The necessity of detoxing.

Claims regarding the need to rid your body of toxins are found in nearly every corner of the internet, as well as other media sources and many natural healers. Generally the claim is something to the effect of this; Your body builds up and stores toxins, and they are potentially harmful less they be flushed out. While some may see this as a good health practice, I remain unconvinced that this is anything more than snake oil.
If you believe you can convince me otherwise, and do so in a civilized manner, then please accept my challenge.
Also, if you accept this be prepared to site any sources for information that you're posting about and define any ambiguous terms, I will do the same.

I bestow my acceptance. Additionally, a few preliminaries are absent, including the outline for the debate and definitions. I will define any pertinent terms so that the ambiguity Con concerns himself with will be avoided so that both debaters possess no dubious understanding of the definitions. Moreover, since Con did not address the outline of which I am to adhere to, I will refrain from posting any arguments this round, but merely define terminologies, and accept the debate.

Necessity: (Noun), the fact of being required or indispensable.

Detoxification: (Noun), the process of removing toxic substances or qualities.

I will be arguing in favor of the necessity of the detoxification of the human body.
Con, please proceed.

Thank you for clearing that up, I'm still learning. Before beginning I would like to add a few more terms to our definition pool.
Toxic: Containing or being poisonous material especially when capable of causing death or serious debilitation
Toxin: A poisonous substance that is a specific product of the metabolic activities of a living organism.
Toxicant: A toxic agent, usually one produced by human-made activity, such as pesticides.

Detoxification products available in the market place are not necessary for healthy living, but have no actual impact on the purchasers health.In biological sciences it is widely accepted that the kidneys and liver are responsible for clearing the body of waste product, drugs, alcohol and other potentially harmful substances. The jobs that are too big for them require detoxification, and not in the form of a fruity beverage and a sauna, but a trip to the hospital. In medical terms detoxification is a process one undergoes after being exposed to harmful substances (poison, heavy lead, venom) or to reduce withdrawal symptoms in recovering addicts. The former relies on the belief that our bodies are somehow retaining toxins, and gets by using its arbitrary term without defining which toxins their product actually removes, or by what mechanisms they work. When searching the medical journals for literature on the subject no results are found. Now I understand that absence of evidence is not a reason to conclude something false, however with the claims that they make on their product I would expect to find a trial that would lead them to their conclusion.

It appears that I misunderstood the resolution. Con seems to be contending the claims made from various products regarding the need for their product to detoxify the body. I will concede the notions he has advanced pertaining to the unnecessary potential of those products, however I will address the bodies necessity to detoxify itself.

The human body is a complex organism containing a multitude of various mechanisms and functions. One important function is the bodies pivotal need to detoxify itself via numerous mechanisms and processes.
Firstly, lets examine the components that are involved in the detoxification process.

Vital organs:
Digestive System (large intestines)

The above mentioned are critical apparatuses needed for the detoxification of the body.
Secondly, lets examine what these organs are responsible for in removing toxic substances.

Lungs - This apparatus is responsible for removing chemicals in the form of a gas. The lungs are involuntarily activated via the autonomic nervous system. Upon inhale, the lungs receive air( primarily nitrogen and oxygen), and during exhale( primarily nitrogen and carbon dioxide) the lungs expel air. During the expulsion of air, carbon dioxide is released, and if excess levels of carbon dioxide is reached within the blood, the body is exposed to multiple threatening symptoms.

Skin - One of skins functions is responsible for removing water via sweating, which are monitored by the apocrine and eccrine glands. Sweating is the process of removing primarily hydrogen from the body from the skin, which aids in the cooling of the body. Although the majority of toxins are not removed via sweating, certain toxins do dissolve in sweat.

Digestive System - The digestive system is responsible for removing waste via defecating, and regurgitation.

Kidneys - This vital organ is responsible for straining toxins from the blood and transporting it into urine to be subsequently removed from the body.

Liver - This organ is an imperative instrument in the removal and detoxification process off the body. The liver alters the chemical nature of toxins via enzymes to be then excreted from the body.

Now that I have addressed the organs and their responsibilities in regards to the detoxifying roles they possess, in the next segment I will address why detoxification is necessary.

The human body is constantly exposed to toxins, chemicals, and harmful agents that pose harm if reached in excessive levels. The reason the body undergoes the detoxification process is to ensure that the body functions and regulates safely and efficiently devoid of detrimental agents.

The following are symptoms the body may experience if excessive levels of toxins are reached within the body:
Sinus congestion

Albeit the above mentioned are mere symptoms of excessive toxic levels, the following are deadly diseases that result from excessive levels of toxins:
Digestive diseases like Crohn"s disease, ulcers, and colitis

Additionally, if we examine the definitions con has provided in the previous argument for toxic, the symptoms and diseases satisfy the criteria of being a result of toxic accumulation ergo, it would be deemed necessary that the toxic material suggested be removed from the body.

TOXICITY: This is the state of the body that indicates a poisonous or harmful substance that poses a harmful threat on the body. Toxicity is a result of excess accumulation of toxic waste within the body. Serious cases of toxicity can lead to death.

DanK forfeited this round.

Extend my arguments to the next round.

Since your argument is the same that I was going to be giving, that you don't need detox products since your body cleans itself, this debate has reached a stalemate.

It appears as I have stated that the resolution Con was addressing was the unnecessary usage of detoxification products. I have no further arguments since the resolution was misunderstood.

DanK forfeited this round.

No arguments this round.
Posted by Ragnar 2 years ago
Welcome to the site. A few suggestions to avoid getting sniped...

First of all it should be "cite" sources, not "site" as you currently have it.

Second a very weak play at semantics would destroy your current argument, as the body detoxes most things quite well on it's own, but such fits the current definition you've offered. This is evidenced by the need for the bathroom.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
I prefer to eat healthy to start with.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by InnovativeEphemera 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: I can see where the instigator was going, however upon checking, he made no mention of detoxification products in his introduction. Therefore, it is perfectly reasonable for Pro to front the case that the body requires organs to detoxify itself (etc). As it happens, I agree that 'detox' products and diets are hokum. In the future, Con should more carefully phrase the resolution to prevent potential 'lawyering'. Best of luck to you both.