Massive0
pastaboyjrargues

The playing of video games has done more harm than good to society.

Massive0
Started: 10/25/2014 Category: Games

Massive0

Pro

My argument is that the playing of video games has had deterimental effects to society. To my opponent, and others who will following this debate, I would like you to know that I am not saying that gaming has had no positive effects but I am saying the positive effects it has had are outweighed by the negatives. I look forward to an entertaining and captivating debate as this will be my debut on this site.
pastaboyjrargues

Con

First of all, give me some context for your arguments. What were some of the negative effects of video games that you mention that can be directly linked to video games? What were some of the positive effects?
Massive0

Pro

There are VERY FEW positive effects of video gaming. Some of which include improved hand-eye coordination, fast and strategic thinking,etc [1] However, these positives only affect one party, that is, the player whilst the negatives have the potential to affect non-players. For example, these numerous shootings which are closely linked to the playing of video games.[2]. On a less tragic note, video games also increase violence and compulsive behavior which is not only destructive to the player but also to the people around him/her.[3]. When video games are played to an excessive level, they are known to cause addiction. The most popular of these addictive games being World of Warcraft which has literally destroyed people's social lives.[4]. Such games have the capacity to alter a player's sense of reality and cause the player to abandon real-life activities in preference to virtual reality. This has and will,in the near future, I assume, cause some mentally unbalanced buffoons to foolishly murder people or commit suicide as in these sad cases[5]. The mentally unbalanced people having descended into this mental state due to excessive playing of video games.Drifting away from these extreme cases and wandering into more common scenarios, students who play video games often forgo schoolwork in preference to video games. This causes their grades to fall and this ultimately has an effect on their future careers and standard of living. Players who take gaming to insanely absurd levels lose touch with reality and endanger themselves and those around them thinking that it is just a game. As a matter of fact, one wildly video game intoxicated brain dead young man said these irrational and disturbing words to the authorities after having murdered law enforcers: life is like a video game, you have to die some time.[6].

In places like USA and South Korea (I by no means do not mean to offend people in these countries and I am emphasizing that not all of them are encompassed in this debate) video game addicts have lost their real lives, both literally and not in the literal sense. Furthermore, video games limit the creativity of addicted players.[7] Despite it being unproven, it is highly probable that video games have an effect on IQ as well. The only people getting any real benefits from video games are those making and selling them for million dollar profits. Until the next round.....

[1] www.raisesmartkid.com/3-to-6-years-old/4-articles/34-the-good-and-bad-effects-of-video-games
[2] http://www.google.com...
[3] http://www.google.com...
[4] http://www.google.com...
[5] http://www.google.com...
[6] http://www.google.com...
[7] http://www.google.com...
pastaboyjrargues

Con

Though the positive effects of video games are woefully low in stature and usefulness, the negative effects as listed above are overblown to say the least. In your argument you state that "these numerous shootings which are closely linked to the playing of video games". While video games may play a minute role in the path of action to which the shooters took, all of the perpetrators of the recent shootings were mentally ill in some way. For example, Adam Lanza, the shooter in Sandy Hook, had a history of anxiety, depression, and crippling OCD starting around the age of 12. [1] As for your argument about video games being addictive, some studies have shown that video games can be addictive chemically, but others suggest that physiological trait may play a role in those who get addicted to video games, in that those who are inherently more susceptible to addiction than others. [2] Also, what evidence do you have fore the statement that "The mentally unbalance people having descended into this mental state due to excessive playing of video games", as this implies that shooters were driven to act on their thoughts by video games exclusively, and not just their mental instability. Moreover, in the more common cases of those who blow off their schoolwork to play video games, those individuals who's grades dip will almost certainly be confronted by a professor or a parent concerned that they might be playing to much.
Even if this hypothetical vacuum of influence were real, the child who forgoes obligations to play video games is at fault. It is not the video game that made the child skip schoolwork or chores, it was the child alone who made the decision. Again, in your paragraph where you mention the US and South Korea, you run on the assumption that those who play video games at an extreme and arguably unhealthy level are encounter resistance from a peer, spouse, family member, or teacher, assuming that they do not at any point realize that what they are doing is detrimental to their lives and get help by themselves. As for the quote from the Devin Thompson, even though he attributed his actions to GTA: Vice City, ensuing investigations uncovered a long history of physical and mental abuse he suffered as a child. [3] Such mental scars run deeper than those that are physical, and they can seriously call the decision-making ability of any individual into question. In conclusion, in those cases where individuals acted heinously who also frequented the digital realms of video games, in almost all of those cases, there was an underlying cause other than the video games. As for cases of addiction, the assumption that those who isolate themselves in video games have nobody in their lives to help them or that they cannot help themselves is a ludicrous proposition to say the leas

