Adam2isback
Darx17

The phrase "History is written by the winners" is nonsense

Adam2isback

Pro

What the phrase implies is that a coverup is done and the bad histories of the winning country is covered up. That's nonsense. In most racist countries, like Denmark, Sweden, Israel, USA, UK, many of the textbooks are illuminated in racist imagery, with views of bigotry. It openly glorifies imperialism with racist language.

"History is written by the winners" would say something like the Danish conquest of Greenland was for beneficial reasons (Danish textbooks never state this; in fact they outright openly glorify their imperialism).
Darx17

Con

First of all I would like to say that I am looking forward to this debate and it is my first one on this website.

My argument will be that the phrase in question is in fact not nonsense because it forgets that today will be the history of tomorrow. One day all the current situations and hot topics will be presented in black and white, while there is a lot more gray going on, and who will go in the history books as a "righteous fighter for world peace" and who will be simply be remembered as the villain is all about how a particular situation ends up playing out and who ends up in a position of power.
Adam2isback

Pro

Not true. British and Danish colonialists for instance openly bragged about how they were stronger than the conquered people on many times, and in many of the textbooks from these countries, their conquests are bragged about and the concept of the "strong trample the weak" is glorified. There is also openly bigoted imagery in textbooks of both countries. There is no attempt to conceal. What "history is written by the winners" always denotes is that, according to this https://en.wikipedia.org...;, is that the bad stuff is concealed.

British, Danish, Israeli, and even American textbooks make no concealing of everything they've done. They are outright open about their conquests
Darx17

Con

Darx17 forfeited this round.
Adam2isback

Pro

Adam2isback forfeited this round.
Darx17

Con

Darx17 forfeited this round.