JasonMc
blond_guy

The press could be compromising the government's ability to protect the US

Started: 2/26/2008 Category: News

JasonMc

Pro

I frequently read articles like the recent Blog Network article: "U.S. Spies Want to Find Terrorists in World of Warcraft" By Ryan Singel [February 22, 2008, 2:15:43PM];
<http://blog.wired.com...; which report to the world, terrorists and all, known or suspected methods of our government to thwart terrorist activity. Unless it is somehow beneficial to our security agencies for the press to inform the public of such activities, the press could be compromising the government's ability to protect the US by informing terrorists of the means in which the government is using to apprehend them.
blond_guy

Con

First of all, your link leads to a "cannot be found" page. Second of all, I can see it's a blog. Who considers a blog as real media?
Most importantly, the media should have no restrictions. There is certainly damage that the media can cause to the country but the media rights are there because there's other stories that contain information that the government might not want us to know, but we deserve to know. But still, if there are spies sent out by the government, the government can't just expose them or give their information to the media. So not only you have no evidence, but the media is right in putting out information on whatever they know.
JasonMc

Pro

JasonMc forfeited this round.
blond_guy

Con

Ok you forfeit. If you're here next round please address my argument. 100 characters, 14 more, 7 more.
JasonMc

Pro

Sorry man, I meant no disrespect to you. I appreciate that you accepted this challenge, and I think you grasped the concept of the topic quite well (unlike some of those commenting). As one of the comments pointed out before I had a chance to, I felt that you conceded in the first round, and it kind of stole my thunder. After reading comments from SolaGratia, Korezaan, and MoonDragon613, I don't feel there's a chance of winning whether I make the best arguments or not.

Out of respect to you, however, I will address the points made in your reply. I provided the title and source of the article in my first argument in the event that the link provided was inactive. If you enter the title into a search engine, the report will be one of the first links available. Where as the article being "real media" is debatable, it is still reporting to millions information about known methods of our government to thwart terrorist activity. The source cites a credible data-mining report from the Director of National Intelligence which it dug up in order to make a newsworthy headline. I believe such actions are potentially damaging to our national security.

Basically, the only thing left to address is your claim that "the media is right in putting out information on whatever they know." I would disagree with the government having the ability to silence the media, and I totally support the media's ability to report information to the people they are supposed to be serving, but I maintain that they are committing a disservice to those people by potentially putting them in danger when reporting on certain issues. The media needs to incorporate some ethics in their reporting if they truly want to serve those who they are supposed to be providing a service to.
blond_guy

Con

"I would disagree with the government having the ability to silence the media"

Unlike some Ron Paul supporters will have you believe (no offense), the government DOES NOT have the ability to silence the media. That's why we have the media, so that we can all know what's going on. If the government can't keep something to themselves then they've got a problem, the media's just putting out to sell and inform.
Posted by Korezaan 8 years ago
Korezaan
RFD:

"Unlike some Ron Paul supporters will have you believe (no offense), the government DOES NOT have the ability to silence the media. That's why we have the media, so that we can all know what's going on. If the government can't keep something to themselves then they've got a problem, the media's just putting out to sell and inform."

you WISH it was that way. How bout this, I'll show you something. Go to Google Video. Look up "Enemy Image". Watch it. Come back and tell me if you're still convinced that censorship isn't happening. And even if you don't believe that, let's look to the 2008 Presidential Campaigns. Go to Google. Type in Mike Gravel Youtube censorship. Click the first result. Watch the video. Tell me, after you watch the video, that the government does NOT have the ability to silence the media.

I'm going to be a republican for a moment.

You're naive.

RFD: PRO
Posted by Marine_to_be 8 years ago
Marine_to_be
I feel that mass media in general sucks. They completely control what The people here. I do agree that we shouldnt be putting stuff in papers that could potentially harm the countries wellfair, however if the media was able to find out about it what would stop a terrorist from finding it on there own. And the gov. wouldnt release somthing that they dont want known.
Posted by Vikuta 8 years ago
Vikuta
Articles of this nature inform people of how the government is encroaching on their right to privacy. They point out how the government uses the threat of terror to discipline its population.
Posted by JasonMc 8 years ago
JasonMc
If it were certainly true, there would be nothing to debate about.
Posted by SolaGratia 8 years ago
SolaGratia
Since it is certainly true that the press COULD be compromising the government's ability to protect the United States, PRO has won by default.
Posted by JasonMc 8 years ago
JasonMc
To clarify for those who don't quite understand the topic, there's no way I would be able to prove that press IS compromising the government's ability to protect the US, because there's no evidence to support such a claim. To attempt to do so would be retarded. The point of the argument is that the media may be causing harm to this country by reporting on certain issues and they need to stop. My opponent grasped this concept quite well. If using "could" in my debate topic is so abusive, a) why would anyone accept the debate, and b) why wouldn't my opponent address this in his first round? Perhaps some of those people who are commenting need to read the debates they are commenting on. Having to explain what is quite clear to most makes debating on this site lose some of its appeal, as does having to deal with people who vote / comment on debates without even reading them.
Posted by MoonDragon613 9 years ago
MoonDragon613
wow, he conceded in the first round. impressive.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
Oh wait never mind, I take it back.
Posted by Korezaan 9 years ago
Korezaan
I just found a way to negate. I'ma take this up later today or sometime in the afternoon tomorrow if I've finished my homework and nobody's accepted yet.
Posted by JustCallMeTarzan 9 years ago
JustCallMeTarzan
Terrorists are obviously attacking every single american way of life - didn't you see the southpark episode about the imagination?? come on now - the terrorists are prolly trying to recruit Leroy Jenkins, the ultimate suicide bomber.
Vote Placed by Im_always_right 8 years ago
Im_always_right
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Danielle 8 years ago
Danielle
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by liberalconservative 8 years ago
liberalconservative
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by out_n_proud_HINDU 8 years ago
out_n_proud_HINDU
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by sluggerjal 8 years ago
sluggerjal
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Korezaan 8 years ago
Korezaan
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by DucoNihilum 8 years ago
DucoNihilum
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by LandonWalsh 8 years ago
LandonWalsh
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Marine_to_be 8 years ago
Marine_to_be
JasonMcblond_guyTied
Vote Placed by Vikuta 8 years ago
Vikuta
JasonMcblond_guyTied