The people who get good grades cheat

It is a proven fact that the people that get good grades only achieve them by cheating. Us regular Joes who acheive regular grades achieve them by hard work. First round acceptance.

I accept. I look forward to reading your arguments.

PlanetTutTutTurtle forfeited this round.

My opponent has forfeited their first round and not provided anything to rebut. As a note for the spectators of this debate, the time limit for each response is 5 minutes which I did not initially notice but as I accepted, I shall play by the rules to the best of my ability.

First of all, in order to win this debate, my opponent must prove that all people who get good grades get them by cheating. It is not enough for my opponent just to show that good grades aren't necessarily achieved through hard work. Studies previously conducted on the correlation between time spent studying (which could be considered how hard one works in school to a reasonable extent) and grades have found positive, negative and no correlations [1]. However, this does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that good grades are instead achieved by cheating by not some, but all of those who get good grades as my opponent is asserting.

I look forward to the next round of arguments.

Why do students cheat? Students cheat because of pressure from their parents to do well in school, rather than laziness. Those students that do well do so because of cheating.
-86% of high schoolers cheat..
-Most cheaters do not get caught.
-80% of students at the top of their class cheat.
My opponent:
1. Grades are achieved by hard work, as those who do not bring their homework home and work on it/ study for tests do not score well, and depending how well you learn, it will be harder to do well, which is why those who do not learn easily are more likely to cheat also, but it mostly depends on the enviroment they're in.

Today, we place an extremely high value on grades vs. education, so it is more important to get an "A" versus learning material, which is why cheating is widely accepted. The internet also makes it very easy to cheat.
The worst part of it is, students don't believe cheating is wrong, because America emphasizing winning no matter what. I thank my opponent for taking this debate.

Regardless of what percentage of students have cheated at some point in their education, this does not show that this led them to acquire good grades (this would likely have to involve systematic cheating over a long period of time).

I have already shown that studies conducted on the issue have shown conflicting correlations between the amount of time studied and the grades acquired.

In addition, the resolution of this debate states that, "The people who get goods grades cheat." The resolution does not say "most," or even "some." My opponent would have to prove that every single student who has acquired good grades did so through cheating, which he has not done.
Posted by vv0223 4 years ago
some people who get really good grades study harder and are just more used to to the skill/ subject.
Posted by Fusionized 4 years ago
Thank you for the rapid fire debate. It was actually quite suspenseful.
Vote Placed by Ricky_Zahnd 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: this is an absurd claim. pro failed to support it adequately in the debate, though it certainly would have been impossible for him to even with far more time and resources.