travis18352
LibertyAndJusticeForAll

The presidency of barack obama

LibertyAndJusticeForAll

travis18352

Con

first round-acceptance
second round-main arguments
third round-rebuttal
fourth round-further rebuttal and conclusion.

i will be arguing that barack obama has had a poor presidency so far.
LibertyAndJusticeForAll

Pro

Acceptance & Debate Introduction
I gladly accept the challenge. I will argue that Obama has had an extraordinarily marvelous presidency, taken into consideration the Republican opposition he faces. My opponent has not stated any rules and therefore I believe it is my duty to state them. I hope my opponent agrees with the implementation of these rules. First, sources will be cited using the MLA format. Secondly, there will be no forfeiting or conceding. Thirdly, proper spelling and grammar will be used. Finally, I believe that there should be proper conduct and no insulting language. I look forward to this debate and hope my opponent's argument is rational.
travis18352

Con

I would first like to point out that I am not a republican and I will not argue that republican policies are what america needs.
When Barack Obama was running for president he said that adding 4 trillion dollars of debt in 8 years was unamerican and unpatriotic. So five years into the Obama presidency and he has added 7 trillion dollars of debt. Obama was against the patriot act saying it harms our civil liberties and in 2011 he extends it and the NSA now stores all of our phone calls, emails, texts, etc... which is just another flip flop on Obama's part. The fast and furious program was a major failure. Giving guns to the Mexican drug cartels led to the killing of Brian Terry a US border patrol agent.The cash for clunkers program was designed promote environmentally friendly vehicles and fuel efficient cars. All it really did was destroy classic cars and release even more carbon emissions. The real reason he did it was to give people a reason to buy the new cars from the auto companies he bailed out. The green energy loans were also unsuccessful. He loaned billions of dollars to green energy companies that just went bankrupt. 535 million dollars to Solyndra and they went bankrupt. You can read about the green energy companies he loaned money to on this link. All the companies on this list are bankrupt or on their way out. http://blog.heritage.org.........
What about the Stimulus? He promised it would keep the unemployment below 8 percent but the unemployment rate didn't go under 8 percent until September of 2013 and reports are out there now that the numbers were faked for political purposes. Not only did it take till September of 2013 to get the unemployment below 8 percent but the stimulus was supposed to get the unemployment below 6 percent in 2012. Didn't come close to meeting expectations. He promised that the stimulus would immediately impact. saying that it will immediately create jobs because there are shovel ready jobs across the country. He later had to admit in 2011 that those jobs were not as shovel ready as he thought. He said that the stimulus would life 2 million people out of poverty but instead it resulted in 6.3 million falling into poverty as of February 2012. As i stated before Obama gave 35 billion dollars to green energy companies to create jobs most of those companies are now bankrupt. It may not be 2015 yet but he promised that the stimulus would bring 1 million electric cars to the road by 2015 and the Chevy volt is selling way below expectations.
http://www.usnews.com.........

I believe obamacare is a disaster. The website took a long time to get up and running and today it still isn't fully up and running. according to theblaze.com
http://www.theblaze.com.........
The website cost more than 1 billion dollars. how does a website that costs 1 billion dollars to build not be able to handle more that 50,000 people at a time? The obamacare law itself is a bad idea. Obamacare forces you to buy health insurance and if you don't you pay a fine. Why should i have to pay a fine because i don't want health insurance? My parents compared plans on healthcare.gov and the cheapest obamacare compliant plan they got cost 300 dollars more per month. How is that affordable? I believe that if we allow the free market to control healthcare the competition will naturally drive down costs allowing people to buy a plan that fits your needs at a cheaper price. Instead Obamacare forces you to have to have a plan that covers maternity care. Why should a man have to pay for maternity coverage or an 80 year old man or an 80 year old woman? If I wanted that covered i would choose a plan that has that coverage. Obamacare has met its goal for the first six months of 7 million signups but the whole goal of the law was to get the uninsured people in america, insured. But the president lied about being able to keep your plan if you like it so more people lost health insurance. Not everybody actually paid for their plans either. http://www.theblaze.com...
The IRS scandal is another reason why the Obama presidency is a failure. Why did former IRS head Douglas Shulman visit the white house 118 times in 2 years. There is no other reason that i can see other than working on a plan to target tea party groups. The Benghazi scandal is another flop by the Obama administration. All he had to do was say it was a terrorist attack and actually investigate it but instead he went to vegas for a fundraiser the next day. He said many times before the attack that Al Qaeda is on the run but actually its been growing since 911 and killing osama bin laden really didn't have a huge impact on Al Qaeda. The obama admin said said that osama bin laden is dead and general motors is alive and then a few days or weeks later Al Qaeda attacks the Benghazi consulate. Susan Rice went on the sunday talk shows and said that it was a spontaneous demonstration because of an internet video. Hillary Clinton said it was because of an internet video that they had nothing to do with. Just the tone she said it in shows its a lie. It was a well coordinated attack that killed 4 Americans including our ambassador. Hillary clinton told patricia smith that she would find out exactly what happened the moments before her son died and she still has no answers. but the democrats and Obama pass Benghazi, IRS, NSA, as fake scandals.
I await your response
LibertyAndJusticeForAll

