KingDebater
jtg007

The process of Gift Giving is a waste of time.

jtg007

KingDebater

Pro

The other day, my friend bought me a gift. I opened it and laughed, as the product itself was useless to me. He bought me an electric tooth brush. I don't know what I'll do with that as my teeth do not happen to be electric.

So that's what inspired this debate. I now think that Gift giving is a waste of time, really.

To Clarify, semantics and trolling will result in a 7-point loss and the burden of proof is shared.

I thank you.
jtg007

Con

Thanks for starting this debate.

Pro's thesis isn't really clear, but I'll accept the title, "Gift giving is a waste of time" as what I will argue against.
Pro doesn't specify under what circumstances he supports his thesis, thus we have to assume that "Gift giving, under all circumstances, in every case, is a waste of time." So upon presentation of only one situation of the giving of a gift NOT being a waste of time, the thesis is disproved.

Let's suppose you have a significant other. And one day, on the anniversary of your relationship, your significant other hands you a rose, as a symbol of his/her undying love for you. You take it and slap him/her across the face with it, because, "Gift giving is a waste of time."

OK, maybe that is a poor example. The point is that the process of gift giving has a deeper significance than just of actual process of exchanging purchased merchandise. And the expression of those deeper meanings are not wastes of time.
KingDebater

Pro

I thank Con for accepting this debate.

The resolution is that Gift Giving is a waste of time, so here we go. For the record, I'll define gift giving as the exchange of items between two or more people.

Who knows yourself best?
First, Gift giving is a waste of time because if you bought the gift yourself, chances are that you'll get a better gift that you actually want rather than if someone else got it for you. Con may respond with the argUment that gift giving is an exercise to find out how well person x knows person y, but does this make gift giving any better?

How well do I know you?
Even if Gift Giving is a test of how well one person knows another, it is still a waste of time. You could simply ask someone what they thought you wanted, and then by doing that, not only is it much quicker, but it also saves the risk of them buying something you don't like, which would be a waste of time too because then earning the money used would be wasted, and you'd have to spend time selling X thing you don't want, so you'd be back to square one with a lot of time wasted, all thanks to gift giving.

The hassle to get someone a gift.
Another hassle in the process of gift giving is finding someone else a gift and wasting all that time trying to think of what they'd like. This whole hassle is removed by simply buying your own things.

There, I have presented my arguments which come to the conclusion that gift giving is a waste of time. My main argument being that you could save so much time by simply getting the gift yourself.
jtg007

Con

Thanks, Pro, for the quick reply. First off, I'd like to clarify the definition of "Waste of Time," which you use in a literal sense to denote an inefficiently time-consuming way of doing something. Also of note is the thesis only argues that the "Process of Gift Giving" of giving is a waste, which does not include the process of shopping and/or planning. This immediately refutes your third point, which only addresses the process of acquiring gifts.

For your first and second point you debate the practical efficiency of giving, assuming the case of x and y, you claim that if x bought y a gift, and that y bought y a gift, y's gift for y would be a "better" gift than x's gift for y. You fail to define "better," but it can be assumed that you mean better-suited or more relevant, i.e. y would like or enjoy it more. This would be true if the only weight a gift carries is that of its physical contents. According to studies cited by USAToday, people don't usually give out o selfish, rational, or practical reasons, but either out of strong emotion for the other person or the condition of generosity, which which case giving triggers the release of oxytocin and makes the giver feel good inside [1]. So while x's gift may be practically useless, as in the case presented your original argument statement, x's gift carries emotional significance for both x and y which outweighs, in most cases in which y is not a detached cynic on DDO, the practicality of y's own selfish gift.

I have refuted all of your arguments and presented counter-points which surpass them. Due to the scientifically documented emotional significance that personal gifts, regardless of their actual practicality, carry, a seemingly pointless exchange of items is not actually a waste of time, as the time spent is not without beneficial return.
Posted by jtg007 4 years ago
jtg007
There is a fine line between quibbling over semantics and distinguishing irrelevant arguments. You didn't clearly say the whole process, but worded it rather carefully to say "The Process of Gift Giving."

The process of gift giving is the process of giving gifts. You can't just randomly claim to have included some other activity.
Posted by KingDebater 4 years ago
KingDebater
Also, I see that Con was using semantics in the last round, by saying that the process of gift giving doesn't include shopping or planning. This is against the rules. I clearly meant the whole process, you know, which includes shopping and planning.
Posted by KingDebater 4 years ago
KingDebater
jdog2016 and magiqdan, would you care to explain your votes?
Posted by DanT 4 years ago
DanT
Posted by KingDebater 4 years ago
KingDebater
As for your coUNTER-ARGument, yoU FAIL TO RECOGNIZE THe FACT tHat wiTH A gift you BOUgHt YOurself, you wiLL ENJOy it and THERefoRE feel GOOd. Even if yoU COULD REFUTE thAt, yoU STIll hAVE THE PROblem of you faiLING TO PROVE THAT THE feeliNG YOU GEt is aCTUally woRTH ALL THAT hassle. (soRRY for tHE RANDOM CAPItal lettERS, MY keyboard IS A BIt messeD up)
Posted by jtg007 4 years ago
jtg007
Totally forgot my source, my apologies.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com... is where I found my research.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 4 years ago
Ragnar
KingDebaterjtg007Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro set himself up badly by complaining that his teeth are not electric. His points on round 2 seem to indicate either being very lucky in dating, or having never attempted it. Finially for it to be a waste of time, time has to have an assigned value lost. Whereas Con has pointed out value to the while thing.
Vote Placed by MaqicDan 4 years ago
MaqicDan
KingDebaterjtg007Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro took on the side that no one would vote for in their right mind, therefor in order to receive my vote pro would have to give a hell of a lot of strong convincing logical points to make the round fall in his direction. Doing so he would prove to be a good debater (taking on the harder of the two positions) and would win. Although I feel as if he put too much on his plate due to the fact that he was unable to do this. Interesting round, pat yourselves on the back
Vote Placed by jdog2016 4 years ago
jdog2016
KingDebaterjtg007Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Good debate. However Pro's arguments fell flat.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
KingDebaterjtg007Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con argued that gift giving includes a symbolic expression of caring or motion. that's rather obvious, but Pro didn't adequately address the point either at the outset or in rebuttal. Pro has to argue that time spent expressing emotion is wasted, but he didn't do that.
Vote Placed by Subutai 4 years ago
Subutai
KingDebaterjtg007Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Although con proves that getting a gift is a lot better than buying that gift yourself, he doesn't prove that that overcomes the hassle and time of giving a gift. Pro is right on when he says that no one knows yourself better than you do, and no one else could pick a better gift for yourself than you. The hassle is not worth it, especially when there's a chance the person you are giving a gift to won't like the gift. Sources to con because he was the only one to use them.