brented
Enceladus

The musicians of today lack the talent of the artists of yesterday

Enceladus
Started: 5/18/2015 Category: Music

brented

Pro

I think that the artists of today lack the talent and style of the past artists. All they know how to do is sing the same lyrics over and over. They don't really tell a story or make you want to be interested in what you have to say.
Enceladus

Con

Nice to meet you, brented.

Your argument:

Talent? (Natural aptitude or skill.):

Seen Eminem? No, his talent isn't fast rapping, it's being able to keep a smile on people's faces and excite them.

----

Same lyrics over and over?

Not that true, rapping goes onto many different things (I apologize for using rapping as a reference often).

----

Stories?

I disagree, many put their souls into singing. There was a story about a Japanese woman (I heard this in an old singing assembly), who was getting married to this man from America, he went on holiday for seven years and came back married to another woman. She poured a ton of emotions into a song and many learnt her story. Many songs have a story behind it.

----

"Make you want to be interested in what you have to say."

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Sorry.
brented

Pro

brented forfeited this round.
Enceladus

Con

Hm, you haven't given me anything to debate about, hence I cannot debate with you right now.
brented

Pro

brented forfeited this round.
Enceladus

Con

The Final Round.

I will begin my points, then.

---
Era

Many of us lack the talent of yesterday since we live in a different era and people are becoming... stranger. I love classical music, I like the doors, The Beatles, etc.

----

FL Studio

Many have a talent for FL Studio, it's a hard thing to use since there's many little plugins and things that you could easily miss things, I consider that a talent.

----

We still have some good artists today like Pink. So I can't say that they all lack talent... obviously some of the artists do it for the fans and limelight... or to get away with a happy slap.
Posted by Argtarc 11 months ago
Argtarc
Even though you make a valid point (pro) there are some great artists today who do tell stories through their music. Take Ed Sheeran for an example. His song "Afire Love" is about when his grandfather was diagnosed and died by Alzhiemer's disease. Not all singers today are about fame and money, although some are. Also, look at the music by the Civil Wars. They sing about great emotional problems, and their melodies back up the meanings fantasticly. And even those songs that repeat the same words over and over again, do somewhat have meaning. Even "Wrecking Ball" by Miley Cyrus does have some emotional depth to it. When she sings the bridge it quotes "I never meant to start a war, I just wanted you to let me in. And instead of using force, I guess I should've left you in." That shows that even though her video for the song was slightly disturbing, she was able to create a song with a story. So I don't believe that you're completely right when you say that singers nowadays put no meaning into their songs. You're stereotyping singers today as a whole, when there are obviously extremely talented individuals who are able to flawlessly put a story into a song. In Ed Sheeran's "Afire Love" he quotes, "In my mind I should paint it with a pen," meaning that he would put the story into the song, hence painting with a pen. Sure, there were many talented artists who were able to put incredible messages behind their lyrics, but I don't think that you're giving artists today enough credit for what they're doing.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
brentedEnceladusTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits by Pro, so conduct to Con. Con also gave quite a few examples of musicians today that are talented, whereas Pro gave no real argument in the first place, and never refuted Cons, therefore arguments to Con as well.