Pro

Main Argument

When Barack Obama ran for office in 2008, the economy, as you surely know, was in the worst condition since the Great Depression. Unemployment stood at a very high rate. Healthcare was declining and jobs lost their value. This is due to greed in Wall Street and failed Republican policies.

Barack Obama, a senator from Illinois, who stood for hope and reform, seeked the presidency and won. Since his presidency began, there have been many positive changes in our economy. Unemployment rates have decreased in many states and the healthcare system known as “Obamacare” is greatly benefitting millions of Americans (I will go more in depth later). There are many statistics I could list, but I believe it would be best if you simply visited the following link: http://www.usatoday.com...

Obama has faced a Republican opposition ever since his presidency began. You must understand why and how Obama could not keep all of his promises. You must acknowledge that the Republicans have been blocking every single piece of legislation Obama has proposed, even though they would benefit us greatly. Obama is willing to compromise, unlike his Republican opponents. He has held meetings with leading Republicans and there has been nearly no progress because of their inability to successfully communicate with the president. However, without the support of Republicans, Obama’s presidency has still accomplished many things. He repealed “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell”, saved the American Auto Industry, ordered special forces to eliminate Osama bin Laden, ordered all military forces to leave Iraq (ended the war, last forces left on December 18, 2011), passed Wall Street Reform, passed Health Care Reform, started the closing of many old and dirty coal-fired power plants, passed Credit Card Reform, improved the Food Safety Program, expanded the protection of wildlife and wilderness (Omnibus Public Lands Management Act), invested in renewable energy, among many other accomplishments.

Contrary to popular belief, Obamacare is actually working. This healthcare system provides for better quality care for seniors, more benefits and protections, and you cannot be denied coverage for pre-existing conditions. Granted, Obamacare needs some changes, but it is overall a great healthcare reform and it is much better than what the Republicans proposed.

Overall, Obama’s presidency has been excellent and his accomplishments are marvelous. He has faced opposition and hate, yet he and his administration have accomplished many great things. I proudly support Barack Obama and will continue to do so.

MLA Citations

"Unemployment in December 2008 : The Editor’s Desk : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics."U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Web. 02 Apr. 2014. <http://www.bls.gov...;.

Davidson, Paul. "January Unemployment Rates down in 43 States." USA Today. Gannett, 17 Mar. 2014. Web. 01 Apr. 2014. <http://www.usatoday.com...;

"Obama’s Top 50 Accomplishments by Paul Glastris, Ryan Cooper, and Siyu Hu | The Washington Monthly." The Washington Monthly. Web. 02 Apr. 2014. <http://www.washingtonmonthly.com...;.

"Benefits Of ObamaCare: Advantage of ObamaCare." Benefits Of ObamaCare: Advantage of ObamaCare. Web. 02 Apr. 2014. <http://obamacarefacts.com...;.

travis18352

Con

Yes, unemployment stood at a very high rate and went even higher when Obama took office. During Obamas first year as president the unemployment hit 10 percent. Presidents always face opposition from the other party because that was how our founding fathers designed the country to run. If a president never faced opposition then it would turn into a one party system for the 4 years that he has been president. Free market healthcare would greatly benefit even more Americans. He should have implemented a system where competition drives prices down not the government. The reason why Obama did not keep all of his promises is because he only said them to get elected. Same reason why bush got elected because he promised to have a non interventionist foreign policy but instead he had us in 2 wars 3 years into his first term. Now one war was a war we needed to fight but Iraq was not our fight. The reason we went to Iraq was for oil. Despite popular belief Obama did not end the Iraq war. The Iraq war was ended by George W Bush. At the end of Bushes second term a deal known as the "status of forces agreement" was reached between Iraqi and US officials which cites that US forces would be out of Iraqi cities by June 30th 2009 and all US forces would leave Iraq by December 31st 2011. But even republicans don't know that bush ended the Iraq war because they always blame Obama for Al Qaeda taking Iraqi cities under their control.
http://reason.com...
I'm not going to argue against him passing wall street and credit card reform because that is part of what he actually did right. His renewable energy investments have largely failed. Most of the businesses he invested the money into are out of business now.
http://blog.heritage.org...
I agree with parts of obamacare. I agree that people should not be able to be denied converage for pre existing conditions. Republicans haven't proposed any alternatives to obamacare until today. Bobby Jindal proposed an alternative to obamacare. I am not yet sure if I support his plan because I have not yet had time to really dig thru it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com...
Obamacare is not working well because people are being kicked off their plans because they dont cover what obama wants covered. People should be able to choose what they want covered based on their needs. I don't think 80 year old men need maternity care covered in their healthcare plan.
Yes, Obama did save the auto industry but now that the auto industry is back Chrysler is now owned by Fiat. I do believe overall the auto industry bailouts were a success.
But if Americans really wanted change they would have voted for Ron Paul.
LibertyAndJusticeForAll

