prestina4eva
Conspicuous_Conservative

The oppression of women in the church.

Con Tied Pro

prestina4eva

Con

I have found that within the Christian faith, women are subject to oppression. From the subject of a man as the head of the household, to man as the head of the church, this systematic oppression needs to be stopped before it affects future generations.
Conspicuous_Conservative

Pro

Before we begin our discussion I would first like to thank you for this opportunity to present my side of this matter. I can understand at first glance how one can misunderstand the role of women in christianity. Because all books of the bible where written before the turn of the first century A.D. (C.E.) there is a tone of women being inferior. But many of the teachings of the bible would not be acceptable to this day the stonning of people the persecution of homosexuals and the notion of retaliation or retribution, ex. "an eye for an eye". Your main argument has be leadership roles in reguards to women. I personally am of the Catholic denomination where there are males from Priests, to Bishops, Cardinals, to the Pope but in the faith of the females of our church are the Sisters (nuns), Mothers (higher level nuns) and Mother superiors. In the hispanic faith specially in Mexico Mary the mother of Jesus and othe famous Virgins are looked up too, often worship. You have a feminist view of the religion I feel but if you feel your church or your denomination is treating you poorly then it is a perversion of Christisnity and I suggest you change.
prestina4eva

Con

prestina4eva forfeited this round.
Conspicuous_Conservative

Pro

This is a sad event don't you hate it when you waste your time in an argument. Now I must make up 100 words in order to state how this young lady who is probably having legitimate problems in her life is blaming the Christian Church for her problems.
prestina4eva

Con

prestina4eva forfeited this round.
Conspicuous_Conservative

Pro

Well I receive yet another debate in which the person refused to back their claims with facts. I would like to thank those of you that have commented it at least added further thought and incite to this issue. please vote if you are even still interested and Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah
Posted by Judy 5 years ago
Judy
I felt very oppressed growing up as a catholic. I could never understand why god only loved boys and "cursed" girls. Because girls were not treated as well as boys, I developed a self esteem problem that I still deal with to this day. When I needed comfort from a religion, I looked in to other forms of christianity. What I found was more oppression and inferiority. I found out what the bible said about me-that I should be a slave to men, unclean, should not even talk, etc. It was mind boggling to me. I found out it was not just the catholic church, but all religion that wanted to put me down for being female. I have rejected religion in favor of spirituality, but I still want to occasionally tell my story so that maybe some little girl could be spared the pain that I experienced.
Posted by jesse32 9 years ago
jesse32
Women can take care of themselves, Mr. Savior. You are like a little bicht. They are more powerful than you know. I bet you answer to one don't you?... Do not post anymore crap.
Posted by Masterworks 9 years ago
Masterworks
Also...to add to tbarber's last point:
Think of the word "sarcasm".
It is derived from the Greek root "sarcs", which means "to tear at the flesh". Wonderful.
Posted by Masterworks 9 years ago
Masterworks
...How are women oppressed?
This may have been the case in the time of Jesus, but that is because the society's stand on women was that men were superior and dominant. They began the notion of referring to the Judeo-Christian God as "He" and "Him". Today, there are other ways to understand and use this, one being the continuation of the use of "He" and "Him", and another being the use of (S)He and Him/Her. A third, but much less popular thought on the gender of the Judeo-Christian God is that (S)He is not defined by gender. Seeing as man (again an ancient collective term, standing for all humans) is created in His/Her image, and there are two genders, (S)He cannot be defined in the case of gender. So, you see, the prominent reason as to why men are dominant in Christian society is because that was the viewpoint of the ancient society, and it simply never changed. But women are not oppressed. Yes, men are "superior" in the society, but women are presented opportunities as well and humans are not/should not be judged by their gender.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I am Catholic so therefore I am a Christian woman. Maybe there are some faiths that are Christian that may be oppressed, however you can hardly say all. In my church ,my wedding vows said nothing about me being submissive. I am allowed to apeak up to my husband according to my church .. I am supposed to be faithful , but then so is he. I am supposed to love him in sickness and in health but then so is he. So I would say our vows are completely equal. So women can't be priests, but they can be nuns. A man cant become a nun ..so I would say thats pretty equal. My priests have never said .the man is the head of the household and I dont know any Catholics who personally believe that. I went to Catholic schools for 12 years and my hs was all girls and they never told us to be less than the best . We were told that as women we could be anything a man was. IN no way am I oppressed as a woman. I learned from fraith to be the best I can be , to value my self worth and to not let someone treat me in any way but respectful.I would say oppression of women in a church would more likely be Muslim women.
Posted by tbarber001 9 years ago
tbarber001
the koran has peaceful parts in it...
andi have not read all of it, but bits an pieces.

