Rolyatleahcim
yesikant

The only thing to fear is fear it self.

Con Tied Pro

Rolyatleahcim

Con

I am arguing against the statement "The only thing to fear is fear it self."

Scientist have shown that when you are in danger, say a lion is standing in frount of you, you have a an automatic fight or flight response and your brain quickly releases adrenalin.
yesikant

Pro

Thank you for the debate and thank you much more for contextualizing this as a scientific debate.

"The only thing to fear is fear itself" is absolutely verified by modern psychology. Suppose we are talking about a human, Ralph, being confronted with a spider, which he is irrationally afraid of. According to psychological research, Ralph's fear is not perpetuated by the visual stimuli of the spider, but rather reinforced by the fear itself, meaning very literally that there is nothing to fear but fear itself.

Let me explain the current psychological model of the conditioning of fear:
Fear conditioning is the method by which organisms learn to fear new stimuli. It is a form of learning in which fear is associated with a neutral stimulus (e.g., the sight of a spider). This can be done by pairing the neutral stimulus with an aversive stimulus (e.g., being bitten as a child). Eventually, the neutral stimulus alone can elicit the state of fear.

This state of fear is the only thing that we "fear". Phobias are perpetuated because people have a fear response that is a negative stimuli - feeling scared. When they "fear" the spider, they are rewarded with a reduction of that negative stimuli. However, the "fear" is only perpetuated by the fear response (the negative emotions of being scared) and not the spider itself.

Hence, there is (very literally) nothing to fear but fear itself.
Rolyatleahcim

Con

My little sister has an irrational fear of spiders. This was started one day when she saw my mom scream bloody murder when there was a spider on our kitchen table. My little sister was not afraid of my moms fear but only at whatever the spider represented that my mom was so afraid of. Would it kill them? My moms fear may have reinforced or even created my sisters fear but the fear was visibly of the spider which she thought might pose a threat and if my mom was that afraid she better be as well.
yesikant

Pro

Well, Rolyatleahcim, first off, you have the weirdest screenname in the world.

Regardless, you aren't proving the topic, because you aren't rebutting by disproof of the topic. The story about your little sister is explained under the scientific research I provided.

Let me do that for you.

You sister had a bad experience with spiders such that, whenever she sees a spider, she has a fear responds. Your sister probably sweats and her heart beats faster - unpleasant stuff. However, your sister probably finds that when she flees the scene, her fear is reduced. This process continues whenever she sees a spider such that her fear is reinforced. However, the fear was never reinforced by seeing the spider. Instead, it was reinforced by her desire to eliminate her fear. Her fear was only to the fear itself.

Hence, there is nothing to fear but fear itself, even in the example you provided.
Rolyatleahcim

Con

Rolyatleahcim forfeited this round.
yesikant

Pro

Alas, my opponent has forfeited. I thank him for the debate.
Posted by Rolyatleahcim 8 years ago
Rolyatleahcim
Yes it is I Michael.
Posted by yesikant 8 years ago
yesikant
haha. clever of you for noticing that.
Posted by jjmd280 8 years ago
jjmd280
Rolyatleahcim - not so weird - Michael Taylor
Vote Placed by jjmd280 8 years ago
jjmd280
RolyatleahcimyesikantTied
Vote Placed by yesikant 8 years ago
yesikant
RolyatleahcimyesikantTied