Rookie1989
Tommy.leadbetter

The positives of capitalism outweigh the negatives for the average person in a developed soc.

Rookie1989

Con

This will be my first debate. Being against, I contend that the benefits of capitalism do not outweigh the negatives wrought and that it is not a good economic model for the average person. The burden on myself is not to prove what a better economic model may be, only that the outcome of such a system is not overall net gain for an average person.

The rules are that this is a discussion centered on a currently developed society, not if capitalism was the way that the society reached that development. As stated above, this is not to prove a better model, but about positives and negatives. That will be for the next debate. Challenger will argue first. Good luck and I look forward to the debate.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Oh dear I seem to have accepted on the wrong side. Very sorry dear chap. Up with the revolution!

(I dislike capitalism, I agree with you, I didn't notice you where 'con') Sorry old bean.
Rookie1989

Con

Rookie1989 forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Tommy.leadbetter forfeited this round.
Rookie1989

Con

Rookie1989 forfeited this round.
Tommy.leadbetter

Pro

Tommy.leadbetter forfeited this round.
Posted by Mike_10-4 2 years ago
Mike_10-4
Capital is defined as the "means of production."
http://www.economicsdiscussion.net...

All systems of governance support the means of production (manufacturing, farming, utilities, etc). Therefore, all governments are essentially capitalist. The difference is, ownership of the capital.

In free market systems the capital is privately own. On the other end of the spectrum, communism owns all of the capital and they also include people as capital. Therefore, the people are in bondage to the government.
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
A hypothetical Communist society? I will debate that if so.
Posted by Tommy.leadbetter 2 years ago
Tommy.leadbetter
What is it supposed to be compared against?
Posted by EmptyOptimist 2 years ago
EmptyOptimist
@Rookie1989

I'm essentially on your side with this. I just wanted to recommend the book "Economics for Everyone" by Jim Stanford. It's a great introduction to economics from a view other than "Capitalism is great, economics proves it."