tastytaco
debate_gal

The private ownership of handguns should be banned in the United States.

tastytaco

tastytaco

Con

This is my first debate at this website, but I have a pretty fair idea of what I'm doing. I'll let my opponent begin the debate with his or her case and I will go on to refute it and bring my case into the debate in round 2.

Thanks to whoever accepts.
debate_gal

Pro

I firmly agree with the resolution that states Resolved: The private ownership of handguns should be banned in the United States. For one, handguns, being one of the most easily accessible and usable types of guns, is one of the most commonly used murder weapons. Therefore, we can greatly cut down on crime by the simple banning of handguns. I would like to wish my opponent good luck in this debate.
tastytaco

Con

I'd like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. Good luck here, and in your other debates.

I disagree with the resolution that: The private ownership of handguns should be banned in the United States.

Now I'm going to first refute my opponents case and then move onto my own case.

So, my opponent's whole point basically boils down to the fact that handguns are some of the most commonly used types of murder weapons and that by banning them we can cut down on crime. Now, I do not disagree that handguns are used in today's crimes but, even if we eliminated them from the United States, there would still be crime, just committed with other weapons, or illegal obtained firearms, which leads to my first point.

Point 1: By banning firearms, you stop the trade of legal firearms, but those who obtain firearms illegally will still have them. I'm referring to gangs and those committing crimes. If we take guns away, they will still find a way to obtain them. It would be probable that they would obtain these firearms in some kind of system similar to that of today's drug dealer system. By doing this, we would increase the number of these kinds of people living in our nation, and have more problems with our borders as people sneak these weapons across the boarders. This would not be good, and may actually raise crime levels.

Point 2: Guns are used as a form of self defense by many more than as a offensive weapon(crime). I will use some examples from the International Society for Individual Liberty to help flesh out my point. (Link at bottom of the page.) "1,145 times a day handguns are used against robbers. 416 times each day women use their handguns to protect themselves from rapists. Overall, a gun in the home is 216 times more likely to be used in self defense than to cause the death of an innocent victim." And lastly "a recent study by Florida State University criminologist Gary Kleck found that Americans use guns defensively 2.5 million times a year."

As you can see, handguns are extremely helpful, and in their current state, much safer than if they were made illegal. This is why I think that handguns should not be banned from the United States.
debate_gal

Pro

debate_gal forfeited this round.
tastytaco

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited the last round. I will just reiterate my case pointing out to the voters in this debate.

1: I have shown how banning firearms could bring in a black market system that may actually raise crime levels. This has gone uncontested so far.

2: I have shown how guns are a legitimate article of many self defense, and used examples to show how helpful they are as well. This has also gone uncontested.
Due to the fact that I never actually posted the link in the last round, I will now post it.
http://www.isil.org...

Thanks to all who read this debate, and please vote Aff.
debate_gal

Pro

debate_gal forfeited this round.
tastytaco

Con

Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited a round again.

Please vote for me, since I have established a case that has gone uncontested, and have refuted, without contest, my opponent's case.

Thank you, please vote aff.
debate_gal

Pro

debate_gal forfeited this round.
Posted by mackoman_93 7 years ago
mackoman_93
Clash?

...nope.
Posted by tastytaco 8 years ago
tastytaco
Oh oops, to all those following this debate, I mean vote con. Newbie mistake. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted by snelld7 8 years ago
snelld7
>>>For one, handguns, being one of the most easily accessible and usable types of guns, is one of the most commonly used murder weapons. Therefore, we can greatly cut down on crime by the simple banning of handguns

Does this REALLY say something against hand guns? If the handgun is not there, something else will just become the most used weapon in killing. We wont cut down on crime, we just make murderes resort to a different weapon. It's like saying if we ban gloves, less murderers will get of off for murder, so gloves must be unjust.
Posted by ournamestoolong 8 years ago
ournamestoolong
If I take it, I'll take it tommorrow. Its late here.
Posted by tastytaco 8 years ago
tastytaco
Don't worry, I won't forfeit.
Posted by ournamestoolong 8 years ago
ournamestoolong
I may take it, but I smell a forfeit.
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
Me too, mongeese
Posted by mongeese 8 years ago
mongeese
I was so eager to accept it, until I saw that I would have to be PRO...
Vote Placed by mrbullfrog11 8 years ago
mrbullfrog11
tastytacodebate_galTied
Vote Placed by tastytaco 8 years ago
tastytaco
tastytacodebate_galTied