People who read the koran or practice islam arent necessarily going to kill those who are christian or jewish... i have many friends that are muslim, and that never crossed their mind to kill me because of my religion.

Just like all religions, christians, jews, or muslims...you are always going to have extremists...people who take things too literal. You have christians blowing up abortion clinics...is christianity a horrible religion now?

No matter what religion you are, the end goal is going to heaven of hell...or some form of a bad or good place.
And people who kill other ppl for their onw religion's sake is something that the normal person would not do, but a person who might take things too literal.
In the 10 commandments kill means a lot of different things...hate...actually kill...etc.
How do we not know their kill is to hate...
i dont know...just a thought...
Posted by Conspicuous_Conservative 9 years ago
Conspicuous_Conservative
Koran has sections that are peaceful but the part I cannot shake is the fact that one is of the religious of the book if they are Jew, Christian or Muslim but they must convert to Islam or killed.
Posted by mrpresident 9 years ago
mrpresident
Oh, sure it's peaceful. If you're a Muslim male. Consider these peaceful and equal religious gems of the Holy Qur'an:

Sura 24, Verse 31: "And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O ye Believers! turn ye all together towards Allah, that ye may attain Bliss. "

Sura 4, Verse 3: "If ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly with the orphans, marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one, or (a captive) that your right hands possess. That will be more suitable, to prevent you from doing injustice."

Sura 4, Verse 11: "Allah (thus) directs you as regards your children's (inheritance): to the male, a portion equal to that of two females..."

Sura 4, Verse 15: "If any of your women are guilty of lewdness, take the evidence of four (reliable) witnesses from amongst you against them; and if they testify, confine them to houses until death do claim them, or Allah ordain for them some (other) way."

Sura 4, Verse 24: "Also (prohibited are) women already married, except those whom your right hands possess(slave women)..."

Sura 4, Verse 34: "Men are the protectors and maintainers of women, because Allah has given the one more than the other..." "...remove them from beds apart, and scourge them...

Have you read the Koran?
Posted by Brave_Yankee_87 9 years ago
Brave_Yankee_87
tbarber, you bring up some interesting points, but I would like to remind you that we are all created in the image and likeness of God. Male and female are both created in His image. Now, males can do things females can do, and vice versa. I am Catholic too, so I'm sure we would agree on a lot of things and I hope all goes well for you. And good luck to the two contenders.
Posted by tbarber001 9 years ago
tbarber001
actually if u have ever read the koran...its really peaceful
just there are some extremist groups out there...
Vote Placed by Mharman 2 weeks ago
Mharman
prestina4evaConspicuous_ConservativeTied
Vote Placed by U.n 11 months ago
U.n
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeited turns.
Vote Placed by Corryngf 9 years ago
Corryngf
Vote Placed by BadBoi 9 years ago
BadBoi
Vote Placed by NapoleonofNerds 9 years ago
NapoleonofNerds
Vote Placed by riclanda 9 years ago
riclanda
Vote Placed by Lacan 9 years ago
Lacan
Vote Placed by tman1900 9 years ago
tman1900
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
Vote Placed by mrpresident 9 years ago
mrpresident