[1]http://articles.courant.com...
[2]http://www.video-game-addiction.org...
[3]http://murderpedia.org...
Massive0

Pro

For this round, I would like you to picture dynamite and fire. Sure enough, dynamite cannot explode without the ignition, which requires fire. Now this is exactly the same with video games and mentally ill players. The mentally ill people will not explode, so to speak, and by that I mean do something insanely stupid unless there is fire, which in this case symbolically means video games. What I am trying to point out to you is that the mentally challenged need some sort of stimulus to push them off the edge. Video games have proven to be strong enough and that is why we have all these killings and suicide cases. In the light of this, my client's claim "there is an underlying factor" holds no water.POINT CRUSHED.My client went on to naively say that in all these cases it is the player who commits the crime, not the game. If we were to adopt that view then we would be saying that if a 19 year old man was to gun down a 65 year old helpless woman, the former remains innocent as it is not him but the gun that committed the crime. To those who are paying close attention to this debate, please do not be swayed away from the fact that video games cause addiction by my opponent's use of hogwash like "scientists have chemically proven...." when all he is saying narrows down to video games being addictive. I would like to point out the fact that my opponent has done little to show the positive effects of video games and has only tried to underplay the negatives of gaming. This shows a lack of comprehension for the topic at hand.

My opponent claimed that video game addcits have teachers and proffessors to reprimand them. That is a very erroneous statement because of it were so, we wouldn't have all the World of Warcraft addicts we have today. As a matter of fact, 40% of World of Warcraft players are addicted.[1]If we were to calculate their total playtime we would end up with six million years.[2].Now, this debate has the word "society" in the topic, so I ask if those sixty million years had been converted to productive work, would society not be at a higher standing? My opponent has requested that I provide evidence for the statement, allow me to quote myself, "The mentally unbalanced people having descended into this state due excessive playing of video games." There's the evidence: ithp.org/articles/violentvideogames.html
In addition to the points I presented in the previous round, there is one crucial point about the effects of video games on health. Developers did try to get players to exercise whilst playing by making games like Nintendo Wii but it didn't just didn't have as much commercial success as the consoles which allow a player to play whilst sitted. These video games ultimately lead to obesity.[2].
In conclusion, I feel I have met all the logicalrequirements needed for me to win this debate, but I do believe the best debator is entitled to the victory(in that respect, vote pro).
I have one request before I rest my case: if my client is to quote me again, then I beseech him to use proper grammar and spellings. In the second round, I clearly wrote "mentally unbalanced" but my opponent went on to quote me as having wrote "mentally unbalance" whether as an attempt to tarnish my image or an unbiased mistake, I do not know but I pray that it not be done again.

[1]arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2006/08/7459
[2]kotaku.com/5891421/nearly-6-million-years-of-world-of-warcraft-healthy-for-players-brains
[3]www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1389096/Playing-games-encourages-obesity-teens-making-hungry.html
pastaboyjrargues

Con

pastaboyjrargues forfeited this round.
Posted by Massive0 2 years ago
Massive0
My apologies for that. Thank you for notifying me Ja50n. Please use this link as an alternative.

www.metroparent.com/Metro-Parent/March-2012/Whats-Killing-Creativity-in-Kids
Posted by Ja50n 2 years ago
Ja50n
@Pro source 7 in round 1 doesn't work...
Vote Placed by moneystacker 2 years ago
moneystacker
Massive0pastaboyjrarguesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro won had great arguments and not only that but their literally is no benefit from videogames unless you plan on getting a job in that field. All pro had to do was show harms and he did very well gj massive.
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
Massive0pastaboyjrarguesTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff