brian_eggleston
OhNoYouDidnt

The motorways should be cleansed of lane-hogging scum

brian_eggleston

brian_eggleston

Pro

So there you are, motoring down the outside (overtaking) lane making decent progress at a steady speed (for purposes of this debate, we'll assume you are not exceeding the speed limit, but in reality we know that you may well be because the speed limit is set at a ludicrously sedate 70mph) when the traffic up ahead all snarls up as vehicles move from the inside lanes to the outside lane, thus forcing you to slow down.

And the reason they are all being funnelled into the fast lane? Because some selfish, thoughtless, inconsiderate, cardigan-wearing, Tory-voting, Daily Mail-reading, middle-aged arsehole of a wanker (typically driving a Volvo V70, an E-Class Mercedes or a Lexus GS) is on his way to the golf course has clicked the cruise control in at a leisurely 65mph, and is sitting in the middle lane either oblivious of, or not caring about, the traffic chaos he is causing behind him.

And why isn't this driver in the slow lane where he should be when he's not actually overtaking anything? Who knows, but I expect the driver considers himself too posh to drive in the inside lane with the lorries, coaches and ‘the poor' driving their ‘squalid, clapped-out old bangers'.

And you know what really gets people's goat? What really, really makes motorists seethe? It's that there are 6,000 speed cameras on British roads [1] which take sneaky pictures of motorists that happen to stray over the speed limit, and every surreptitious snap results in 3 points on your license and a fine, yet, disgracefully, there are currently no cameras taking pictures of motorists who fail to observe lane discipline.

It's time to redress the balance in favour of the decent law-abiding motorist who has better things to do with his time than crawl down the motorway at 65mph – it's time to convert the speed cameras into lane discipline-enforcement cameras.

This way, the lane-hogs will either learn to abide by the law or will amass enough points on their licences to be disqualified from driving.

With properly observed and enforced lane discipline, as they have in Germany, the traffic will run smoother and thus allow the Government to abolish the speed limit on the motorways. On most of the German Autobahn network there is no limit on how fast you can drive which has huge time and cost savings benefits for individuals and businesses.

Therefore, I reaffirm that the motorways should be cleansed of lane-hogging scum.

[1] http://www.speedcamerasuk.com...

Note: I have argued on the basis of the British experience but I have noticed lane-discipline is just as bad in some other countries and am very happy to debate the matter in more general terms.
OhNoYouDidnt

Con

I thank Mr. Eggleston for this debate. This is something that I personally am very much in favor for. slow driver is a b1tch, especially when there is like a mile of open road in front of her.

I note that as pro/instigator, Mr. Eggleston has the bop to sufficiently justify his reason why motorways should be cleansed of these "lane-hogging scums". It suffices as COn victory if he can effectively prove that no good will come of Pro's stance.

I would like to contest Pro's definition of a lane-hogging scum. In America, a lane-hogging scum is more stereotypically referred to as "that baggy, seventy-year-old asian woman driving a white dented Hyundai Sonata." There, it seems, is a negative correlation between a driver's ethnicity being Asian and driving skill.
For proof, I refer the readers to the link below
http://seoulsuckingjerk.com...
Also, for reasons of organization, we will define them as comprising a stratum of D0uchebaggery.

Pro's plan to convert speed cameras to discipline-enforcement camera will backfire. Following are the reasonings:

Disadvantage 1: Extinction of Lane-hoggers lead to Instability in Ecosystem
Pro proposes that speed cameras be converted into lane discipline-enforcement cameras. But the fact of the matter is, lane-hogging scums take up an important niche in our ecosystem. You see, in every ecosystem, there is a d-bag, who just doesn't do what everybody wants them to: Dwight from The Office [1], Grinch from How Grinch Stole Christmas [2]. Lane-hogging scums are d-bags native to communal motorways, a distant relative to shopping-lane scums, another prevalent species of d-bags. Lane-hoggers feed upon the irate honks and rising stress-levels of people behind them. The very act of using speed cameras as lane discipline-enforcement cameras will put a cap on the d0uchebaggery and destroy the lane-hogger's primary food source, consequently starving them to death. Extinction of lane-hogging scums means imbalance in the fragile traffic ecosystem, causing havoc and turmoil to all its inhabitants.

Disadvantage 2: Extinction of Lane-hoggers helps other D0uchebags like "lax bros" to become more prevalent
Extinction of scums will reduce people's stress levels and it is a well-known fact that low stress level equates to fitness. More and more people will become fit and this will spawn d-bags like lax bros or beach boys in large volume. Lax bros are abhorrent creatures who spend half their lifetime playing lacrosse and drinking mountains and mountains of Brisk as demonstrated in the youtube video

Their laxness will infect others, and human kind will become one giant muscle-packed ball of lacrosse-playing snobs.

Disadvantage 3: Alt possibility: Overcompensation
In an attempt at recovery, the traffic ecosystem will overcompensate for the extinction of lane-hogging scums. This will lead to birth of more d0uchebags drones. They will conquer the roads like a swarm of locusts.

Pro does not understand the fundamental nature of d0uchebags and of our traffic ecosystem. Any attempt to eradicate them will lead to fatal backfire and spawnage of even more d-bags than ever before.
Because I have effectively given three good reasons as to why his plan must not be carried through, the voters must vote CON.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
brian_eggleston

Pro

First of all, I should congratulate my opponent on his lateral thinking – that certainly wasn't the sort of rebuttal I was expecting!

Secondly, I should apologise for the brevity of my response, I'm running the deadline right to the wire here.

Thirdly, I should like to address my opponent's arguments in turn as follows:

"Disadvantage 1: Extinction of Lane-hoggers lead to Instability in Ecosystem"

I didn't say I wanted lane-hogging scumbags to starve to death – I may want that to happen, but I didn't say that. In any case, the motorways are primarily used for long distance journeys and I'm sure the lane-hoggers could pick up food supplies locally.

"Disadvantage 2: Extinction of Lane-hoggers helps other D0uchebags like "lax bros" to become more prevalent will not occur."

The removal of lane-hogging scumbags from the motorway network will not reduce stress. With these selfish bastards out of the way, normal drivers will be able to exploit the full performance potential of their cars and travelling at very high speeds can be very stressful, as the embedded YouTube clip explains.

Therefore, "Disadvantage 3: Alt possibility: Overcompensation" will not take place.

Please vote Pro in favour of the resolution.

OhNoYouDidnt

Con

OhNoYouDidnt forfeited this round.
Posted by brian_eggleston 6 years ago
brian_eggleston
I do 50mph in 2nd gear! I've got a 6-speed manual (stick-shift) 'box so 4 of the cogs in my gearbox would never get used if I lived in NYC!
Posted by mattrodstrom 6 years ago
mattrodstrom
NYCity, that is...
Posted by mattrodstrom 6 years ago
mattrodstrom
Speed limit's 50 in NY :I

I actually got 6 points on my license (getting it revoked) for going 82
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 6 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
brian_egglestonOhNoYouDidntTied
Reasons for voting decision: Decent first response to Brian, too bad about the forfeit.
Vote Placed by Nails 6 years ago
Nails
brian_egglestonOhNoYouDidntTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
brian_egglestonOhNoYouDidntTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited the closing round, costing her the debate.