le-wingnister
toughenough

The new Pantene ad feminist ad "not sorry" is a terrible ad and a bad influence of feminism.

le-wingnister
Started: 6/24/2014 Category: News

le-wingnister

Pro

The recent Pantene campaign "Sorry, not sorry" encourages women to not apologize.
I find this ad wrong in many levels, affecting both reputation of feminism and modern society negatively

first round acceptance only.
this will be my first debate on debate.org

note: I am a english as second language speaker.

http://youtu.be...
https://www.youtube.com...
toughenough

Con

I don't see why the ad is terrible since the target audience is women who will now associate the product with confidence (this is in fact brilliant advertising and I applaud the ad's directors for their ingenuity).

Aside from that, the concept that women apologize too much and should do it less often is not really detrimental.

In all the scenarios, it is very common for women to speak that way then they shouldn't be sorry for being selfish in a way that men do all the time without apologizing. Interrupting someone, using tour authority over them or handing your baby to them to carry is not something you should feel the need to apologize for and yet it's pretty common for women to that (in fact seeing women talk in the latter way in the video was very refreshing and shocking for me to see).

I am going to put on a great Rocky speech for you to understand that you can't go around in life feeling sorry for yourself and everyone else and need to suck it up if you're going to find happiness and succeed.

le-wingnister

Pro

My argument is that this campaign could effect feminism and society negatively.

It is common to say sorry when you interrupt when someone is talking. Same for the woman entering the office. Pantene is trying to say that those women's personalities are subservient. But really they're just being considerate.

I know the Rocky's speech very well and I understand sometimes you can't be sorry in life and have to stand up. But we are not talking about life and death, but basic daily manners. Such as saying good morning to your neighbors and such.

I admire people who is strong and would stand up for themselves, but it doesn't mean that is an excuse not to apologize at times when necessary. It worries me that highschool or middle school females use this campaign as an excuse to forbid "sorry" in their sentences. It is not only senseless but gives a bad influence on our idea of basic manner.
toughenough

Con

toughenough forfeited this round.
le-wingnister

Pro

Back with more facts, there were several research revealed why women tend to apologize more.
Researchers analyzed the number of self-reported offences and apologies made by 66 subjects over a 12-day period. And yes, they confirmed women consistently apologized more times than men did. But they also found that women report more offenses than men. So the issue is not female over-apology. Instead, there may be a gender difference in what is considered offensive in the first place. The research appears in the September online issue of Psychological Science.
In a second study three separate offences were rated by 120 subjects on a seven-point scale. And women consistently rated the three offences as more severe than men did. Turns out that men are just as likely as women to apologize for a given offense. But their threshold for thinking they have committed an offense is higher.
It is wrong to manipulate the fact of apologizing more makes female weaker.

source
http://pss.sagepub.com...

vote pro!
toughenough

Con

toughenough forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
le-wingnistertoughenoughTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Phoenix61397 2 years ago
Phoenix61397
le-wingnistertoughenoughTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments weren't quite convincing, but they were supported with sources, and con forfeited.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
le-wingnistertoughenoughTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture