AgainstEverything
adomman

The one that you love or The one that loves you?

AgainstEverything

Pro

The one that loves me ofcourse! If that person will not stop loving me, I can love him back too because of his efforts. Why would I love someone who deosn't love me back right? It'll makes me tired and hurt. One-sided love? Ouch.
adomman

Con

So I am arguing for the position that if it's between choosing someone either because
They love me OR
I love them

then I would say because I love them.

As a rebuttal to your argument
I will break it down how I see it.
You say you would choose the person who loves you because

1)If they love me they will be loving towards me
2) If someone is loving towards me it would be easy to love them back

Well let's switch the roles now. Could it not be argued then it is generally true that

1)If I love someone and act lovingly towards them then
2)That person will also be likely to love me back

Additionally I would also submit that if we only love those who love us then it would create a society completely isolated.
For if in order for anyone to love any other person you have stated, then that person must first love you.

So if two people met thinking like this "I'll be your friend only if he is friendly towards me" and the other person thinks the same then we have either reached a stale mate or no change. Because neither I or he have a previous experience upon which to say they have acted friendly towards me therefore I can be friendly towards them. It would lead to a regress upon which no person would love anyone else.

I believe that one must CHOOSE to be friendly or loving towards another (at least at first). You must extend your hand to them separate of any merit of that person. For if I meet a pretty girl for the first time but will only approach her once I know her, how will I get to know her and come to love her lest I or the girl takes the first step and reach out?
AgainstEverything

Pro

AgainstEverything forfeited this round.
adomman

Con

adomman forfeited this round.
AgainstEverything

Pro

AgainstEverything forfeited this round.
adomman

Con

adomman forfeited this round.
Posted by ginger007 2 years ago
ginger007
i think that it its both, because for one you could love someone even if they hurt you. if thats what your trying to get at? you can still love this person no matter what even if he/she stops loving you.