The movie frozen is overrated

Started: 3/18/2014 Category: Movies

I am challenging con to this debate. I believe this movie is overrated. First round is acceptance, meaning you only type "I accept" I am really excited to debate you on this topic.

Thank you for accepting the debate, I understand you are a fan of this movie. Anyway, let's begin

But before that I must warn readers

Current ratings

Tomatometer: 89% [1]
IMDb : 8/10 [2]

How the ratings work

This is a basic idea of how the ratings work for both film critic companies.

For the Tomatometer, they create reviews based on thousands of newspapers. Basically, they find the newspapers with reviews, and averages them out.

"The Rotten Tomatoes website, created in 1999, aggregates reviews from hundreds of newspapers and websites across the country, converts each review into a thumbs-up ("fresh") or thumbs-down ("rotten") rating, and then combines those assessments into a single "Tomatometer" rating that gives the percentage of positive reviews." [3]

IMDb is basically a website with users who vote. Voting is weighed. Being weighed is basically when they find the good, well enough reviews, and average them all out to create a final review.

"IMDb and IMDbPro display weighted vote averages rather than raw data averages. Various filters are applied to the raw data in order to eliminate and reduce attempts at "vote stuffing" by individuals more interested in changing the current rating of a movie than giving their true opinion of it." [4]

So now we understand how both ratings work. These ratings are quite high for this paticular movie in my opininon, and I will explain why, and back it up by proof.

Too much singing, not enough story

As we can all tell, this movie had much singing, as if it were a musical. Now I understand how it was great singing, however to be honest, this is the main reason people enjoyed this movie. They completly ignore the movie itself, and only like it for the famous song "Let it go". This song is so famous, people make hilarious covers! the thing is, without this music, the movie is nothing. The story was quite lame.

The plot was basically about a girl trying to find her sister after her sister freezed all of the kingdom. There was no "epic journey" no hard work, no nothing. She simply randomly found this guy, bought him carrots and he brought her to her sister. (will not continue because of possible spoiling).

The storyline was short because the movie was taken up by too many songs. As I am about to show you, here are the songs.

Frozen (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
1. "Frozen Heart" Cast of Frozen 1:45
2. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" Kristen Bell, Agatha Lee Monn, and Katie Lopez 3:27
3. "For the First Time in Forever" Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell 3:45
4. "Love is an Open Door" Kristen Bell and Santino Fontana 2:07
5. "Let It Go" Idina Menzel 3:44
6. "Reindeer(s) are Better Than People" Jonathan Groff 0:50
7. "In Summer" Josh Gad 1:54
8. "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)" Idina Menzel and Kristen Bell 2:30
9. "Fixer Upper" (featuring Maia Wilson) Cast of Frozen 3:02
10. "Let It Go" Demi Lovato 3:47
11. "Vuelie" (featuring Cantus) Christophe Beck 1:36
12. "Elsa and Anna" Christophe Beck 2:43
13. "The Trolls" Christophe Beck 1:48
14. "Coronation Day" Christophe Beck 1:14
15. "Heimr Àrnadalr" Christophe Beck 1:25
16. "Winter's Waltz" Christophe Beck 1:00
17. "Sorcery" Christophe Beck 3:17
18. "Royal Pursuit" Christophe Beck 1:02
19. "Onward and Upward" Christophe Beck 1:54
20. "Wolves" Christophe Beck 1:44
21. "The North Mountain" Christophe Beck 1:34
22. "We Were So Close" Christophe Beck 1:53
23. "Marshmallow Attack!" Christophe Beck 1:43
24. "Conceal, Don't Feel" Christophe Beck 1:07
25. "Only an Act of True Love" Christophe Beck 1:07
26. "Summit Siege" Christophe Beck 2:32
27. "Return to Arendelle" Christophe Beck 1:38
28. "Treason" Christophe Beck 1:36
29. "Some People Are Worth Melting For" Christophe Beck 2:06
30. "Whiteout" Christophe Beck 4:17
31. "The Great Thaw (Vuelie Reprise)" (featuring Frode Fjellheim) Christophe Beck 2:29
32. "Epilogue" Christophe Beck 3:04
Total length:

So as you can see, the movie litterally had more than half of it covered by music. The movie lasted about 108 minutes. [2] Even though most of the music was in the backround, there was still a lot of it, which interfered with the story line.

Since the storyline is the most important part of the movie, and it was bad, the ratings should be less than 80%.

This is all I will say for now, in order to save room for future arguments.

it doesn`t matter it is an amazing movie

I thank my opponent for responding.