Pro

Rebuttals
My opponent has not provided sufficient evidence to support his claims. That is rather unfortunate. However, I will still refute the arguments he has made.

"Yes, unemployment stood at a very high rate and went even higher when Obama took office."
I already explained this in my previous argument.

"Presidents always face opposition from the other party because that was how our founding fathers designed the country to run."
The Founding Fathers, actually, designed this nation to be without parties.

"The reason why Obama did not keep all of his promises is because he only said them to get elected."
There isn't sufficient evidence provided here.

"I am not yet sure if I support his plan because I have not yet had time to really dig thru it."
Are you serious?

"But if Americans really wanted change they would have voted for Ron Paul."
Please, just please.

travis18352

Con

What I meant by the founders designed the country to run like this is that there is always opposition. Presidents always make promises they know they cant keep just to get elected. He promised to close guantanamo. That still has not happened. Yes I am serious because I have not yet read it so I will not support or not support it. It is true, the only person promising real change was Ron Paul.
LibertyAndJusticeForAll

Pro

Given the argument I have already made and taking the refutations into consideration, I believe my opponent must concede - I repeat, must concede - that the presidency of Barack Obama is actually beneficial. No politician - or person, for that matter - is perfect. Everybody makes mistakes. However, Obama is one of the view politicians that can actually recognize his mistakes and remedy the damage. Economically, the Obama presidency is excellent, taking the Republican opposition into consideration. I now conclude my part in this debate and look forward to my opponent's response and beginning of the voting period.
Posted by diesel47 2 years ago
diesel47
Obama is an idiot.
Posted by LibertyAndJusticeForAll 2 years ago
LibertyAndJusticeForAll
I made an error in my last argument. Oops. :D
LibertyAndJusticeForAll
:| Really, guys?
Posted by travis18352 2 years ago
travis18352
cmon man dont insult her
Posted by mr1234sharingan 2 years ago
mr1234sharingan
and your ugly as well :)
Posted by mr1234sharingan 2 years ago
mr1234sharingan
obama is a nigger
Posted by Buggie111 2 years ago
Buggie111
http://www.theblaze.com...

Source directly from Beck's site that counters opponents point.

http://www.washingtonpost.com...
LibertyAndJusticeForAll
It seems my opponent is simply copying and pasting his arguments from previous debates. That is unfortunate.
Vote Placed by miles-pro-libertate 2 years ago
miles-pro-libertate
travis18352LibertyAndJusticeForAllTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro's arguments looked and sounded pretty. Con could definitely improve on the organization, grammar, and communication of ideas. However, Pro's text sounded more like a narrative propaganda piece than a debate. Multiple claims with no base and much bias were integral to the arguments. Many things pointed out by Pro as accomplishments had no evidence supporting that they were beneficial to the nation to any major degree. Many of the points brought up by Con were very notable and were not refuted by Pro.
Vote Placed by imabench 2 years ago
imabench
travis18352LibertyAndJusticeForAllTied
Reasons for voting decision: con dropped just about every argument in the final round
Vote Placed by Conservative101 2 years ago
Conservative101
travis18352LibertyAndJusticeForAllTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro basically states that Obama's failures are the Republicans' faults. She says that 2008 was the Reps' faults even though she provides no evidence for it. She also ignored parts of Con's arguments, including the debt Obama has added. She states the ACA is a success but only says what it is and what it offers. Points awarded to Con.
Vote Placed by bettabreeder 2 years ago
bettabreeder
travis18352LibertyAndJusticeForAllTied
Reasons for voting decision: i Think it was a hard debate but here is my vote
Vote Placed by WilliamsP 2 years ago
WilliamsP
travis18352LibertyAndJusticeForAllTied
Reasons for voting decision: I give the conduct points to none because I feel both candidates had good conduct. Secondly, I believe Pro has better spelling and grammar because she capitalized everything that was supposed to be capitalized, unlike the few errors Con made. I give convincing arguments to Pro because of the complexity and accuracy of her arguments. Finally, I feel that Pro had more reliable sources because of her MLA formatting and her capacity to use more sources.