Stupidape
donkey

The probablity of Jonah dying from a great fish is greater than survivng.

donkey has forfeited round #3.

Stupidape

Pro

Full topic: Assuming Jonah existed, the probability of Jonah dying from a great fish is greater than surviving three days and three nights in the belly of a great fish.

Jonah is the character in the Bible that was swallowed by a great fish. [0]

I propose that instead Jonah was attacked by a great white shark which ripped him to pieces killing him, ate him, and digested him. Jonah was never seen again, but Jonah had an identical twin brother that went on to carry in his stead.

I fail to see the logic of Jonah surviving the teeth, jaw strength, digestion, and lack of oxygen for such a length of time.

0. https://www.biblegateway.com...
donkey

Con

Full topic: Assuming Jonah existed, the probability of Jonah dying from a great fish is greater than surviving three days and three nights in the belly of a great fish.<<

There is an actual account that the same thing happened years ago. I will try to find it and post it in my next response.

>>I propose that instead Jonah was attacked by a great white shark which ripped him to pieces killing him, ate him, and digested him. Jonah was never seen again, but Jonah had an identical twin brother that went on to carry in his stead.<<

To bad you have no evidence for your tail.

>>I fail to see the logic of Jonah surviving the teeth, jaw strength, digestion, and lack of oxygen for such a length of time.<<

You are leaving God out of the story. For one who can speak the universe and life into being, keeping Jonah alive would be piece of cake.
Stupidape

Pro

R2 rebuttals

Opponent's arguments in bold and italics.

"To bad you have no evidence for your tail." donkey

Great white sharks and identical twins exist this is common knowledge.

"You are leaving God out of the story. For one who can speak the universe and life into being, keeping Jonah alive would be piece of cake." donkey

There is no mention of God intervening between sending the great fish to swallow Jonah and Jonah praying. I think its safe to assume God didn't intervene. Also, I think it is far more likely that a great white shark killed Jonah and his identical twin brother replaced him, then for God to exist to perform the miracle in the first place.

There is no scientific proof of God. Considering the number of fields of science, this covers a lot of territory. From psychology, biology, astronomy, physics, and many more. Then, there is the problem of who created God? If you answer a creator of some sort, then that leads to infinite regressions. The common answer seems to be God existed before time, yet how does that work? God existing before time does not make any sense. This then begs the question, how did God begin existing in the first place?

It is far more likely that Jonah was killed by a great white shark and replaced by an identical twin, then for God to have saved Jonah via a miracle. Thanks for debating.
donkey

Con

There is no mention of God intervening between sending the great fish to swallow Jonah and Jonah praying.<<

Irrelevant. God started the process and He finished it.

In Jonah 1:17 God sends the great fish to swallow Jonah. In the very next verse, 2:1, Johan prays to the Lord.

>> I think its safe to assume God didn't intervene. Also, I think it is far more likely that a great white shark killed Jonah and his identical twin brother replaced him, then for God to exist to perform the miracle in the first place.<<

In a debate I KNOW it is unsafe to use things not in the text to try and make your point. First, great white sharks are not big enough to swallow a full grown man. If Jonah had a twin brother with him, the text would have mentioned it,

>>There is no scientific proof of God.<<

Sure there is. Science knows for sure that it is impossible for lifeless elements to produce life. So logically speaking the existence of life must have not only an omnipotent God, He must also be an Intelligent Designer.

>>Considering the number of fields of science, this covers a lot of territory. From psychology, biology, astronomy, physics, and many more. <<

None of those disciplines and any others you care to name can only operate in the physical world and they can't prove God does not exist. What you believe you accept the exact same way I accept what I believe---Faith alone. However I have logic on my side, Matter cannot produce itself out of nothing,

>>Then, there is the problem of who created God? <<

There is a bigger problem of did matter and life come into existence. IMO, logic is still on my side.

>>If you answer a creator of some sort, then that leads to infinite regressions. The common answer seems to be God existed before time, yet how does that work? God existing before time does not make any sense. This then begs the question, how did God begin existing in the first place?,,

Since we have life and matter and a perfectly ordered universe it is impossible for them not have been creatged. There ae 2 options: life and matter are eternal or the is an eternal Creator. Again my logic wins.

>>It is far more likely that Jonah was killed by a great white shark and replaced by an identical twin, then for God to have saved Jonah via a miracle. Thanks for debating.<<

You are introducing elements into the story that are not mentioned, and for which you have no evidence. That is usually fatal in a debate.

You are welcome and I also thank you for debating the subject.
Stupidape

Pro

Thanks for continuing the debate. There is two subjects we are disputing first, elements not within the story and second Abiogenesis.

"You are introducing elements into the story that are not mentioned, and for which you have no evidence. That is usually fatal in a debate." donkey

First, you are using the same tactic, introducing elements into the story that are not mentioned. You claim God intervened on Jonah's behalf before Jonah prayed, yet there is no evidence within the story of that happening. Second, the topic is Assuming Jonah existed, the probability of Jonah dying from a great fish is greater than surviving three days and three nights in the belly of a great fish.

I am arguing that it is more probable. I don't need to prove Jonah was attacked by a great white shark, only prove it was more probable than him surviving for 3 days and 3 nights inside the great fish.

Abiogenesis

Abiogenesis is a scientific theory which hypothesizes that the first lifeforms, single celled organisms, was created from inorganic matter.

Warrant: [1]

Impact: Abiogenesis is a scientific explanation for the origin of the first lifeforms thus countering my opponent's claim that God is the only answer for first lifeforms.

Thanks for the debate.

1. http://science.howstuffworks.com...
Posted by Stupidape 6 months ago
Stupidape
"Somebody went full pus*y mode...it's official." Brontoraptor

Ad hominem.

http://www.skepdic.com...
Posted by Stupidape 6 months ago
Stupidape
"Anyone could easily shred this stupidape guy. All you would have to point out is that the Bible says Jonah was swallowed by a whale, not a shark, " xXkorvexiusXx

If you read the Bible, it says great fish, not whale.

"Now the Lord provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights." NIV

"17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights." KJV

https://www.biblegateway.com...
https://www.biblegateway.com...
Posted by xXKorvexiusXx 6 months ago
xXKorvexiusXx
Anyone could easily shred this stupidape guy. All you would have to point out is that the Bible says Jonah was swallowed by a whale, not a shark, and his proposal (and following his entire argument) falls apart. I will not accept this debate as I have no wish for an easy and quick win against a guy who is clearly illiterate on the story he is contesting.
Posted by brontoraptor 6 months ago
brontoraptor
Somebody went full pus*y mode...it's official.