"it doesn`t matter it is an amazing movie"

Not only is the grammar in this argument horrible, but the argument itself. Saying it's an amazing movie is all subjective, and you couldn't even prove it was. I on the other hand proved that "amazing" is too good of a word to attach to this movie.

Please at least try to create good arguments, or it will feel like I am debating myself.

Frozen has quite high ratings, and as I have already touched on, the ratings are too high for the movie. Not only is the storyline bad, but the way they created their twist.

Basically, almost every movie has a twist. Something that will surprise you, something that can change the entire story. Frozen is one of these movies with a twist. However there is one main issue; it was a horrible twist.

So when you watch a movie, and a twist happens, you want it to be unexpected. However there is supposed to be "build up" to the twist. Basically, there needs to be little hints about the twist. However in Frozen, it was the opposite.

In this movie, you realise the prince who Anna loved is really the antagonist. This twist was unexpected, which is good, unless it's random! There was no build up to the twist whatsoever. It really seemed like the prince loved her, as you can see in the pictures below.

The prince being the antagonist had no build up, and was random. It's like if olaf were to be the antagonist. This twist was horrible, and had no build up. Though unpredictable, it was random, ruining the point of a twist.

Sources from last round:

i don't care let it go

Since you told me you don't care, this is basically a concession. I have won the debate. In other words, I won't let it go, let it go, turn your back and slam the door to your possible victory in this debate.

here i stand by the light of day let the storm rage on. the cold never bothered me anyway

In conclusion, the movie frozen is overrated. My opponent conceded, giving me a win.

as if frozen the best movie EVER
Posted by TheUnicornofMagic 1 year ago
I love debating and by debating, I mean actually having both sides refute each other with explanations and not just a statement with no further details. It's not surprising Con got no votes after they did not address any of Pro's points about the movie.
Posted by 2015071 2 years ago
I agree with the twist. It is terribly done. What we all saw was just him HELPING PEOPLE. It's like telling us Batman is actually Joker. When I saw that twist, I burst into flames, yelling and screaming f*** you a**hole, and similar sh*ts. Oh yes Frozen has lots of loopholes. Here's a list of it:
1.The king and queen chose to help Elsa to control the power, by separate her from society, causing her psychological damage and make her more uncontrollable.
2.8 year old Anna sings like a boy.
3.Coronation day happens 3 years after the loss of the king and queen. TIMING!
4.Choosing a stranger to rule a land (which actually makes sense by linking 4 & 3)
5. Anna's reason for caring, loving and supporting Elsa is 'She's my sister!'. Now you may ask why it is bad because it isn't detail enough. Elsa is your sister doesn't mean you need to love her. You love your sister because family members should care for each other. 'She's my sister' is not enough.
6. Although Olaf is actually funny, but he is needless.
7. Fixer Upper is a unmemorable song.
8.Did I say Prince Hans twist?
9.Many songs are just mid mid SCREAM!!!
10. I actually felt the story is rushed. Most of the time we focus on Anna, but we have less time on Elsa. If we have more focus on Elsa, we may have more character development and therefore, better story (apply to other main characters, especially Prince Hans. Maybe a villain song?)
Overall, it is overrated, but it isn't a bad film, it's great!
Posted by Jabuticaba 2 years ago
The sources, not my arguments.
Posted by hd1997 2 years ago
he copied and pasted all of it
Posted by AizenKnaik 2 years ago
I love debating. And by that, I mean debating without doing a 'copy-paste' sources. And as much as possible, if you try to use something as your source, just make sure that you can explain it. Don't live it without explaining anything because technically, if that's the case, you're not really the one who is debating (if you can call it one). I appreciate arguments with no sources. As I've seen here, there are a lot of copy-paste thingy. You can't consider it as part of argumentation; it's more like proving something by directly quoting sources to make whatever claim you make more credible. And really, candidly speaking, it's disgusting to see such a thing. So I suggest next time to have your own argument. I'm not talking to any of you in particular, by the way. I just don't want to see again a source that is used as a direct quotation for justification. Again, I'm just reminding. I'm not totally condemning the use of sources. Of course it's better if you have one but just make sure you know what its limitation. Hope you'll spread this reminder to other people in this site as well. Let us use our own initiative in building up arguments. Let us be a good debater. Hopefully. - Aizen K.
Posted by Jabuticaba 2 years ago
Dear voters, I forgot to put my sources in my round 1 argument. Here they are:

Vote Placed by Jifpop09 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: No RFD Necessary.
Vote Placed by Mikal 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Obvious. This was almost a concession.
Vote Placed by Xerge 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Pro was the only one that presented an in-depth case.