happy either way, but the suspense is killing a very small part of me.
Posted by Soccerfrk767 8 years ago
Soccerfrk767
I love 80's music. Bands like Journey, Boston, Nena, Van Halen, Phil Collins, Bon Jovi, and so many more came predominantly from the 80's. But to say that <<"The most important cultural contributions of all time occurred during the 1980s.>>" Is perhaps a misconception. What about the 60's and 70's where many of the 80's most popular ideas came from? 80's Rock began in the early 70's (possibly 60's with the advent of Pink Floyd) . What about the invention of the car? you have only debated "words" and "phrases" used in the 80's I would like to see a more in depth debate.
Posted by theitalianstallion 8 years ago
theitalianstallion
I think that the time period that contributed most to our culture was between 300 B.C. and 400 A.D. In this period the human race saw the rise of Democratic and Republican governments in Athens and Rome. There was a huge increase in knowledge and critical thinking by philosophers in both societies. Roman expansion spread Latin, which is now the roots of many languages: French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, and to some, English. The Greek society might have had working clocks and the Romans were masters of engineering due.
Posted by Logical-Master 8 years ago
Logical-Master
I think the time at which the Internet become a normal part of life is/was the time period at which the most important cultural contributions took place. Well, at least if we are to determine "importance" based off of what you imply it to be.
Vote Placed by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
theREALmaverickSaraMarieTied
Vote Placed by dwest23 8 years ago
dwest23
theREALmaverickSaraMarieTied
Vote Placed by TheSexicanMexican 8 years ago
TheSexicanMexican
theREALmaverickSaraMarieTied
Vote Placed by LoveyounoHomo 8 years ago
LoveyounoHomo
theREALmaverickSaraMarieTied
Vote Placed by KyleLumsden 8 years ago
KyleLumsden
theREALmaverickSaraMarieTied