vorxxox
Tatarize

The pen is mightier than the sword

vorxxox

vorxxox

Pro

I am unsure weather I'm for or against this old proverb "the pen is mightier than the sword" In this debate, I will argue for it, claiming that it is true, and doing everything in my power to advance it. I ask for a well educated, worthy opponent, for I will do everything in my power to win this debate.

I withhold my arguments to next round.
Tatarize

Con

I have a number of hobbies. One of them is fencing, as a joke. I once fought with a pen against a sword. I broke my thumb.

The pen is not mightier than the sword.

---

It has been said that history is written by the winners. Supposing this we are left with implication that though the pen may be a great product for social change it serves mostly at the behest of the sword.

---

The lead up to the Iraq war had a number of journalists and level headed people facing the war mongering jingoism of the Bush administration. If the pen were mightier than the sword, should not the cooler heads have prevailed.

--

The fact is the same throughout history, the pens are no match for the swords. The most influential things they can do is write about what the swords did in hindsight.
vorxxox

Pro

Thank you for accepting my debate. Now on to my argument.

The pen is what makes the sword. Swords are forged from the wisdom of the pen. You know what the greatest invention of all time is? Hmm? Let me tell you: it's writing. You see, with the ability to read and write, one can record their thoughts and experiences and allow the masses to ponder over them and eventually learn from them. Knowledge is power. More powerful than anything else in the universe. Reading and writing allows us to combine our minds into one. You see, power is best achieved through exercise. It is built. Exercising our knowledge base is what allowed mankind to eventually build complex things, helped us use math to make calculations, gave us the ability to descend into the sea, into the sky, and into space. It's what can turn a sword into a cannon. Or a cannon into a gun. Or a gun into a nuclear bomb. It is why mankind is becoming more complex and powerful at such a fast rate.

Asking if the pen is mightier than the sword is just like asking:

Which is stronger, life or fire. Well, at first, fire would be the obvious answer, because life starts basic and weak. Single celled, you know. The fire is still in progress. Overtime, fires may devour and become bigger, but they don't evolve. They don't eventually develop the ability to survive contact with water. Yet, life builds in strength. Life evolves. And overtime, life eventually uses water to defeat fire. And life will come to harness fire, and use it as a slave to carry out it's interests.

This principal is no different when it comes to the pen. The pen eventually harnesses the sword to it's own will. The pen is mightier than the sword.

And now, for my counterargument

"I have a number of hobbies. One of them is fencing, as a joke. I once fought with a pen against a sword. I broke my thumb." - You did? Lol. No seriously, the pen and the sword aren't literal physical pens and swords.

"It has been said that history is written by the winners. Supposing this we are left with implication that though the pen may be a great product for social change it serves mostly at the behest of the sword" - True, but swords are products of work of the pen.

It appears I'm out of time. Well, all I have to say is, the power of the sword relies on the power of the pen. Therefore please vote pro.
Tatarize

Con

Pfft. Swords aren't crafted from the wisdom of the pens. That's stupid. Illiterate no-knowings were melting down copper and tin to make sharp bronze sticks long before anybody knew what a pen was. Try again.
vorxxox

Pro

God dangit, stop being so dang smart. I DON'T MEAN LITERAL SWORDS AND PENS. SWORDS SYMBLIFY WEAPONS. PENS SYMBLIFY KNOWLEDGE, WRITING, AND LITERATURE. SHUT UP AND ARGUE.

Ummm, ok.
Tatarize

Con

NO. NO. NO. Pens symbolize weak cowards who die really fast and swords symbolize strong valiant people who kill pens really really easily.

Ok!
vorxxox

Pro

This is why I have won this debate. I have explained that writing, literature, and knowledge are more powerful than brute force, and actually, the most powerful of mankind's weaponry came not from just carving stuff, it came from research and study and writing. Writing built our knowledge base, and it's allowed us to create new things at a fast rate. My opponent has built his argument on wise cracks. That's why he lost. He had poor conduct. And I had a better debate.

Please vote PRO.

Tatarize

Con

No. You have lost this argument because you supported a meek little device for spurting ink over the cold steel blade of justice. Writing hasn't built our knowledge base, science and exploration and discovery has. Pens are always second and simply record the swashbuckling awesomeness of the swords of our society.

Due to everything above and below and the obviousness of the topic,

Vote CON!

...
Posted by Bryan777 3 years ago
Bryan777
You would not be able to write any of these debates so freely without the sword. I've been reading through these debates. They are good; I like both sides. However, it appears that your main argument is that the pen created the sword and I'm not so sure that is true. It could be, but what came first, the chicken or the egg?

Let's just look back at some recent history. Would the Declaration of Independence have been signed without blood being drawn? Probably not. If this is true then the sword actually created the pen and/or permits its usage. Your argument for the pen rings true, but it is too far left or right on the spectrum. When something is indicated as being on one end of the extreme, the theory of opposites comes into play. In other words, as much as the pen created the sword, the sword created the pen. We can even look at the current state in parts of the world. For example in China, an individual has restricted or limited access to social networking media. Debates such as this one or perhaps more controversial would not be allowed in a communist country. You may say that it is the pen wielded by Chinese government officials that is making this so. However, the content of what is written is that they will punish people with the sword. It is the threat and/or actual usage of the sword that rules in this case, because most people will obey laws that threaten their physical being.

All of that being said, I am unsure whether the sword is mightier than the pen or vice versa. They may go hand in hand. For example, if people eliminated weapons in this era, what would we do if people abused the power of the pen? How would the perpetrators be stopped if we did not have swords?

You're right, the pen is powerful (i.e. White collar crime is devastating). What more than death will scare someone with a substantial amount of money?
Posted by Tatarize 8 years ago
Tatarize
Somebody actually objected to the "mighty my penis" line? That's a little odd. It's a reference to a very famous SNL skit.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org...

It was neither "nudity nor pornography".

---

Alex Trebek: Yeah, it was a trick question, Mr. Connery. Why don't you pick a category?

Sean Connery: I've got to ask you about the Penis Mightier.

Alex Trebek: What? No. No, no, that is The Pen is Mightier.

Sean Connery: Gussy it up however you want, Trebek. What matters is does it work? Will it really mighty my penis, man?

Alex Trebek: It's not a product, Mr. Connery.
Posted by rougeagent21 8 years ago
rougeagent21
i would agree. however, i did like tatarize's little fencing jibe at the beginning there. pretty clever;)
Posted by gregthedestroyer 8 years ago
gregthedestroyer
I agree with vorxxox. that is why you are winning. good job. tatarize you were immature and that video was dumb. sorry vorxxox you did not get a good debate
Vote Placed by s0m31john 7 years ago
s0m31john
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 7 years ago
Kleptin
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by falafel 7 years ago
falafel
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 7 years ago
Tatarize
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 7 years ago
JBlake
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by zach12 7 years ago
zach12
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by ournamestoolong 7 years ago
ournamestoolong
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by resolutionsmasher 7 years ago
resolutionsmasher
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by rougeagent21 7 years ago
rougeagent21
vorxxoxTatarizeTied
Vote Placed by Alex 8 years ago
Alex
vorxxoxTatarizeTied