ilovejews7
Zidane

The old testament, new testament and quran destroyed western civilization. Do you agree?

ilovejews7 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

ilovejews7

Pro

I hate religion:the hypocrisy the evil faces, the lies, the genocides... i hate religion. I think humanity was better off without the quran old testament new testament
I hope their gods wipes them out because there is nothinh holy about religious ppl. I hate their faces their lies and their hate...i love when religious ppl experience unexpected hardships i hate religipn because there is nothinh peaceful about religion. Look around every city on earth and then look at the churches and mosques...what goood is religion..
Uniforms and lies?

Excuse unedited grammar run on sentences
Zidane

Con

First of all, thank you for the opportunity that is given to me, and I would like to remind my opponent and every single reader, that I am not really good at English, therefore please pardon my misspelling and wrong grammar.

"I hate religion"
To be honest, this is not a good statement in a debate, because hate often contradict logic.

"I think humanity was better off without the quran, old testament, new testament"
True, but in what context? As a man with religion, I believe that we were made by God, and god created rules to be applied for every mankind. God created human, so how come humanity supersede God's authority? And the way I saw it, the holy book teaches humanity the way it should be. And to be honest, if you want to address a religion, do not combine those 3 books. Personally, I refer to the quran, since I'm a muslim, and please clarify which book you are referring to.

"I love when religious people experience unexpected hardships"
Please describe this particular sentence. Are you trying to to make a point out of this, or not?

"Look around every city on earth and then look at the churches and mosques...what good is religion"
Look at the mosques (again I would like to remind you that I'm a muslim), peoples who are busy at their workplace, they sometime meet each other, socialize, before they return to their routine. Originally, mosques gives shelter, collective charity for the poor, and it can be used as place to learn. As far as I know, churches are not far different, and I know there are some advantages that I forgot to mention, maybe you can do your own research by visiting them sometimes.

And my rebuttal ends here, again I would like to say thank you, hope that you will refute.
Posted by Zidane 11 months ago
Zidane
@MarcusDemarcus
I hope that you read again the history, you will notice that it's all about the middle age, and the renaissance. When the catholic church reigns over the HRE, that's what we call the medieval age. When renaissance broke out, as for this text, I will refer to it as the the modern age.

Now we must agree, that the western culture we're talking is today's manner. And I hope that you acknowledge, that before the renaissance, the 'medieval western culture' is almost as the 'eastern'. The feudalism, the monarchy, the narrow minded. But what change them all? The renaissance. Who vanguard the renaissance? The Italians. Where did they learned it from? The Ottomans. These questions continues. But here's the point, Christianity never let people widen their mind on that time, or maybe until this time. The problem became even more serious, when a man's thought was different than the church, say, Galileo Galilei.

"If anything, the moral degeneracy we see in the west is a result of the large abandonment of the Catholic church. The distinction of the old testament and new testament is irrelevant as practically no catholic only entertains one."
The problem is, there are almost no biblical evidence where we must distinct the NT with the OT. In fact, Christians believed :
- The God of OT is the same as the God NT.
- Jesus in the NT quoted the first commandment form the OT.
And suddenly when peoples quoted harsh commandment from the OT, Christian apologist will try to say that it is distinct.
Posted by Zidane 11 months ago
Zidane
@MarcusDemarcus

Posted by kwagga_la 1 year ago
kwagga_la
If you are an atheist then you should then also hate atheism. Atheism gave us Stalin and and Paul Pot to mention a few who were responsible for the death and suffering of millions.
Posted by MarcusDemarcus 1 year ago
MarcusDemarcus
First of all, this topic is fallacious as we are lumping together two completely different beats: Christianity and Islam. The differences go back to Abraham and Ishmael. Lets dissect each one.

Christianity was one of the, if not thee, most important force that drove the progression and evolution of Western civilization. Historically, not only has Catholicism been the major religion in ALL western countries, but it has funded many of the social programs that built the western infrastructure, and excelled them in academics, athletics and arts. We can still see this with the Catholic school boards and colleges that exist in every European/American country. Christianity fostered artists such as Mozart and Beethoven. Notre Dame football anyone? Beyond this, the Christian churches have influenced western culture, arguably, more than any other influence. The rise of the catholic church started its socioeconomic influence in the middle ages after the fall of the Roman empire. Don't make me mention the crusades.

Islam, on the other hand, has had virtually no influence of western culture. If anything, we could make a strong argument that Islam is antithetical to western culture. This is a separate debate. If anyone would like to have this debate, I would welcome you to message me and I will happily engage you. If anyone can offer any significant contributions Islam has made to Western culture, please provide them in a comment.

Now, to move on to the actual topic of the debate. Keeping my earlier comments in mind, Western civilization was built harmoniously with the catholic church, I think the answer is clear that it is not contributing to its degeneracy. If anything, the moral degeneracy we see in the west is a result of the large abandonment of the Catholic church. The distinction of the old testament and new testament is irrelevant as practically no catholic only entertains one.

Islam is trying to degrade western culture. Its roots are too deep and strong to l
Posted by MarcusDemarcus 1 year ago
MarcusDemarcus