FluffyDebater
ballpit

The original Street Fighter is the best Street Fighter game!

ballpit
Started: 5/11/2016 Category: Games

FluffyDebater

Pro

I do not like seeing Street Fighter 1 get bashed at all! It is my all time favourite fighting game therefore I made this debate to stand up for it. The games fights are quicker, which is more challenging than a 60 second fight, the games voices are great for its time, and the moves are easy to perform!
ballpit

Con

I would like to begin by thanking my opponent for making this debate and wish him luck. Street fighter is one of my favorite fighting game series so I would like to see what you have to say.

1st. Game speed:
The newer games are more structured toward strategic and skill based fighting which is why the longer timer is a great addition to the games that the first game was lacking. The speed at which the fights take place now is still quite quick when you look at some other games in the genre such as Killer instinct which also has a long timer but is more focused on poking your opponent down and starting combos late into the round to pull ahead.

2nd. Moves and Mechanics:
The moves are more varied then they were in the original so they are going to get harder to perform. This also leads to the need to practice the move inputs to become a high tier player instead of just hitting one button for kick and one for punch. The larger variety of moves allows for more interesting and exciting combos making spectator the newer titles extremely entertaining. Some new mechanics include the ability to parry, without this mechanic moments like this(https://www.youtube.com...) would have never happened. The mechanics improved on the foundation set not by the first game in the series but instead the second game in the series. The second game was much better than the first and sold 6.3 million copies making it the 5th highest selling fighting game of all time.[1]

3rd. Esports scene:
The esports scene for street fighter 2-5 is flourishing more than it ever has and the scene for the original is non existent because the game has no competitive motion behind it that is willing to step up and say something.

As a whole the street fighter games in the series are much stronger members of the series than the original game.

[1]http://vgsales.wikia.com...
FluffyDebater

Pro

That was a very good argument, I had to do lots of research before I post my argument.

Now, difficulty is a great part of fighting games, I would hate to play a fighting game and the final boss is very easy, Street Fighter 1 is more than hard to complete which is very fun, the very quick fights make it feel like a battle for survival not a big strategic match, I will however admit that the non-Arcade versions are rather slow, at least in my experience because I do not own all versions, if you compare the Killer Instinct fights to the Arcade Version of SF1, you will see that SF1 is faster and less strategic, which is more challenging so its good.

I can perform the special moves very easily, and if you cant perform them easy it is actually more fun just having punches and kicks which is what I did all the time, it even made me beat Sagat! But if the moves are harder to perform for you, I find that good as it makes it an achievement to perform a special move or win a fight. I think SF1 is way better than all of the Street Fighter games.

Now, on eSports if you meant tournaments, I will admit you are mostly right. With the tournaments just Ryu fighting Ken over and over and over would be very boring, I will admit. But they could've done tournaments about who gets the highest score!

I disagree that the original Street Fighter does not stand strong, it has amazing soundtrack, great graphics especially for its time, challenging, and the start of an amazing fighting game series! SF1 stands as the top one, and that's a lot considering I'm a massive Street Fighter 2 & 3 fan.

But, its an old game, its good for its time at least, so why hate it? Plus it looks the most realistic out of all of them, and that is BIG considering its an old game.

Now...
I wish you good luck!
ballpit

Con

I don't know how you want to structure this debate so I will now refute the points that you presented in your argument.

1. Mechanics/Game speed
The difficulty of pulling off the special moves you can perform in the game add to the charm of the newer games in the series. The first game is good for its time in the regard of mechanics but to say that it is the best in the series is the same as simply ignoring the things that have improved since the reinvention of the series in street fighter 2. The speed of the matches being faster and less strategic in the first game make for an overall less rewarding experience than the games that have come out since.

2. Graphics/Soundtrack:
While the overall experience is good for its time it is the sequel whose graphics and soundtrack remain known by a majority of gamers to this day. The character select screen is considered the most recognizable in gaming for its sleek design and background music that still stands the test of time even being made with old software.

The game was a good game for it's time and I personally do not hate it however the games that came after it are what made the series the king of the fighting game genre. The mechanics and standard layout for a fighting game was implemented on the second game in the series and has stuck with it since the release.
FluffyDebater

Pro

FluffyDebater forfeited this round.
FluffyDebater

Pro

FluffyDebater forfeited this round.
ballpit

Con

Extend and vote con I guess.
FluffyDebater

Pro

FluffyDebater forfeited this round.
ballpit

Con

My opponent has forfeited 3 round in succession and has not responded to my rebuttals Vote Con.
Posted by ballpit 11 months ago
ballpit
I hate debates that end like this.
Posted by ballpit 1 year ago
ballpit
I forgot to add a source in my argument so here it is.
http://tvtropes.org...
Posted by FluffyDebater 1 year ago
FluffyDebater
I'd like to see how this goes.
Posted by FluffyDebater 1 year ago
FluffyDebater
If you wish to challenge me on this topic, accept the debate or post a comment. Sorry, I don't know how this site works.
Vote Placed by K-Lew 1 year ago
K-Lew
FluffyDebaterballpitTied
Reasons for voting decision: Not only did Con win for not forfeiting like Pro, he had better arguments. Even his opponent said he had better arguments.
Vote Placed by Sweg123 1 year ago
Sweg123
FluffyDebaterballpitTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: I vote Con for the simple fact that Pro forfeited 3 rounds. More Convincing Arguments: I vote Con for 2 reasons... 1. His points were better, even Pro said that he was correct! 2. Again, Pro forfeited 3 times. Sources: Con was the only one to use sources and actually sourced all things he referred to.