Kierkegaard
TheRaven

The pursuit of an absolute Truth is immature, closed-minded, and detrimental to society.

Kierkegaard

Pro

Since the contention has already been stated, I will grant my opponent their first round to present their arguments.
TheRaven

Con

I thank my opponent for starting this and look forward to a good debate.

Definitions.
Absolute Truth- fixed, invariable, unalterable fact.
Immature- not mature.
Close-minded- Intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others; stubbornly unreceptive to new ideas.
Detrimental- causing damage or harm to.

Basically the burden of the Pro is to prove that attempting to find an absolute truth is not mature, intolerant of the beliefs and opinions of others, and causing harm to society. The Con burden is to show that attempting to find a fixed fact is not one of these things.

I offer four reasons to negate.

1) The presence of an absolute truth. Simply put, if I can prove that there is an absolute truth, then you should default to the Con. This is because if there is an absolute truth, then in no way can searching for it be immature, intolerant of beliefs, ect. Thus I offer three absolute truths. The first of which is the universal law of gravity gravity exists, as we can clearly see in the world around us.
The second is that my opponent, in the instance of this debate, has chosen to argue for the resolution, and that all those who read this debate will see it as such.
The third is that E=MC2. (Should be squared, but I don't know how to get it into superscript mode.)
I also note that my opponent is trying to prove in his resolution, an absolute truth, as stating such a fact is saying it is an absolute truth.

2) The pursuit of an absolute truth is in no way immature. Immature is defined as being not mature, or not being at a state of full natural growth or development. Thus we this poses the question, what is the state of full natural growth or development? We must look at it as this: that the full state of development is when one is fully capable of knowledge and understanding. This makes sense as a mature individual does not fit a physical definition, as then Steven Hawkins could not be mature, yet certain adults who are immature yet physically fit could be called mature. Thus the prior definition of full development should hold true. Now when we examine this, the pursuit of an absolute truth is far from immature. In fact, it fits right under the definition of maturity as in order to seek, much less find an absolute truth, one must be able to examine an issue from all sides and fully understand it before coming to any conclusion. To seek an absolute truth requires full knowledge and understanding by seeking it, thus it is not immature.

3) The pursuit of an absolute truth is in no way close-minded. Let me start this point by making an observation; obviously some people will take any path including pursuing an absolute truth in a close minded manner. However the pursuit is not close-minded, it is the way the individual is making the pursuit that is close minded, and thus the individual who is close-minded. Therefore allow me to point out that in order to seek an absolute truth that affects everything, one must take everything into account. If one is to pursue a fact that is completely unalterable, one must observe different people and different circumstances. Obviously this is not close-minded.

4) The pursuit on an absolute truth is not detrimental to society. Throughout history, people have gone to wars because of cultural differences, hatred, ect. However, imagine a world where killing was recognized as universally wrong. War could no longer happen, genocide would end, and there could be peace. However, my opponent would state that the pursuit of proving killing is universally wrong is detrimental to society? Obviously, it is not. Wars are often started as a result of differences in cultural beliefs and hatred as a result, however seeking to find what is truly right and wrong would be able to end much of this, if not all of it. Additionally, ignoring absolute truths is even more detrimental to society. If we refused any truths, then in WWII, we could not have stopped Hitler's Holocaust as there would be no way for anyone to state it as wrong. Therefore pursuing an absolute truth does not harm society.
Kierkegaard

Pro

Kierkegaard forfeited this round.
TheRaven

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited. Extend all of my arguments.
Kierkegaard

Pro

Kierkegaard forfeited this round.
TheRaven

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited to what I thought would be a very interesting debate. I therefore urge a Con vote.
Posted by Kierkegaard 6 years ago
Kierkegaard
Oh, stop being all serious.
Posted by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
Idiot votebombers. -.-"
Con rightfully won, and Pro is pathetic for voting for himself.
Posted by SexyLatina 6 years ago
SexyLatina
:3

notallcaps
Posted by Kierkegaard 6 years ago
Kierkegaard
We're tied?

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Posted by SexyLatina 7 years ago
SexyLatina
I'm voting Pro based on the ingenious "time-suck" arguments.
Vote Placed by GeoLaureate8 6 years ago
GeoLaureate8
KierkegaardTheRavenTied
Vote Placed by Atheism 6 years ago
Atheism
KierkegaardTheRavenTied
Vote Placed by SexyLatina 6 years ago
SexyLatina
KierkegaardTheRavenTied
Vote Placed by Kierkegaard 6 years ago
Kierkegaard
KierkegaardTheRavenTied
Vote Placed by TheRaven 8 years ago
TheRaven
KierkegaardTheRavenTied